Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
MAEL's new state-of-the-art facility

MONARCH Aircraft Engineering (MAEL), the award-winning independent aircraft maintenance provider, today announces plans to significantly expand its operations with a new 110,000 sq. ft state-of-the-art maintenance facility, creating 150 new jobs, with the potential for a further 150, at Birmingham Airport in the UK.

Due to be completed and operational by the end of 2013, the new MAEL facility will incorporate industry-leading design and build standards and is the first UK hangar to have the capacity for Boeing 787 Dreamliner maintenance, with sufficient capacity for other wide body aircraft, such as Boeing 777, 747 and Airbus A350. The facility will be large enough to accommodate two Boeing 777-300ER aircraft or 10 narrow-body aircraft and will contain a number of component-repair and back shops.

The new facility at Birmingham Airport will complement MAEL’s existing heavy maintenance facilities in the UK at London Luton and Manchester Airports and supports the recent and continuing growth of MAEL’s high-quality aircraft engineering activities.

Today, some 60% of the world’s airline carriers outsource heavy maintenance work to create a global market worth $49 billion, and this is predicted to grow to $65 billion over the next 10 years (Source: Aerostrategy). MAEL’s own third-party (i.e. non-Monarch Airlines) maintenance activities have grown to 27% of business in 2012 from 18% in 2010, and over the next three years this is planned to increase to almost 40% of turnover and to consolidate MAEL’s position in the top 10 largest airframe maintenance and repair organisations (MRO) in Europe.

MAEL operates globally, supporting clients throughout Europe, the Middle East, Australia and North America, where it applies superior knowledge of maintaining both legacy fleets and new technology aircraft such as the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, for which it is one of only six worldwide Boeing-approved GoldCare providers. Current MAEL operations include an extensive global line maintenance network, engineering technical management team, component maintenance and spares trading organisation as well as a new purpose-built training academy.

As a division of The Monarch Group, the leading UK-based travel group, MAEL also provides high-quality aircraft maintenance and engineering services to Monarch Airlines’ fleet, contributing significantly to the scheduled leisure airline’s efficiency and reliability. Birmingham Airport is one of Monarch Airlines’ six UK bases, and during 2012 the airline also expanded its services from the airport.

Commenting on the new MRO facility at Birmingham Airport, Mick Adams, Managing Director of MAEL, said: “Our new state-of-the-art hangar at Birmingham Airport combined with our existing facilities at London Luton and Manchester, and large line maintenance operation at London Gatwick, will ensure that MAEL is uniquely positioned to provide its international and domestic customers with a high-quality and leading maintenance and repair service in key, strategically-important MRO locations across the UK. “MAEL’s leading MRO business is underpinned by the expertise of our people and our apprenticeship scheme is renowned within the industry for developing high-calibre aircraft engineers. We look forward next year to welcoming 150 talented people, with the potential for a further 150, to our new facility at Birmingham Airport, where they will complement our expertise across existing locations and join in our exciting plans for further growth.”

Iain Rawlinson, Executive Chairman of Monarch Group, commented: “Monarch Aircraft Engineering is at the forefront of aviation maintenance technology, and The Monarch Group’s investment in a new state-of-the-art facility at Birmingham Airport is a signal of our intent to drive the further growth of this strategically-important division of the Group. “The 150 new employment opportunities MAEL is creating with this new facility, with the potential for a further 150, underlines The Monarch Group’s position as a significant employer in the Midlands region and the contribution it can make to the UK industrial landscape. We are very pleased to be able to give this support to the region.”

Paul Kehoe, CEO of Birmingham Airport said: “We are delighted to have been chosen as the Airport for Monarch Group’s UK engineering expansion, following the growth of its flight operation in Birmingham this year. The decision to create this state-of-the-art facility in the West Midlands demonstrates Monarch’s long-term commitment to the region, creating job opportunities for skilled engineers and young people looking to start a career in aircraft maintenance.

Caroline Spelman, Member of Parliament for Meriden, which includes Birmingham Airport, said: “I am delighted to hear about the engineering facility Monarch are investing in at Birmingham Airport. The creation of 300 jobs through this facility and the opportunities for apprentices is a vote of confidence in the airport and the great heritage in engineering our area has.”

http://www.monarchaircraftengineering.c ... etails/104

BHX_MAEL_HGR-R.jpg

Photo coutesy of Birmingham Airport Photo blog.

Re: Monarch Aircraft Engineering.

As this is now underway.

Part of the fenced off area which stretches up to Taxiiway Kilo. Most of the digging and heavy machinery so far is to the left behind the Eurojet hangar.

008_zps39b4cb94.jpg

Some of the equipment just in view.

009_zpsa0031ded.jpg

Once works get into full swing I'll get some pictures from the golf course.

Thanks for the update Ray. At last things progressing.

So what 3rd parties does MAEL currently do work for?

I read they have the contract to do the 787 maintenance for LOT and Thomson, other than that I'm not sure.

Are you sure work has started already?
I can't find any reference to a planning application let alone a decision. In fact the last application on Solihull council site at BHX was the Eurojet hangar in 2011.

This is taken from the last consultative committee report,

SMBC have confirmed that the provision of a new hangar on the Elmdon site (adjacent to Eurojet)
constitutes permitted development and does not require an Environmental Impact Assessment.

does permitted development mean no planning is required?

There is definitely work happening on the site.

Thanks for finding that.

Permitted development does mean exactly what you say, formal planning permission is not required. However I am surprised SMBC decided that way when you consider the Eurojet hangar was not permitted development despite being 5x smaller and practically on the same site....

Methinks maybe the council didn't want to let any NIMBYs upset the project. :D

Good stuff. It's due to be up and running by the end of year so I guess progress will be quick.

I think you may be right about the council, they definitely seem to be more pro-airport lately. I heard that Solihull signed a memorandum of understanding with Birmigham City Council so they will work together when it comes to developments regarding the airport and the N.E.C. Not sure if it's true but with current airport works and the new Resorts World starting at the N.E.C. it would make sense.

General Permitted Development (GPD) is covered by The Town And Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1995 ... ule/2/made

Scroll down to Part 18 which covers aviation and you will have a relaxing, enlightening read. :s_omg

Enjoy it - it's more effective than sleeping tablets.

Light reading indeed :LOL:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TBhTq14slI[/video]

Monarch Aircraft Engineering (MAEL) Launches Construction of New State-of-the-art MRO Facility at Birmingham Airport

16 January 2013

Monarch Aircraft Engineering (MAEL), the award-winning independent aircraft maintenance provider, is pleased to announce that construction work has now started on its 110,000 sq. ft state-of-the-art maintenance facility, at Birmingham Airport.

This follows the announcement on 20 November 2012 about the new facility, which is creating 150 new jobs with the potential for a further 150.

The construction work, which is due to be completed and fully operational by the end of 2013, commenced with Mick Adams, MAEL Managing Director, breaking soil at Birmingham Airport on 11 January 2013.

Commenting on the build, Mick Adams stated: “This is a key milestone in MAEL’s development which will allow us to meet the requirements of our customers and to fulfil the potential to grow our third-party customer base even more rapidly.”

Paul Kehoe, CEO of Birmingham Airport said: “This state-of-the-art facility in the West Midlands demonstrates Monarch’s long-term commitment to the region, creating job opportunities for skilled engineers and young people looking to start a career in aircraft maintenance. We look forward to watching the development take shape over the coming months.”

Kim Shevyn, Regional Construction Director of John Sisk & Son Ltd said: “We are delighted to have been awarded the contract for this state-of-the-art maintenance facility at Birmingham Airport and look forward to developing our relationship with MAEL whilst utilising our extensive expertise within the airport sector.”

The new facility will incorporate industry-leading design, technology and build standards and will have the capacity to accommodate both wide body and narrow body aircraft.

Supported by a number of component-repair and back shops as well as a logistics centre, the Birmingham facility will complement MAEL’s existing heavy maintenance operations in the UK at London Luton and Manchester Airports.

A video announcing MAEL’s new facility at Birmingham Airport is available here

http://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/meta ... ility.aspx

There's still only ground works going on at the moment but lots of lorry trailers full of steel framework have turned up on site so hopefully we'll see something rising soon.

Just looking at the image.

Judging by the tail of the A321 in the hangar, it looks a tight fit.

And in the press release, they stated they intend to get a B77W in there! Better make sure the insurance is a good policy, because if the graphics are correct, no way is that going to go in without taking half the structure with it! (no to mention the cost of writing off a B77W !)

Does anyone know if the current Luton maintenance base will be moved then, or is that to remain open?

Both maintenance sites at LTN and MAN will remain open. The BHX facility is there to increase capacity.

Plenty of steelwork gone up this week, I'll get a picture if/when the weather improves.

Steelwork for bay 1 is taking shape now. Bay 2 has just been started behind.

193_zps400822e8.jpg

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock