Whilst the majority of Jet2 expansion over the next couple of years will be at STN & BHX, bringing those bases up to capacity with their other bases, sooner or later Jet2 are going to be looking to expand elsewhere - and the largest gap in their network is the SW of England.

With the recent comments with regards to new airlines at Bristol ("we'll only add airlines if it makes sense/if they serve a market not already served, etc"), chances are fairly high that if/when Jet2 start looking at the SW they will look beyond BRS.

Although it has a smaller catchment than BRS, there looks to be sufficient demand from South Wales/Bristol to support a small base. I doubt much of BRS's new masterplan will be implemented in the next 5 years so a Jet2 base at CWL could also help to provide some extra capacity until BRS expands. By that point, hopefully a CWL base will be profitable enough to warrant Jet2 staying and not switching to BRS.

I'm not sure how open to it Jet2 would be, but the idea of using aircraft based at CWL operating W patterns to Exeter/Newquay I think could work quite well. Jet2 operating solely from CWL will unlikely attract passengers from Cornwall/Devon and the Western parts of Somerset/Dorset, as BRS (and EXT/NQY) will still likely offer a better option.

Hopefully Qatar's flights will prove successful next year, which might then encourage more airlines to look at CWL more seriously.

I still can't believe that if jet2 were to want to fly from Bristol that the management team there would turn it away. There are plenty of routes that warrant more services and destinations. We don't have any scheduled services to Rhodes kos larnaca etc for starters. If brs is serious about pulling back the millions who head to london every year for short haul services including sun routes then they have to be prepared to offer more choice of airlines timings and destinations. After all easyJet and Ryanair operate on many more non beach holiday routes than ones that are and tui only offers one flight per week to the likes of faro fuerteventura Alicante and reus with none at all from tcx. Anyway how do we know jet 2 actually wish to come to the south west yet anyway. They seem quite content expanding at bhx and stn for the time being

I think BRS worry is about how Jet2 would effect TUI and TCX and any side effects that would have on Easyjet. Ryanair may not be effected as much. As for uncovered scheduled services then they will no doubt be hoping that their current operators will fill the gaps.

As to whether Jet2 want to expand into this area I think we can only assume they do based on their expansion. If they want to become a UK wide airline like their competitors then this area would be a logical next step for them and I for one hope they will seriously consider CWL as a future base.

I note that Jet2 currently has eleven bases: LBA, MAN, EDI, GLA, NCL, BHX, STN, BFS, EMA plus PMI and ALC which I assume are summer bases. I also note that the ALC and PMI bases only serve routes to their UK bases.

I wonder why Jet2 doesn't test the water by operating to such places as CWL from PMI and ALC. After all, they operate dozens of routes from the UK to overseas destinations that are not Jet2 bases.

Personally I can't see JET2 entering the market in Cardiff or Bristol for a couple of years at least they appear to be building up as rapidly as they can at their new bases at BHX and STN and as has been been stated by others will shortly complete their fleet build up unless they buy/lease additional aircraft.
I'm pretty sure in my mind that they saw a wounded competitor in Monarch and by moving in at BHX and STN saw the chance to kill off a competitor(dog eats dog and all that )grab market share and having rapidly expanded at both continue to build and consolidate there first before moving further west which surely they will at some point.

Then again second guessing airlines is a mugs game.

I think it'll be a while before they are ready to expand again. It's a shame as although there old 2 or 3 of their 737 300s would be great for Cardiff! It's also a pity they don't operate non based flights to airports they don't have bases at through either W patterns or away based aircraft.

It's also a pity they don't operate non based flights to airports they don't have bases at through either W patterns or away based aircraft.

It is a shame. Would be a great way of testing an airport for a potential future base. Operate a selection of flights for 1 season using away based aircraft, then if successful open a base there the following year.

What would also be good (although I doubt Jet2 would do it) is basing 1 aircraft at Cardiff or Exeter and operate with W patters to both. Then in time open bases at each.

It has been suggested that Jet2 open bases with a minimum of 4 aircraft - any ideas why? Only thing I can think of is that it dumps a lot of seats into the market and may see off the competition. Other than that it seems a good way of excluding many smaller airports from potential Jet2 bases.

Personally I can't see JET2 entering the market in Cardiff or Bristol for a couple of years at least

Agreed. I can't personally see Jet2 opening another new base before 2020. Before BHX/STN, when & which was the last base Jet2 opened?

I note that Jet2 currently has eleven bases: LBA, MAN, EDI, GLA, NCL, BHX, STN, BFS, EMA plus PMI and ALC which I assume are summer bases. I also note that the ALC and PMI bases only serve routes to their UK bases.

I wonder why Jet2 doesn't test the water by operating to such places as CWL from PMI and ALC. After all, they operate dozens of routes from the UK to overseas destinations that are not Jet2 bases.
I'm sure ALC and PMI bases are used mainly for aircrafts down line that go tech. I'm not sure they operate any rotations in their own right.No doubt someone can answer this one.

I'm sure ALC and PMI bases are used mainly for aircrafts down line that go tech. I'm not sure they operate any rotations in their own right.No doubt someone can answer this one.
Last year there was 1x B737-800 based in PMI in another in ALC. These aircraft operated full schedules (with 2x return flights a day) to UK bases. I believe ALC also had another based aircraft as a spare however I'm not certain.

This year there will be 2x B737-800s based in ALC, and 2x in PMI both operating full schedules. (They will probably lease at least one from a third party carrier - last year, the PMI based B738 was leased from Air Europa).

To give you an idea on the schedules of these aircraft, they 2x return flights to the UK per day except Wednesdays which are quieter.
Last year the 1x ALC based aircraft operated 4x LBA, 4x EMA, 2x MAN, 2x NCL, 1x BFS, 1x GLA per week.
This year the 2x ALC base aircraft will operate 8x MAN, 5x BHX, 4x STN, 3x NCL, 3x EMA, 2x LBA, 1x EDI and 1x BFS per week.
Last year the 1x PMI based aircraft operated 9x MAN, 2x LBA, 1x BHX, 1x NCL, 1x STN per week.
This year the 2x PMI base aircraft will operate 10x STN, 7x MAN, 4x LBA, 4x BHX, 2x GLA, 2x NCL per week.

The only W-Patterns that Jet2 will operate across their entire schedule this summer will be on a Fri, Sat and Sun where they operate a GLA based B737-800 to PMI, then back to either MAN or LBA (with a long stint on the ground) before returning to PMI and then back to GLA. All other routes are operated by each bases aircraft.

It is a shame. Would be a great way of testing an airport for a potential future base. Operate a selection of flights for 1 season using away based aircraft, then if successful open a base there the following year.

What would also be good (although I doubt Jet2 would do it) is basing 1 aircraft at Cardiff or Exeter and operate with W patters to both. Then in time open bases at each.

It has been suggested that Jet2 open bases with a minimum of 4 aircraft - any ideas why? Only thing I can think of is that it dumps a lot of seats into the market and may see off the competition. Other than that it seems a good way of excluding many smaller airports from potential Jet2 bases.

Agreed. I can't personally see Jet2 opening another new base before 2020. Before BHX/STN, when & which was the last base Jet2 opened?

It has often been suggested Jet2 would do well from LPL, they haven't opened a base there, and to honest now perhaps its best they don't . Blue Air have based an aircraft (plus others visit) and are growing nicely, maybe Blue Air would be more progressive for CWL.

Their Belfast base was 3 aircraft last year and it goes to 4 this year and I'd have thought they would tailor the amount of aircraft to the base they are launching.
I do think they'll end up in this area eventually most likely at Bristol it will be interesting to see where they go from there. Do they adopt what Easyjet does and effectively tell people to come to them and just build them up or do they go more like TUI and open up smaller bases at the smaller airports in order to grow. Personally I'd go for the latter.
It has often been suggested Jet2 would do well from LPL, they haven't opened a base there, and to honest now perhaps its best they don't . Blue Air have based an aircraft (plus others visit) and are growing nicely, maybe Blue Air would be more progressive for CWL.
Blue Air would be a good add for CWL but the airport would have to do a lot of work to make them known like they have with Vueling while Jet2 are an already known product.

Last year there was 1x B737-800 based in PMI in another in ALC. These aircraft operated full schedules (with 2x return flights a day) to UK bases. I believe ALC also had another based aircraft as a spare however I'm not certain.

This year there will be 2x B737-800s based in ALC, and 2x in PMI both operating full schedules. (They will probably lease at least one from a third party carrier - last year, the PMI based B738 was leased from Air Europa).

To give you an idea on the schedules of these aircraft, they 2x return flights to the UK per day except Wednesdays which are quieter.
Last year the 1x ALC based aircraft operated 4x LBA, 4x EMA, 2x MAN, 2x NCL, 1x BFS, 1x GLA per week.
This year the 2x ALC base aircraft will operate 8x MAN, 5x BHX, 4x STN, 3x NCL, 3x EMA, 2x LBA, 1x EDI and 1x BFS per week.
Last year the 1x PMI based aircraft operated 9x MAN, 2x LBA, 1x BHX, 1x NCL, 1x STN per week.
This year the 2x PMI base aircraft will operate 10x STN, 7x MAN, 4x LBA, 4x BHX, 2x GLA, 2x NCL per week.

The only W-Patterns that Jet2 will operate across their entire schedule this summer will be on a Fri, Sat and Sun where they operate a GLA based B737-800 to PMI, then back to either MAN or LBA (with a long stint on the ground) before returning to PMI and then back to GLA. All other routes are operated by each bases aircraft.

ALC looks like as you say will have operational 2 based 800's going to and fro the UK throughout the Summer. It will also have, i believe, the usual standby compliment.

The PMI will have a weird exception to what you've said. Whilst yes you could say that there will be 2 'based' units overnight i believe that they are not completely based for a period of time but rather operate back into say the UK to then head out to other destinations (e.g. PMI-EMA-IBZ-EMA based EMA as an example). The EMA based aircraft then operates back into PMI overnights and then operates to/fro UK. Some of those figures are also wrong for MAN as some of what would appear to be PMI based aircraft are W patterns from other bases.

It would appear that it would be a great opportunity for Jet2 to expand into the none-served airports from PMI/ALC (like TUI) however if you look at the way they build these bases it is to relieve the aircraft from the UK to allow them to operate elsewhere whilst still maintaining the capacity into said UK base. One would also say that at airports like STN/MAN it allows them to be a bit Ryanair-esque and utilised the terminal/apron space and runway at quieter times rather then peak.

Last year Jet 2 operated a B733 from EDI - PUL -LBA - PUL - EDI on a Wednesday. Don't think they are doing it this year.

The PMI will have a weird exception to what you've said. Whilst yes you could say that there will be 2 'based' units overnight i believe that they are not completely based for a period of time but rather operate back into say the UK to then head out to other destinations (e.g. PMI-EMA-IBZ-EMA based EMA as an example). The EMA based aircraft then operates back into PMI overnights and then operates to/fro UK. Some of those figures are also wrong for MAN as some of what would appear to be PMI based aircraft are W patterns from other bases.

Apologies, the PMI numbers were incorrect as they included the 3x W-Patterns to LBA (1) and MAN (2) on Fri, Sat and Sun using a GLA based aircraft.
Therefore, the numbers are as follows:
This year the 2x PMI base aircraft will operate 10x STN, 5x MAN, 4x BHX, 3x LBA, 2x GLA, 2x NCL per week.

Looking at the timings for both the PMI based aircraft - take a Monday in August for example.
Aircraft 1:
PMI 07:30 - STN 09:05 (45 min turnaround) STN 09:50 - PMI 13:25
(1 hour turnaround)
PMI 14:25 - MAN 16:15 (45 min turnaround) MAN 17:00 - PMI 20:45

Aircraft 2:
PMI 08:00 - BHX 09:35 (45 min turnaround) BHX 10:20 - PMI 13:50
(1 hour turnaround)
PMI 14:50 - LBA 16:40 (45 min turnaround) LBA 17:25 - PMI 21:10

These timings are consistent with timings for any of Jet2 bases - a 45 minute turnaround down-route and 1 hour back at base. The timings throughout the week are exactly as above, however the afternoon flights to STN on Fri-Sun have around 2 hours on the ground in STN, suggesting aircraft swaps.

Just seen a post on the other forum about Jet2s expansion plans and for a while at least that is unlikely to include any new bases, they will focus on building up BHX and STN to the same size as MAN if the market allows it which means any slim chance CWL had of a Jet2 base has gone for now which considering TUIs expansion is probably a good thing for now.

Just seen a post on the other forum about Jet2s expansion plans and for a while at least that is unlikely to include any new bases, they will focus on building up BHX and STN to the same size as MAN if the market allows it which means any slim chance CWL had of a Jet2 base has gone for now which considering TUIs expansion is probably a good thing for now.

If i could get onto PPRune i'd ask the question to that person - where on earth are Jet2 getting an extra 22 planes alone for STN and BHX without taking into consideration the other bases which Jet2 slowly expand such as EDI, GLA, BFS, NCL, EMA and LBA?

CWL or BRS still stand a chance as an obvious hole within their network. Don't take what that person has said as gospel. BHX will be similar size to LBA was a few year ago. Seeing BHX same size as LBA will not surprise me but 21 aircraft at BHX. I don't see it.

If i could get onto PPRune i'd ask the question to that person - where on earth are Jet2 getting an extra 22 planes alone for STN and BHX without taking into consideration the other bases which Jet2 slowly expand such as EDI, GLA, BFS, NCL, EMA and LBA?
I asked but no response yet! I'll let you know if there is one!

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock