Advertisement

Flybe

TM3

Sep 9, 2016
Birmingham
BHX is Flybe's biggest base and probably where they make most money (or the least loss) so I can't see services being reduce.

IMO the takeover is good for the airport as it brings Virgin to BHX, something that has repeatedly been said is not going to happen.

Advertisement

Coathanger16

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2016
Solihull
If Virgin Atlantic are in a generous frame of mind, can they be persuaded to join with the BHX company to invest in taxiway upgrades to facilitate the A346?
Even if Virgin were to bring widebody aircraft to BHX, the A346 is being retired over the next few years at A350-1000 are delivered. Whether they can fit at BHX is another question. In any case, IMO its unlikely Virgin will bring long haul to BHX anytime soon, but if they did it would likely be on A330.

TM3

Sep 9, 2016
Birmingham
I think widebodies are a bit of a stretch but it seems to me that it would be a good time for Delta to add a 757 service to JFK, given that there is now no competition on that at all.

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
A350-1000 are delivered. Whether they can fit at BHX is another question.
Apparently an airline has already looked into bringing one to Birmingham and concluded that they can't.

That's based on a rumour so I wouldn't rely on it until it comes from an official source.

TM3

Sep 9, 2016
Birmingham
Ray, do you mean the airport physically can't accomodate it? If so why not?

There are only 2 airlines I believe there are only 2 A350-1000 operators right now so that gives a good idea of who that airline would be.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
Ray, do you mean the airport physically can't accomodate it? If so why not?

There are only 2 airlines I believe there are only 2 A350-1000 operators right now so that gives a good idea of who that airline would be.
Cathay and Qatar?

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
If so why not?
Apparently it's due to taxiway curve limitations, similar to the A340-600.

The overall length of the A350-1000 is about 1.5m shorter than the A340-600 but the difference in the wheelbase is only 0.4m. The A350 wheelbase is 32.48m vs 32.89m for the A340.

As said, it's just a rumour and the NATS Aerodrome Textual Data for BHX does not currently mention the A350-1000 but does specifically give a warning about the A340-600.

BHXsupporter

Nov 6, 2013
Oh crikey. The A350-1000 specs would have been available so why when taxiway work was due we’re these changes made?

big vern

Nov 24, 2015
BHX is Flybe's biggest base and probably where they make most money (or the least loss) so I can't see services being reduce.

IMO the takeover is good for the airport as it brings Virgin to BHX, something that has repeatedly been said is not going to happen.
Or the biggest loss base, having a big base with lots of aircraft doesn't mean making a lot of money.
BHX doesn't strike me as the big feeder airport for virgin to fly around the world, lets face it virgin haven't even got any services to serve, what makes you think they are going to start now where they've had no interest before.Just because they have flybe now I cant see BHX booming with virgin. Maybe Southampton will see worldwide services from virgin.

Jerry

Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Southampton has a population of 250k where as the West Midlands has 4.5m and Birmingham have no TATL flights. Pie in the sky.
Southampton serves an area of around 2 million people but like BHX is within easy reach of Heathrow and has a limited runway. Only time will tell but i think BHX will be ok.

Jerry

Staff member
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
It does make sense that Virgin will want their own brand on the planes and i also feel that they may think the Flybe brand itself has taken too much negativity over the past couple of years.

Jerry

Staff member
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
The Virgin livery looks quite good on the Q400!

Coathanger16

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2016
Solihull
Surprised they haven't gone with a new name like Virgin Europe.
I don't think that's an official livery release. I read an article (can't find the link now) that said back in November when Flybe originally went up for sale and Virgin expressed an interest, they filed the names "FlyV" and "FlyVE" though nothing is certain at this stage.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes

Advertisement

Top Bottom