Re: KLM cityhopper B.V

Bristol has a daily easyJet flight to AMS which may have impacted on KLM.

All the tech cancellations last year didn't help sentiment, especially amongst business travellers who, as shown in the BRS LH thread, find it relatively easy to toddle along the M4 to LHR.

It seems it's the lunchtime KLM rotation that has been axed.

Although BRS was a mixed 100 and 70 route, in my experience the 100 was a fairly rare bird even on those rotations scheduled for it in the timetable.

The BRS Ezy flight has run for a number of years and has little effect on KLM's business model. The profit for KLM is in Interline passengers who are going to Amsterdam to connect onwards on KLM or Skyteam services. As with Leeds & Jet2.com - low fare competition on the Amsterdam route meerly frees up valuable seats on small aircraft that can then be filled by high revenue passengers.

KLM's decission to cut sectors at certain airports this year is just a reflection of the global down turn overall and not competition. Fares you will find are very competative at the moment and you dont have to pay for a bag, a seat, then this then that etc etc lol.

Demand is less than it was so smaller aircraft and cutting lunch time flights is the result. KLM has a system of "waves" out of Amsterdam for connections:- Morning, Early Noon and Evening departures. The lunchtime rotations always had less demand because they dont really fit, you miss the Early noon connections and have to wait until evening for your onward. It was the obvious flight to chop.

Technical Issues with the Fleet last year did have a large impact on the operation, lots of delays and cancellations due to an overall lack of aircraft! This was caused by a flood in a hanger at Amsterdam whcih took out 6 aircaft undergoing heavy checks. Not good at all in the height of summer.

You may have seen WDL and Air Express operating flights for KLC and PH-MJL was leased from Mandarin for some time. Still the Fk100 is in its twilight years now and the E190 is its replacement. Factory new, spares share with Air France, more maintenance support europe wide and very popular with the pax.

I love the F100 but its had its day.

WIYA,

Points taken and at one time it was said that 60% of the KLM BRS-AMS route were interliners. I haven't seen any figures in recent times.

Until a few years ago I used KLM Cityhopper from Bristol regularly, either for onward journeys to the USA and Canada (always careful, but not always successful, to try to avoid KLM's then partner Northwest who were absolutely awful in terms of onboard service) or for leisure breaks to the Netherlands. Even flew Bristol-AMS-Geneva and back once, before easyJet turned up.

We were looking at short leisure breaks in Amsterdam last year but the easyJet timing is useless - late afternoon out and early evening back. We were on the verge of booking KLM - out in the morning and back in the evening a few days later - but the cancellations around that time put us off so we went elsewhere.

Hope to go again, perhaps this year, and renew our association with KLM which we've always liked although, as with most legacy airlines, you no longer get quite the same on board experience you once did - and I'm not talking about cabin staff who in our expereince with KLM have always been excellent.

Although I've flown on KLM Cityhopper Saab 340s (in the 90s), F 50s and F 70s I've never flown on a KLM F 100. The only F 100 I've been on is with Austrian Arrows.

Dont honestly know what the figures are just the now. bad i guess in the current climate.

the point is, klm makes money out of passengers flying to amsterdam... to connect onwards. amsterdam only passengers are ten a penny. as u pointed out, easy jet timings are farely useless. plus, if u decide to go via amsterdam to connect and ur ezy flight is delayed... u miss ur connection... ur up poo creek... with klm they garuntee ur onward.

NWA (KLM's partner) I completely agree is poop but this is not just a NWA thing. Most US airlines are vile. They are trying to get better and indeed Delta who are now absorbing NWA are slightly better. Its just an American thing, passengers from the US are amazed at a drink and some crakcers on a 1 hour flights - this is because in the US you are lucky to get a drink of water on a 2 hour flight!!!

yes full service airlines have cut back.. only way to make moeny these days sadly.

the klm e190 & fk70s are the nicer aircaft to fly on. the fk100 & fk50 have now become a novelty ase they are going to be gone withing 2 years

KLM has begun its Fokker50 phase out project ahead of schedule due to the down turn, the Fokker50 fleet has become "too" surplus to requirements.

2 aircraft are to be flown to Cologne this month, one will return to the lessor and the other will be kept in flying condition for return to service with KLM or another carrier withing 24 hours notice.

This leaves the KLM cityhopper fleet with just 10 Fokker50, together with the F100 fleet - shrinking fast!

This comes on the same day that Qantas also announces delays in accepting 737 and A380 aircraft orders and also announces several aircraft are to go into storage or be sold on.

Yes not a good period at all for the aviation industry, but I feel that it's bottoming out now and that in the next twelve months we will start to see a recovery, albeit a slow one.

Will the Fokker 50 aircraft be sold on do you know?

I read today that Air France-KLM have announced between 2,500 and 3,000 job losses over the next two years.

Thankfully for those employed, they do not envisage compulsory lay-offs and will rely on retirements and other natural wastage.

I always enjoyed riding in the Fokker 50 - I'm one of those unusual people who prefers turbo-props for short flights. Then again, I much prefer narrow-bodied jets to wide-bodied for longer journeys. Over the past year I have seen one or two F 50s near my home standing in for the regular Fokker jets into Bristol.

Two Fokker50 aircraft that got sold on last year are now converted into Fokker 50 Freighters for "milinair" i believe. Of the 2 that are about to leave the fleet, 1 belongs to a lessor so it will go on to future operators or get parted out. The other will be on "fly storage" which means in a condition that allows it to return to service for KLM or another carrier within 24 hours - unlike the standard long term storage.

I expect it will get sold off or put on long term lease rather than see a future at KLM now with the airline now removing the type.

The job losses are a concern to many, Air France KLM is a massive organisation and that figure is a drop in the pond but still its a large figure to take in. Like in all organisations of this size, there are alot of surpluss job roles and in times like these a company has to evaluate and seperate the essentail from the non essentail.

My only fear is, in the current climate - "general wastage" which can include people leaving to return to study or persue a new job will be lacking. Peope are so concerned about money and jumping from a stable job into the unknown that the wastage will be far less than usual!

There will be casualties from the top right down to the production line.

Due to a shortage of FK70 due to general maintenance and the fact the type is now used on about 60% of the airlines network, the F100 continues to show up at Leeds. Often on the nightstop late flight.

Of particular interest, in timetable previews i have noted that the mid morning flight is due to change to an 1120!!! departure for the winter ahead. Not sure for the reason behind this but it is better as the gap between the morning and evening departures is now less.

Several timetable changes and less frequency on many routes is forcast for the 2 years ahead of us. I guess the new 1120 departure will reduce connection times in AMS as less flight frequency is now on offer. Arrival in Amsterdam will be about 1400 local time at the latest so in time for the evening rush without the longer wait that exsists now.

The airport have confirmed today at the Consultative Committee meeting that since the LHR route has been lost, they have started discussions with KLM about increasing the frequency on the AMS route and increasing the aircraft size from the current F70 - presumably they are looking towards the E190 or B737 equipment.

i hope it comes off, have klm ever had a 737 on the leeds route? it would be nice to see one but i doubt jet 2 will be happy with that.

yorkshire said:
i hope it comes off, have klm ever had a 737 on the leeds route? it would be nice to see one but i doubt jet 2 will be happy with that.

Or a mixture of equitment for us photographers :good:

if anything they will introduce extra Fk70 rotation, return the fk100 to the flights or use the e190. doubt a 737 is on the cards in the current climate.

I read somewhere that KLM's plan is to replace the Fokker 100's with Fokker 70's and Embraer 190's. Also 2 737's will be transfered to KLM cityhopper but forgot the date. So you never know, the possibility is there.

Fk100s are replaced by the E190 with the addition of 5 ex Air France Regional FK70´s.

Fk50´s phase out has begun and the type will not be replaced by a new prop.

The fleet will be All E190 & Fk70 with 5 Fk100 used for charter and standby at first but also to leave in afew years.

737 may operate some KLC flights from time to time but the type will not become part of the klc fleet. this rumour has done the rounds before and the source seems to be errors in publishings on a certain rego. database/listing website.

Air France KLM have announced the first UK nightstop destination for the KLM cityhopper Embraer 190. From 29th October, the start of the winter schedue the Embraer 190 will overnight at Newcastle airport. The first cityhopper night stay at Newcastle in several years (replacing the 737 of mainline) and the first stay over of the E190.

The lastest timetable release shows LBA staying with X3 Fokker 70 rotations & nightstop with the most noticable change, the KL1545 not landing at Leeds until 10:35 local time. Returning to Amsterdam as the KL1546 at 11:40 local time with a 13:55 arrival CET. The timetable is subject to changes in the months ahead so this may change.

At this time, the Fokker 100 fleet is now reduced to 14 frames. You will no longer see these registrations, as they are now in storage in the south of Holland. PH-OFC, PH-KLG, PH-KLE, PH-KLD, PH-OFI & PH-OFK. By the start of 2010 most Tay620 powered Fokker 100 aircraft should be removed from service along with the Fokker 50 fleet & 10 Embraer 190 aircraft will be in service.

Air France KLM has announced the sale of all 15 of its TayMK620 Fokker 100 Aircraft, operated by KLM cityhopper bv.

The aircraft are said to be going to the middle east for a new life with a commercial carrier.

Most of the aircraft are first production examples from 1989 and have seen active service with Inter Canadian, Air Europe, Canadian, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines & Air UK. KLM Cityhopper has removed 6 of the fleet from its production so far.

The entire TayMK620 fleet will be removed from the line by the end of the year.

In concert with this, the group has secured an order for a further 7 Embraers taking the bought total to 17.

Air France KLM has secured financing for its 7 optional Embraers 190 aircraft and yesterday along with KLM Cityhopper & Embraer announced the official purchase. Some good news in otherwise dismal times.

These 7 further aircraft are now allocated to begin delivery in the first part of 2010.

The Fokker50 is now in its twilight months at KLM cityhopper. The carrier will become an all jet operator by mid 2010 latest. The routes on which the Fokker50 now operates will be taken over by the Fokker70 which can operate the flights quicker and at a lower cost.

As the Fokker70 is now the most used type in the airlines operation, KLM cityhopper plans to start using the Embraer 190 on some of the Fokker70's current routes to free up the aircraft needed to replace the Fokker50 line.

KLM cityhopper has also returned to offering its aircraft for charter this year after a 3 year break from such activities.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock