Once upon a time there was a new route to Naples planned.

Oh well it wasn't meant to be, well not in S20 anyway :ROFLMAO:

Once upon a time there were four new routes planned but this is BHX remember :ROFLMAO:

No matter how good the source never trust a rumour until the plane is on the ground. We can then move on to the question of 'how long will this route last then?' :)

Hi there Kevin, I totally agree with you, this is a very critical time for Birmingham Airport management not to muck this up, a very sensible deal is needed to be offered by the airport to encourage EasyJet further expansion and further investment, this is where Mr Nick Barton needs to get his fingers out and offer EasyJet that kind of deal, otherwise, that will be the end of of it all. So now Mr Nick Barton has been in his post now for 12 months plus, need to see him more engaged than what he's been, trying to entice airlines back,and not just sitting on his chair picking up his salary.. Andyc

Andrew, very few negotiations in aviation take less than 12 months. Considering easyJet has previously stayed well clear of the Midlands, to have GLA & EDI served is a huge step forward. Any base will take years to negotiate and come to fruition, and with the current state of aviation I couldn't blame easyJet for taking a more cautious approach and adding one or two new routes each year from existing bases to BHX before committing to a new base.

As for investment, the airport is currently undertaking a £500 million investment. If you consider that investment on a £ per passenger basis, BHX is actually investing 14% more per passenger than MAN. The terminal extension I believe has been costed at £30 million - just 6% of the total - so that gives you some idea about how many other projects are being undertaken, and worth bearing in mind that some of those won't be customer facing so not easily noticeable but they'll certainly help to improve the airport.

As Kevin points out, easyJet could very easily wait to see what happens with Flybe. If Flybe were to fail, easyJet could push BHX to make an even cheaper offer, and in that situation how could BHX refuse?

very few negotiations in aviation take less than 12 months. Considering easyJet has previously stayed well clear of the Midlands, to have GLA & EDI served is a huge step forward. Any base will take years to negotiate and come to fruition,
i'm sorry bur this recuring theme that aviation route negotations take years is something i don't understand and sounds like an excuse
for airports that are going through a bad time and people who make predictions that don't bearfruit. If Flybe go under and another airline sees potential in any of their routes lets see how long negotiations and plannng take.

Hi there Coat hanger16, I understand what you are saying, but I m not referring to any base that EasyJet may set up now or in the future, you can still expand your operations from an airport without having a base, what I'm trying to say is that with no other airline prepared to expand and introduce any new routes, this is the ideal opportunity for easyJet to do this... Andyc

All depends on what type of route you are talking about, Long haul upto 10 years, Europe where there is a lot of freedom a lot less.
Now as I said a couple of days ago what do you want if Flybe fails, frequency or a lot of seats, if you go for option 1 you keep the business men or if you go for option 2 you loose a majority of the business men and keep low value traffic it`s that simple

its all very good saying Easyjet can come in start flights, create a base, yes it takes time, BHX will have been talking to them for years, maybe decades!! But Easyjet dont have spare aircraft to start BHX flights? Leasing aircraft in costs money and with the max grounding, most aircraft are spoken for. You can't fly new routes without aircraft!!

Perhaps they planned to operate new routes from BHX, but the demise of TCX, gave them the chance to secure new slots at their current bases, LGW, MAN, BRS etc. and its a no brainer to increase flights/aircraft at these bases, it so much cheaper to do this, and makes 100% more business sense.

We go on about Easyjet, but dont forget one of our biggest carriers Ryanair, are showing no interest in expending BHX operations, they keep plodding on with their 4 based aircraft every year, why are they not expanding when they have a base here? Why are we not screaming for a bigger Ryanair base??

Easyjet/Ryanair/Jet 2 are the only realistic airlines that can expanded at Birmingham, at least one is still keen on us!! :ROFLMAO: Airlines ay!!! :ROFLMAO:

i'm sorry bur this recuring theme that aviation route negotations take years is something i don't understand and sounds like an excuse
for airports that are going through a bad time and people who make predictions that don't bearfruit. If Flybe go under and another airline sees potential in any of their routes lets see how long negotiations and plannng take.

In the "normal" aviation environment (if that exists any more!) yes it does take time. Of course if an airline fails then other airlines are going to jump on the opportunity to pick up their slots/passengers, but even then it takes months to get aircraft, crew, ground handlers, sales, etc in place.

My point was 12 months is a very short time in aviation and therefore we shouldn't criticise Nick Barton and accuse him of sitting there twiddling his fingers while just claiming a salary because we've not had lots of airlines launch routes!

but I m not referring to any base that EasyJet may set up now or in the future, you can still expand your operations from an airport without having a base, what I'm trying to say is that with no other airline prepared to expand and introduce any new routes, this is the ideal opportunity for easyJet to do this

And we now have Edinburgh and Glasgow served from BHX with easyJet doing just that! Naples plus another 1 or 2 destinations were also mentioned, but for whatever reason never materialised. The planning for those routes almost certainly started before Thomas Cook went under, so with the failure of TCX, easyJet suddenly had lots of opportunities to expand their existing bases in the UK (LGW, BRS, MAN, etc). As the new routes from BHX hadn't yet been announced (besides EDI & GLA), the aircraft, crew, etc ended up going to current easyJet bases rather than to us. Baring any failures of other airlines, I'd be very surprised if easyJet don't announce another route or two for next summer at some point this year.

We go on about Easyjet, but dont forget one of our biggest carriers Ryanair, are showing no interest in expending BHX operations, they keep plodding on with their 4 based aircraft every year, why are they not expanding when they have a base here? Why are we not screaming for a bigger Ryanair base??

There was the rumour that Ryanair wanted to expand some years ago but there wasn't enough stands? or something along those lines. I seem to recall talk of I think Flybe moving out of T2 (Eurohub) and Norwegian moving in (there was a picture of a Norwegian 737 at Eurohub), so that probably would have allowed Ryanair to expand. That was before Jet2 came in though, so I doubt there's room now for Flybe to go to T1. One would have thought if Ryanair were interested in expanding at BHX, management would be doing all it could to facilitate them.

Interestingly just came across this article from when Ryanair opening the base at BHX in 2008:

VERY interestingly:

"The new Ryanair base will grow from two dedicated aircraft in June 2008 to 10 by 2013"

All depends on what type of route you are talking about, Long haul upto 10 years
AA to New York lasted 2 years. US airways to Philadelphia 1 summer. How many years did they take to negotiate?
Not to mention Primera who must have spent many years negotiating there planned network.
Interestingly all were suprise announcments at short notice..
If an established airline decided today they want to fly BHX -N.America they would be by next Summer.

its all very good saying Easyjet can come in start flights, create a base, yes it takes time, BHX will have been talking to them for years, maybe decades!!
An aviation junket,sorry conference somewhere. Q. "Do you want to open a base?" A. "No" Oh well off to the beach.
Next year another location Q."Do you want to open a base?" A. "No" Oh well off to the beach.
Thats 2 years negotiations and and i'm only up to 2014. I'll spare you the rest.

Long Haul are always difficult to negotiate as there are so many different agencies to contact especially heading over or into Asia/Mid East

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock