Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
A member of Gregg's the bakery has told a colleague of mine that Gregg's will be leaving the airport in April. They have apparently been told that Gregg's doesn't fit in with the airports retail plans. If this is true it will be a massive blow for both passengers and staff at the airport especially as Gregg's is currently the cheapest food outlet on site.

Also, Alpha Retail is to open a second shop on the first floor before the summer.

• Admin
Re: Leeds Bradford - Retail Thread

I've heard nothing else to substantiate my colleagues claim that Gregg's is closing in April. Hopefully he was wrong. I'll miss the cream buns especially if it turns out to be right.

If they think that I will be buying £4 butties in the cafe upstairs, they are sorely wrong!!!!! It's bad enough paying 31.59 for a tea bag in water.

Sorry meant £1.59...might as well be 31.59!!!

Aviador said:
member of Gregg's the bakery has told a colleague of mine that Gregg's will be leaving the airport in April. They have apparently been told that Gregg's doesn't fit in with the airports retail plans. If this is true it will be a massive blow for both passengers and staff at the airport especially as Gregg's is currently the cheapest food outlet on site.

i think it would be a big loss for the airport , it might not be right for the airport but its RIGHT for the passengers and its us passengers that count first!!!!!!!!!

• Admin

It looks like Gregg's is indeed going to be leaving the airport at the end of March. It now seems to be common knowledge that Gregg's is closing.

Strange then that the papers for the consultative meeting tomorrow don't mention this at all, although they do mention changes to various other retail outlets on the landside and airside of the airports. Maybe they will mention it tomorrow if the decision has been made since the meeting notes were drafted.

• Admin

To be fair I haven't asked Gregg's in person, but it does seem like they are leaving.

• Admin

I can confirm that Gregg's are leaving LBA at the end of March. Bad news for both passengers and staff working at the airport. Gregg's staff say that Gregg's want to stay at the airport but the airport says it isn't going to fit into the airports retail plans.

Also, the new Alpha shop that is going on the first floor of the departure lounge is going to be branded as 'World Duty Free' shop.

I'm a big fan of Gregs pasties, but I was suprised when they opened in the first place.

With no cafe seating area to speak of, selling take away sandwiches, flakey pastry pasties and gooey cream cakes always seemed carazy in an airport environment, surely causing a trail of crumbs and flakes that would mean headaches for the cleaning staff and a problem when the pasty-munching passengers hit the security screening area - do they X-Ray the half eaten pasty and allow the passenger to wander into duty free to handle the bottles and cartons with greasy fingers, or are they forced to eat them outside with the smokers. Surely if allowed through security it also would go down like a lead balloon with the airside caterers.

If they think I am going to pay £4 for a shoddy sandwich in the upstairs cafe, they have another thing coming. I will have to buy my goodies at the Yeadon branch before coming up to the airport.

Like so many Bigman. I see many passengers carrying their own food and beverages these days even with Gregg's still at the airport for the time being. The silly idea of charging 'service station' prices doesn't bode well with passengers or staff. All they say is "this is too expensive, have done with it and we'll bring our own."

The new World Duty Free shop has opened on the first floor of departures. It's only a very small addition to the ground floor Alpha Duty Free shop but they have spent some money on it. It does look rather permanent considering we're supposed to be getting a whole new area for retail outlets. I wonder if this will become another retail shop when the new extension opens assuming it does get built of course.

As much as i love my airport Greggs and it has had them all miffed at Select Service partner (who hold all the other catering units) - it is not in keeping with the development of a bigger more sophisticated International airport. Its almost "tacky" in ways and sometimes as i pass through the doors at arrivals and see "GREGGS" i just think... tut tut only at LBA.

Like most big airports in the UK am sad to say LBA will be stuck with Select Service partner for the forseable future... the food is poor, overpriced!! and some of the staff clearly dont want to be ther and get paid pittence no doubt! Its not fair, it shouldnt be allowed and fair competion should be encouraged.. especially in these difficult times.

I think a more suitable unit to have at the airport would be a Subway, Bagelnash or Simillar

Or... moving the Arrow office back into that space... in its current place when busy people can hardly set foot out of the arrivals door without ending up in the taxi que!!!! :eek:( why is everything so badly thought out and planned at my little LBA!! :eek:(

WH Smiths landside store will be relocating over the next few weeks to the B-hall area. It's not clear yet if the store will replace Gregg's when they depart.

Told today that along with WH Smiths, Superdrug and the car hire companies are to relocate to the B-Hall area during April.

i take it this is to make way for extensive refurbishment and extension to the Hall A area and respective walk ways. There is also talk of administration offices above this area on the first floor (SSP X2, KLM X2, BMI, SERVISAIR, AVIANCE) - will also be moved as work begins. To what location.... is not known?

Yes that will be paramount for the work to begin. I would have thought that either the basement area (formally know as gate 20) would be the best location to house new offices, alternatively temporary portacabins could be located at the top of the AA car park. (Yorkshire Executive) If the basement area is used it could potentially provide a new crew airside access point should the airport decide to consider it.

Its a shame they cant relocate these admin offices to the basement area on a permanent basis thus giving a lot more room for us passengers, which is needed when you get a few flights in together.

The new development will give a substantial amount of space to passengers. Virtually the entire first floor will be the departure area for passengers incorporating many new retail shops and seating (something of which the current departure area definitely lacks)

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock