Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I was never expecting the name Virgin Connect, must have took Virgin's marketing/media department months of head scratching to come up with that name........ :rolleyes:
I know it was a tongue in cheek comment, but the website virginconnect.co.uk was registered back in May this year so they have at least had the name since then. Not very creative I admit, but we can't underestimate the power of the Virgin brand.

Virgin Atlantic plots Manchester hub following Thomas Cook collapse
by Ben Ireland Oct 23rd 2019, 17:36

Virgin Atlantic plans to make Manchester airport a network hub for the airline, with more long-haul routes to be introduced to link to recently-acquired regional capacity.
The airline’s European vice president, commercial Juha Jarvinen, said Manchester is “our second home” and the “Thomas Cook’s demise gives us an opportunity”.
The airline recently announced the new name – Virgin Connect – of regional carrier Flybe, which it led a consortium to acquire earlier this year. Flybe has more than 300 slots at Manchester flying on regional and domestic routes.
On the airline’s flight celebrating its new direct route from Heathrow to Tel Aviv, Jarvinen told Travel Weekly: “We are certainly finalising our Thomas Cook actions and we hope to be able to further strengthen our offering for next year [from Manchester].
“We will be offering more flights to certain destinations for next winter and we are definitely exploring new destinations from Manchester.
“That was originally our plan but Thomas Cook’s demise gives us an opportunity. Manchester is definitely our second home and is a region that is underserved both in business and leisure [routes]. We are hoping to further develop Manchester connectivity and are finalising next summer’s flights.
“By growing Manchester connectivity, we can also grow our long-haul offering there. We believe we can build a network hub in Manchester that nobody has done before. When we welcome Flybe into the Virgin family [as Virgin Connect next year] it becomes easier.”
At the press conference in Tel Aviv, chief executive Shai Weiss said: “There’s more to come. Watch our space in terms of what we will announce following the demise of iconic British brand Thomas Cook.”
The direct Manchester-Los Angles route has seen an 85% load factor, higher than Virgin’s average of around 80%, and Jarvinen said the route had “increased the number of movie producers flying to Manchester”.
Connectivity is the overall message from Virgin, which as well as the Flybe deal has also signed a joint ventures with KLM-Air France and China Eastern, as well as a codeshare agreement with Brazilian carrier Gol to connect to Virgin’s new Heathrow Sao Paulo route starting next spring.
“Up until now, Virgin Atlantic has been serving London and Manchester to the world,” Jarvinen told Travel Weekly. “In order to diversify the offering, we need to have the regional connectivity as well. Customers don’t just want to fly out of London and Manchester. We should be offering European short-haul and domestic as well.”
The airline also wants to boost its connectivity out of Heathrow, where Flybe only has 12 slots. Jarvinen said this was more difficult because of the allocation of slots which Virgin Atlantic has for a long time claimed has been unfairly weighted towards its rival British Airways.
Jarvinen reiterated chief executive Shai Weiss’ calls for Heathrow to allocate more slots to BA’s competitors when Heathrow’s third runway is built.
“The problem with Heathrow is that it is full,” he said. “So we have been unable to grow.
“We believe the current global allocation method is not fair for the consumers. If we follow that then BA will get around 60% of the new slots [at runway three] which is not in the interests of the consumer.”
“This is the largest airport infrastructure project in Europe and therefore this method should change because this is a traumatic change in capacity.”
The new Tel Aviv route has “exceeded expectations”, added Jarvinen – who said its load factor was around 90%. He said the split of passengers was roughly three ways between Britons, Americans and Israelis, with many opting to connect between the US and Tel Aviv via London.
“We believe we have the range of products to give the route the right mix.”

by Ben Ireland Oct 23rd 2019, 17:36

Virgin Atlantic plans to make Manchester airport a network hub for the airline, with more long-haul routes to be introduced to link to recently-acquired regional capacity.
The airline’s European vice president, commercial Juha Jarvinen, said Manchester is “our second home” and the “Thomas Cook’s demise gives us an opportunity”.
The airline recently announced the new name – Virgin Connect – of regional carrier Flybe, which it led a consortium to acquire earlier this year. Flybe has more than 300 slots at Manchester flying on regional and domestic routes.
On the airline’s flight celebrating its new direct route from Heathrow to Tel Aviv, Jarvinen told Travel Weekly: “We are certainly finalising our Thomas Cook actions and we hope to be able to further strengthen our offering for next year [from Manchester].
“We will be offering more flights to certain destinations for next winter and we are definitely exploring new destinations from Manchester.
“That was originally our plan but Thomas Cook’s demise gives us an opportunity. Manchester is definitely our second home and is a region that is underserved both in business and leisure [routes]. We are hoping to further develop Manchester connectivity and are finalising next summer’s flights.
“By growing Manchester connectivity, we can also grow our long-haul offering there. We believe we can build a network hub in Manchester that nobody has done before. When we welcome Flybe into the Virgin family [as Virgin Connect next year] it becomes easier.”
At the press conference in Tel Aviv, chief executive Shai Weiss said: “There’s more to come. Watch our space in terms of what we will announce following the demise of iconic British brand Thomas Cook.”
The direct Manchester-Los Angles route has seen an 85% load factor, higher than Virgin’s average of around 80%, and Jarvinen said the route had “increased the number of movie producers flying to Manchester”.
Connectivity is the overall message from Virgin, which as well as the Flybe deal has also signed a joint ventures with KLM-Air France and China Eastern, as well as a codeshare agreement with Brazilian carrier Gol to connect to Virgin’s new Heathrow Sao Paulo route starting next spring.
“Up until now, Virgin Atlantic has been serving London and Manchester to the world,” Jarvinen told Travel Weekly. “In order to diversify the offering, we need to have the regional connectivity as well. Customers don’t just want to fly out of London and Manchester. We should be offering European short-haul and domestic as well.”
The airline also wants to boost its connectivity out of Heathrow, where Flybe only has 12 slots. Jarvinen said this was more difficult because of the allocation of slots which Virgin Atlantic has for a long time claimed has been unfairly weighted towards its rival British Airways.
Jarvinen reiterated chief executive Shai Weiss’ calls for Heathrow to allocate more slots to BA’s competitors when Heathrow’s third runway is built.
“The problem with Heathrow is that it is full,” he said. “So we have been unable to grow.
“We believe the current global allocation method is not fair for the consumers. If we follow that then BA will get around 60% of the new slots [at runway three] which is not in the interests of the consumer.”
“This is the largest airport infrastructure project in Europe and therefore this method should change because this is a traumatic change in capacity.”
The new Tel Aviv route has “exceeded expectations”, added Jarvinen – who said its load factor was around 90%. He said the split of passengers was roughly three ways between Britons, Americans and Israelis, with many opting to connect between the US and Tel Aviv via London.
“We believe we have the range of products to give the route the right mix.”

Excuse me if I don't get too excited and also means I will have to walk past more annoying Virgin adverts on various digital LED screens throughout Birmingham City Centre.

Welcome to Birmingham, a city that is served by another city. :(

I would love to see VS operating at BHX. Manchester & London have demand by themselfs. There is a number of towns & city's that BHX can link. Flights to places like Boston, New York-JFK, Las Vegas, Orlando, Miami, San Francisco & Hong Kong would benefit VS as these are routes that are underserved. Plus I flown on VS & its a good airline. Codesharing with Delta would also get more passengers though the airport. I like to see the A350-1000 or 787-9 using these routes although it would likely that VS would send the A330neo (Still fine with that). Even if all the routes was summer seasonal I'd be happy with that. Right now I can't see that happening any time soon likely putting more into London airports & already got plans for Manchester. But still nice to dream about.

I have no idea what VS has plans for Virgin Connect at BHX is. But I hope they stay even if its the Dash 8. But on twitter Flybe have shown a photo of their new Boeing 737-800 sim although it been rumoured that Flybe could order the A220, so take that what you will.

Sorry if this post is long, not been active on here as much. A lot of my Youtube vids was deleted following the hacking so finding the videos & re-uploeading them. Hope everyone is having a nice day :).

I have no idea what VS has plans for Virgin Connect at BHX is. But I hope they stay even if its the Dash 8. But on twitter Flybe have shown a photo of their new Boeing 737-800 sim although it been rumoured that Flybe could order the A220, so take that what you will.
The 737 simulator isn't there's it's an ex TUI Captain who offers experiences and such and is renting space from them.

Excuse me if I don't get too excited and also means I will have to walk past more annoying Virgin adverts on various digital LED screens throughout Birmingham City Centre.

Welcome to Birmingham, a city that is served by another city. :(
On CNN this evening the person who set IAMsterdam was on. It is probably the most successful city promotion campaign in Europe and took Amsterdam from a declining centre to a international hub. What they did is sold the city to the locals and focussed only on one city. About time Birmingham did the same. Stop flogging other cities in our own billboards. Midlanders need to stop using other airports and start using their own. Want to fly to NYC use BHX and change at Dublin. Two countries in one trip. But start at BHX. Airliners are attracted to Manchester not because of Manchester but because people use the airport from a far. A bit like Atlanta, it is becomg an airport with a city attached. Credit to it, but when investors look at connectivity the city then benefits.

All we are doing is fuelling the impression that BHX does not matter. Midlanders are fuelling the demise and ultimately undermining the city the best darn city in the country.

So screw the incessant bucket and spade routes and focus on using BHX for every trip even if it is less convenient than a trip up north and the airlines will return.

Hi there Brumx, I totally agree with you are saying, there is not enough PR advertising done to promote this city, which is supposed to be the 2nd city to London the Capital, Birmingham has a population of about 1,100,000.000 people that live there and around even more than that possibly suburban areas could total another 2-3 or even more when you add altogether the whole of the West Midlands, Warwickshire area, possibly up to 10,000,000 people, then if there were a huge amount of high profile PR work as they do in Manchester and London, then Birmingham not only equals them, but then overtakes. So to blame for all this is the city Council, and the airport doesn't help them selves, so come on and promote Birmingham as much as is needed.. Andyc

Hi there Brumx, I totally agree with you are saying, there is not enough PR advertising done to promote this city, which is supposed to be the 2nd city to London the Capital, Birmingham has a population of about 1,100,000.000 people that live there and around even more than that possibly suburban areas could total another 2-3 or even more when you add altogether the whole of the West Midlands, Warwickshire area, possibly up to 10,000,000 people, then if there were a huge amount of high profile PR work as they do in Manchester and London, then Birmingham not only equals them, but then overtakes. So to blame for all this is the city Council, and the airport doesn't help them selves, so come on and promote Birmingham as much as is needed.. Andyc
Too many naughts for brum population. 1.1 billion lol

No wonder the M6/M5 are always blocked, seriously population of a city is only a small part, its business which brings the money to a city which creates the airport traffic and more importantly the business traffic and which then creates more business.
The latest company to move its head office to Manchester is Siemens UK just coincidently near the airport in South Manchester, GCHQ have stated the reason they coming is because of the huge tech market

On CNN this evening the person who set IAMsterdam was on. It is probably the most successful city promotion campaign in Europe and took Amsterdam from a declining centre to a international hub. What they did is sold the city to the locals and focussed only on one city. About time Birmingham did the same. Stop flogging other cities in our own billboards. Midlanders need to stop using other airports and start using their own. Want to fly to NYC use BHX and change at Dublin. Two countries in one trip. But start at BHX. Airliners are attracted to Manchester not because of Manchester but because people use the airport from a far. A bit like Atlanta, it is becomg an airport with a city attached. Credit to it, but when investors look at connectivity the city then benefits.

All we are doing is fuelling the impression that BHX does not matter. Midlanders are fuelling the demise and ultimately undermining the city the best darn city in the country.

So screw the incessant bucket and spade routes and focus on using BHX for every trip even if it is less convenient than a trip up north and the airlines will return.

We always flew from LHR to go stateside but have now changed our plans and go via AMS with KLM.

Just booked LAX from BHX via AMS for next year.

Hi there all, this is the whole point I have been saying for a long time, the local business leaders, city Council, the airport and the general public in the whole of the Midlands area are simply not doing enough to attract the big airlines into flying from Birmingham, and until they do, Birmingham will get left behind, while the like of London Heathrow, Gatwick and Manchester all forge ahead with expansion, then twenty years later, the leaders in the Midlands industry then realise, oh, I think we'd like a bit of that, but then it's just catch up time.. Andyc

Travel Agencies could educate staff. Not every punter knows what BHX can offer nor understands the possibilities of one or more stopover but I expect an agent to be at least aware, even if it impacts upon commission rates and incentives etc.

I am unfit to travel and would likely be denied boarding but if I could I would probably do it all myself with one of the many global carriers that are resident at BHX.

As to Virgin Connect, me may see them but it may need BA, or a One World partner to open a service that barges into their profitable routes.

BA no chance, fortress London only and to be honest they can stay there, they still have a large pull at Manchester so with Birmingham so close to London it must be twice the pull.
They wrecked Manchesters long haul for 20/30 years and taken a lot of hard work to break free.
Travel agencies go where the money is, I used to work in business travel and BA have an immense pulling power with incentive travel.
many of our customers used to travel long haul with Lufthansa and KLM however BA offered a deal that our management took on that made it so our customers had to use them like it or not ( most didn`t),
needless to say we lost a lot of clients and we were eventually sold, have never gone back to work in travel since those days as I don`t like being told you cannot sell the best package for the client because the agent doesn`t make as much money

No wonder the M6/M5 are always blocked, seriously population of a city is only a small part, its business which brings the money to a city which creates the airport traffic and more importantly the business traffic and which then creates more business.
The latest company to move its head office to Manchester is Siemens UK just coincidently near the airport in South Manchester, GCHQ have stated the reason they coming is because of the huge tech market
It is how a city sells itself that matters. Keyword there is itself. Manchester has done a tremendous job...getting the BBC there was genius as you have daily free advertising. Your football teams are the most famous thing you have and known the world over.

Economically Manchester is not that much different and for every Siemens we will point to HSBC or Deutsche Bank with more to come.

But Manchester sells it success and so do its residents. Brum moans. Just look at the moaning about the Commonwealth Games? I cannot believe the attitude. Coventry wins city of culture and they party long into the night. Brum wins the second largest multi sports event that boasts over 1/5 of the world's population and we moan about the cost and the motivation for refilling a sodding fountain! Brum Baywatch, I tell you, was the reason for its return. Embrace it all and have fun doing so.

Rant over. Lousy weather down here in Essex for three weeks and it is getting me down.

Anyway back to Virgin...good luck to them, shame that they mentioned the demise of Thomas Cook as presenting them with an 'opportunity' and good luck to MAN...just don't nick all of our passengers.

I think it is the business that is making the difference as I was reading recently that Manchester is growing about twice as fast as anybody else at moment and that is partly being helped by Airport city and Media city

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock