Re: Humberside Airport (HUY) - Thread

Hi TheLocalYokel

I think the Humberside airport hotel is a prefabricated building. I think the aim was to see if the demand was there to warrant a more permanent structure.

Re: Humberside Airport (HUY) - Thread

Its my understanding that Novotel (the current prefab hotel) will be staying, as that currently caters for offshore workers. The new hotel will be open to the public.

Not been on here for a while.. I'd like to update but nothing to say unfortunately.

New road entrance coming along. SAR facility up and running. BAe facility going up and surprisingly large.. Hilton not started construction yet but there's been a kriptic tweet by the airport suggesting about more coming out of the partnership with Nightel and to 'watch this space'..

Long overdue an update, however not much to update on infortunately.

Flight wise, seems the KLM E-jets are being scheduled in on some rotations now. It would appear that TOM have been happy with their return, the booking engine for next year shows Tuesday available from HUY again, no destination added but presumably PMI again as this year. However, Thursday is also in the booking engine for W16/17.. Possible new TFS flights to be announced?

BAe Systems academy now open and is quite a large addition to the site, also new access roundabout now open and the new Hilton hotel site groundwork going on.

Place is certainly still plodding along quietly, if a little too quiet on the passenger flight front.

HUY hasn't been able to join the upswing in aviation passenger numbers at many UK airports this year although it's certainly not alone in this.

I was surprised that only 21,375 passengers used the terminal in September, a fall of 13.9% on the previous September, with atms down 15.4%. The rolling 12-month total of 227,818 is only 3.3% down on this time last year but it's still disappointing, given the general situation around much of the UK - all stats courtesy of the CAA.

How important are passenger numbers in the general scale of activities at HUY? I note that a hotel is being built which, to an outsider, seems optimistic given the low passenger numbers so I'm presuming that there must be other potential airport-related users who will stay at the hotel.

Is there any optimism that the airport will see a significant step forward in its passenger service operations in the next year or two?

I think there is demand for a hotel in the local area. The Nightel hotel will also be staying to continue to house offshore workers, and I understand now also offers accommodation for the BAe Systems academy apprentices.

Of course, should the will be there, then the hotel could provide for night stopping crews should that be required in the future. Though, how much will is there remains to be seen. The Commercial director has left and as far as I'm aware hasn't been replaced.

T3 are offering quite a substantial program of one off city deals next year.. Perhaps there is some growth to come from that..? I believe the drop in passengers is down to Thomas Cook dropping their remaining flights after last summer. So things should stabilise now at least..

CAA stats September 2017
18,459 passengers passed through the airport down 10.6% on 2016. Rolling year was 192,331 down 6.6% on 2016.
Atms were 602 down 40.2% on 2016.

After taking into account the 11 transit passengers, the fall of 2,171 is entirely attributed to the offshore sector. Oil Rigs are down by 2,093 (from 3,913 to 1,820). Aberdeen is stabilising, but was still down by 83.

In November 2016, a helicopter operating base was closed as the new contract operated from Norwich. Presumably the low fuel costs mean that it is cheaper to fly further and cut down on crew bases.
Helicopter activity should recover in the spring of 2018 when a new wind farm contract commences.

Thomas Cook will operate a one off charter from Humberside to Ivalo.
HUY-IVL Friday 14th December 2018 08.10-13.25
IVL-HUY Monday 17th December 2018 14.40-16.05

I am not aware of another URAL a couple of weeks ago, but they had an Air Ukraine Intl. EMB190 visit.

I wonder how popular Humberside Airport was prior to the Humber Bridge opening. There was a ferry to Barton upon Humber, you can still catch a train to there, but I think the ferry stopped when the bridge opened. You would think the bridge would have boosted Humberside's attractiveness to people living on the north side of the Humber.

I was recently talking to two friends from Beverly who said HUY would be their airport of choice given the chance.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock