I just watched the interview on the Wales Politics show, at least Spencer Birns sees a future for the airport, Ms Aghar doesn't give it any support, she wants it sold, doesn't she realise that the airport supports over 2000 jobs, for workers in South Wales. If the airport was sold some of the jobs could easily move elsewhere outside of Wales.
I think there is the failure to realise that even if the airport is privately owned it's likely that the owners would look to the Welsh government for help especially in these times.

Another pointless article that just encourages a lack of confidence in booking flights from Cardiff. Hopefully when flights PAX numbers increase after winter they will publish something a little more positive.

Another pointless article that just encourages a lack of confidence in booking flights from Cardiff. Hopefully when flights PAX numbers increase after winter they will publish something a little more positive.
I doubt it they'll probably not publish anything at all!
The title though does suggest that the airport is asking for another bailout rather than referring to the previous one.

I just watched the interview on the Wales Politics show, at least Spencer Birns sees a future for the airport, Ms Aghar doesn't give it any support, she wants it sold, doesn't she realise that the airport supports over 2000 jobs, for workers in South Wales. If the airport was sold some of the jobs could easily move elsewhere outside of Wales.
I think there is the failure to realise that even if the airport is privately owned it's likely that the owners would look to the Welsh government for help especially in these times.
The BBC article is not clear what the Conservative spokeswoman has in mind when she says the airport should be sold. I haven't watched the tv programme referred to by geoff so don't know if she elaborated on her view in that. Does she want the site sold for, say, housing or as an airport under private sector ownership?

I heard the previous FM tell a BBC Radio Wales interviewer the day after the government's intention to purchase CWL was made public which was just before Christmas 2012 with the purchase completed the following March that the intention was to find a private sector partner. That never happened perhaps because an arrangement could not be agreed that was suitable to both a private sector partner and the airport owners.

Since then the question of private sector involvement has cropped up in the news from time to time with as, far as I'm aware, an ultimate intention when the time is deemed right to look for private sector partnership in a minority shareholding.

The Conservatives seem to want all vestige of public ownership of CWL removed.

In the present situation with the pandemic refusing to fade significantly one has to wonder how easy it would be to sell the airport without almost giving it away and, as Jerry suggests, there might then have to be ongoing government assistance for a while.

Looking in from outside Wales it seems to me that the only practical option, at least for the foreseeable future, is to retain the airport in government ownership and to continue to provide the means for it to remain operational. When matters return to normal and growth returns might be the time to raise the question of private sector ownership, whether in full or as a partner with the government.

The title though does suggest that the airport is asking for another bailout rather than referring to the previous one.
I think the banner to the BBC article is intended to draw in people to read it - is it called 'clickbait'?

From the CEO's initial comment it seems the banner really means: Cardiff Airport would have been dead without the £85 million bailout rather than Cardiff Airport will be dead without another bailout. If Covid continues to impact aviation negatively there might well be a need for further help from the airport's owner though.

The BBC article is not clear what the Conservative spokeswoman has in mind when she says the airport should be sold. I haven't watched the tv programme referred to by geoff so don't know if she elaborated on her view in that. Does she want it sold with the site used for, say, housing or as an airport under private sector ownership?
Nothing, she just had the soundbite of cut the losses and sell it, while another person just essentially says close it because of climate change. Neither either have thought their positions through or actually even care. Like the CBI person said how can Wales be a credible place for inbound investment or inbound tourism without an airport? The reality is that it's current problems are down to the restrictions in place because of Covid which is effecting it's recovery. The report starts about 24.35 in the link below.

Over the weekend the Scarlets and Cardiff Rugby were supposed to be playing in South Africa in the Untied Rugby Championship. Due to South Africa going on the red list the games were abandoned. The Scarlets flew from Cape Town to Dublin with Zebre and are now isolating in Belfast. Cardiff had 2 cases test positive and are still in South Africa. Neither team are able to fly into Cardiff because Wales doesn't have a quarantine hotel or facilities.

It's ridiculous, that a country like Wales with a population of over 3million people, cannot put up one of our own rugby clubs players in an hotel for isolation in their own country. This Welsh Government doesn't even want residents of Wales coming back via CWL, from abroad, to use the airport, and people wonder why it is losing money.

Considering that the Welsh URC teams travel and South Africa has been high risk before i'd have thought that there would be some sort of contingency put in place not just for rugby teams but for other sport teams as well.

Welsh Government have had a very cautious approach when it has come to air travel. In fact it was well published that they were preferring people to only travel when essential abroad quite a while after other U.K. regions.

Welsh Government have clearly been trying to discourage people arriving into Wales from a red list country by making it impossible directly. This would mean they would be clear if COVID by the time they actually arrive in Wales if they were potentially carrying symptoms.

Also why should sporting teams have further exemptions as general public shall only complain for preferential treatment.

Also why should sporting teams have further exemptions as general public shall only complain for preferential treatment.
Because they are professional sporting teams that would've been kept in their own isolated covid bubble. According to reports Cardiff Rugby had a quarantine facility lined up where they could've quarantined and trained but the WG threatened them with severe consequences if they entered Wales. So now they'll fly to England and quarantine in England while the Scarlets will stay in Belfast. Welsh citizens/residents refused entry to their own country by their own government but I'm sure that if many of those same players win the Six nations those same politicians will be inviting them to the Senedd for photographs and congratulating them.

The WG is run by a bunch of incompetents . Does Dripford not realise that the people in the north of Wales will continue to use Manchester or Liverpool airport. The people in mid Wales will continue to use Birmingham and in the south they will continue to pour over the bridge in their thousands to use Bristol .His idea of trying to isolate Wales is nonsensical, but what can you expect from someone who has never worked in he real world of commerce.

Since when do you quarantine as a large group? You should always quarantine individually.

There are exemptions for elite sporting teams but not when it comes to Red List Countries and too my knowledge has never been.

I firmly believe the Welsh Government and U.K. Government are right in this case. There will be outcry if they did allow them to come home especially when jo public has to follow the rules.

I firmly believe the Welsh Government and U.K. Government are right in this case. There will be outcry if they did allow them to come home especially when jo public has to follow the rules.
The article in the link below argues everything better than I could.

There are exemptions for elite sporting teams but not when it comes to Red List Countries and too my knowledge has never been.

Scarlets have now forfeited their European Champions Cup match at Bristol Bears this coming Saturday which means Bristol are awarded a 28-0 win per tournament rules.

It's another highly unsatisfactory element to this saga. I support Bears but I don't want to 'win' this way. The competition organisers say that there is no gap in the packed European calendar in which to rearrange the match.

Had the WG allowed Scarlets and Cardiff to return via CWL and then isolate in Wales would these teams have returned earlier which might have enabled the Scarlets match to take place?

Am I right in saying that Wales's international travel restrictions are no more onerous than England's but the WG has been asking people not to travel overseas unless essential? The CWL CEO has been hinting publicly more than once that this is having an effect on CWL's recovery. It must be difficult for him to be too outspoken against the policies of the owners of his airport.

Scarlets have 14 squad members fit and 32 squad members isolating in Belfast, They considered playing the match with a mix of squad members and academy players and possibly some loan players from other Welsh regions. It would not have been a fair match and the Bears would probably won by a cricket score, so the decision was taken to forfeit the match. I personally believe that the Scarlets and Bears could have rearranged the match at a mutually convenient date.
TYL, your last paragraph is a pretty accurate assessment of the state of things in Wales. The airport CEO must feel he is working with one hand tied behind his back.

I think on this instance there should have been an exception by the tournament organisers as it was not the teams fault they were out in South Africa because of the format of the tournament. It means that the regions who hadn’t been out in South Africa will have an unfair advantage.

I do believe and strongly believe that Welsh Government was correct to not exempt the regions from isolating.

This week the news is rife of a political party who possibly held a party while everybody else was forced into a lockdown. So again we cannot be in a situation where there’s a rule for one and a different rule for everyone else.

Especially this whole isolate in a bubble so they can train. There was a couple on Tv today who had arrived back into the country and was in quarantine they are allowed to have two lots of exercise today so allowed outside in a controlled environment at maximum of 30 minutes each.

The CWL CEO has been hinting publicly more than once that this is having an effect on CWL's recovery. It must be difficult for him to be too outspoken against the policies of the owners of his airport.
It must be very frustrating when you're trying to recover from the pandemic and your owners are telling people not to use you, putting in place barriers to using you and essentially telling everyone that your not the gateway to Wales and undermining one of the strategies of the last few years.

Scarlets have now forfeited their European Champions Cup match at Bristol Bears this coming Saturday which means Bristol are awarded a 28-0 win per tournament rules.
I wonder if they'd done that if they were at home? Cardiff Rugby are stilling playing their fixture against Toulouse with essentially the C team which will include academy players. I suspect Cardiff can't afford to lose the revenue.

P&O Caribbean Cruise holidays are on sale for Winter 2022/2023.
CWL has 2 dates - 4th - 18th November 2022 and 4th-18th February 2023.

They still also have Cruise holidays available this Winter departing 28th Jan 2022 and 18th Feb 2022.

TUI also have their own holidays departing 27th November 2022 and 29th January 2023.

That's not too bad but it's a far cry from from when CWL had 9 cruise flights during a winter season.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock