Thread archived by the site administrator
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting question. Having had a quick look as far as I can see the only criterion is that the landing aircraft can only cross the threshold of the runway and be given permission to land when the departing aircraft has completely cleared the runway. It seems to be down to the skill of the controller to calculate and monitor this.
Thanks for that update. my grandson had my air band radio so did not have ATC info, however, when the Jet2 released on to the runway I would have guest the KLM 6nm away and the Jet2 advised ready for takeoff, as he did not stop rolling and made an immediate take off.
In the back of my mind thought there was a 2 minute separation, but i think this is more to do with wake turbulence between different sized aircraft and not an issue in this case.
Interestingly up and the airfield again today and even when incoming 6 minutes away aircraft nor being released for take off.

Oddly enough, my neighbour was on the Jet2 to Kefalonia - the one on the runway. It may have been a matter of getting away to meet its slot. The KLM may also have been told to continue approach with one on (the runway) and expect a late clearance to land. I have heard this many times on the radio (and seen it) when up there taking photos. There is of course the risk that if the aircraft on the runway doesn't depart immediately, the KLM would have to abort and go around. I have seen this happen too. Ultimately I am sure it is a matter of judgement for the ATC provided both the aircraft crews are fully aware of the situation.

Some years ago I saw this sort of thing happen at NCL where a departing aircraft had been given clearance to enter the runway for take off and an arriving aircraft had been given clearance to continue his approach, presumably with the proviso that final clearance to land would only be given once the departing aircraft had got away.

In the event the departing aircraft was too slow and the arriving aircraft, who was virtually about to touch down, was told to go around at the very last minute. From the terminal it all looked very hairy but I'm sure it was all very controlled and 'just one of those things' that happen when the controller was trying to keep everyone happy and things moving.

Oddly enough, my neighbour was on the Jet2 to Kefalonia - the one on the runway. It may have been a matter of getting away to meet its slot. The KLM may also have been told to continue approach with one on (the runway) and expect a late clearance to land. I have heard this many times on the radio (and seen it) when up there taking photos. There is of course the risk that if the aircraft on the runway doesn't depart immediately, the KLM would have to abort and go around. I have seen this happen too. Ultimately I am sure it is a matter of judgement for the ATC provided both the aircraft crews are fully aware of the situation.
If the KLM had made its own decision to abort (is this possible) would the Jet2 have had to abort take off even if started its roll out.

Citation Latitude CS-LTH(Fraction 975E) being vectored fro a downwind visual approach to runway 14(1045) inbound from Zurich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock