The only option that they are giving me is moving the date of my flight. Not even offering a voucher.

Really is that so ? I fly on them very rarely too and only had a booking with them this time as I was booked to Almeria to see some friends and not many airlines go there. I was hoping for a refund.

Airlines have been innundated with demands for refunds since the middle of March and must be finding it very difficult to sustain these requests at a time of zero positive cash flow. Even if they are not flying and generating cash by selling tickets and holidays they still have substantial outgoings (forgetting shareholder payments for the moment) so have tried to alleviate that problem by offering credits where appropriate and at the same time reortedly making it difficult, on the face of it anyway, for customers to get a refund. I can't comment on how easyJet are managing this as I haven't got anything booked with them at the moment but they are in exactly the same boat as Jet2, TUI etc and must face the prospect of going under if they don't control their cash flow effectively. Either that or face going cap in hand to Govt for a bail out/loan. This is why ABTA have been calling for such a measure as the Germans are reportedly to have introduced.

I said , in an earlier posting, that I don't have a problem with shareholders receiving dividends that are due and must stick with that comment. It is, in every Company, the Board that decide whether or not to pay a dividend and if the general public feel aggrieved with any such decision their gripe should be be with the Board and not the shareholder concerned.

I can quite understand that everyone who is unable to take a flight or a holiday will want their monay back in preference to some sort of future credit and really do feel for those affected. However the airlines didn't invent Covid-19. All they, together with the rest of us, are doing is reaping the substantial consequences.

To add to this problem Jet2 have announced today, others will no doubt follow, that their flights (and therefore holidays) will continue to be suspended until 17 June so a further tranche of disappointed customers will ensue. Where it is going to end is an open question to which there is no answer at the moment.

Coming back to Jet2, who I use frequently from LBA, they seem to have their heads screwed on the right way when it comes to being customer focused and I am pleased to say that my late April/early May holiday has been refunded although I read that many are finding it difficult to sort things out ( particularly if you believe all the rants made on social media, some of which I find it difficult to believe). What will happen to my tour in September/October which utilises, in my case, flights provided by Jet2 I don't know but if our law is changed to sanction credit vouchers, as is the case in Germany, we will need to rely on Covid-19 being over and done with. Fingers crossed.

Apologies for the long post but I thought it necessary.

I fully understand the points you are making. I appreciate a detailed exposition of your argument. In these days of Twitter etc debates far too often degenerate into nothing more than almost meaningless sound bites.

However, if passengers are expected to help an airline's survival by having their refunds for cancelled flights delayed I see absolutely no justification for the airline company owners (the shareholders) carrying on and taking money out of the business through dividend payments.

It might well be the law that dividends sanctioned by a board of directors have to be paid. It's also the law that where one party to a contract breaks it - in the case of airlines by cancelling a flight - the other party, in this case the passenger, is entitled at the very least to the return of their fare money.

If an airline wants government financial assistance I would hope and expect that for starters such help would be contingent on its owners putting back into the company the money they have taken out recently via dividend payments.

I am prepared to have the return of my fare money delayed but I expect the airline owners to do their bit too.

Really is that so ? I fly on them very rarely too and only had a booking with them this time as I was booked to Almeria to see some friends and not many airlines go there. I was hoping for a refund.
I'm sure if I pursued it I'd get my money back eventually either from the airline or my credit card company. But to be honest I think I'm a bit disappointed in Jet2 that they haven't at least offered a voucher. I'm sure I can figure out a new date to rebook it but having the option of a voucher would be nice. I cancelled my BA flight myself and they gave me a voucher, Ryanair gave me the option of changing or a refund so I went for the refund. I think because people seem to rate Jet2 so highly I think I expected more of them.

I'm sure if I pursued it I'd get my money back eventually either from the airline or my credit card company. But to be honest I think I'm a bit disappointed in Jet2 that they haven't at least offered a voucher. I'm sure I can figure out a new date to rebook it but having the option of a voucher would be nice. I cancelled my BA flight myself and they gave me a voucher, Ryanair gave me the option of changing or a refund so I went for the refund. I think because people seem to rate Jet2 so highly I think I expected more of them.

Have you asked for a voucher?

Different i know, but LNER were trying to push me into a refund but i was adamant i wanted a voucher. I got the voucher.

Hi Jerry...from digging round t`internet it seems that a lot of people have given up on a cash refund and lets face it there are so many who actually need that money right now, and are going down the road of the credit card companies or chargeback if you paid by debit card. Apparantly they seem to be taking a flexible view in favour of their card and account customers. That would seem to be your best option. Re booking is ok if they honour the price you paid but Jet2 have hiked their prices so much, going forward, that you can book long haul nearly as cheap..

Hi Jerry...from digging round t`internet it seems that a lot of people have given up on a cash refund and lets face it there are so many who actually need that money right now, and are going down the road of the credit card companies or chargeback if you paid by debit card. Apparantly they seem to be taking a flexible view in favour of their card and account customers. That would seem to be your best option. Re booking is ok if they honour the price you paid but Jet2 have hiked their prices so much, going forward, that you can book long haul nearly as cheap..

I will try the bank / credit card option, my flight is May so they haven't officially offered me anything yet, just an email to say they will be in touch. I am unlikely to be flying with Jet2 any time soon.

I will try the bank / credit card option, my flight is May so they haven't officially offered me anything yet, just an email to say they will be in touch. I am unlikely to be flying with Jet2 any time soon.

I think, from reading the social media statement, they are going through flight by flight, date by date order. So they will likely be in touch soon and be able to discuss your options.

I think, from reading the social media statement, they are going through flight by flight, date by date order. So they will likely be in touch soon and be able to discuss your options.

I beg to differ..I`m due out on the 16th and have had one `be patient` email..others on the social media you quote have been cash refunded and travelling on dates after me. how come?..sorry I`m off down the credit card route.

I beg to differ..I`m due out on the 16th and have had one `be patient` email..others on the social media you quote have been cash refunded and travelling on dates after me. how come?..sorry I`m off down the credit card route.

That will probably be me, I won't want to rebook because Jet2 don't fly the route I often use.

Jet2 have also offered to rebook my holiday. It's something which I did intend to do but when I get back to work it's going to be ridiculously busy so I have no idea when I'll next be able to get leave.

I'm going to fill out the online form and request that my money be transferred to the holiday I have booked in August. Not sure if that is an option though?

Have you asked for a voucher?

Different i know, but LNER were trying to push me into a refund but i was adamant i wanted a voucher. I got the voucher.

Travelodge offered me a voucher, which I happily accepted but today my credit card has been refunded :unsure:

Jet2 Holidays and Jet2 have come out fourth and fifth respectively in a poll conducted by
MoneySavingExpert of airline and travel company performance in the handling of Coronavirus refunds. Hopefully this will reflect in future bookings when flying recommences. The virus has certainly sorted out the reputable from the cowboys for all to see. Ryanair came in at 47th, just behind KLM.

Still waiting for my refund unfortunately

Jet2 have secured Further £300 million on top of the already £100 bailout from the Bank of England’s Covid Corporate Financing Facility which is funded by the government.

Jet2 have made it clear, they are NOT currently using any additional money provided to them by financiers or the government. It's just there in case.

@Carl0927 I know lots of Jet2 staff were furloughed so there will be limited numbers of staff manning essential services. I imagine they're having a horrendous time right now with so many refunds to do. I'm sure you will get your money back soon enough.

In a different thread I was saying how important it was for the government to include air travel on the road map out of lock-down. If airlines had a rough idea on when things might start moving again, they could start to get more staff back into the office to deal with passenger enquiry's.

They are probably waiting to see when other countries open their borders. It still doesn't stop them saying what they will do when this happens.

Does anyone know if Jet2 holiday's incentivise the travel agents they use thorough a commission scheme or if they are to be a local Jet2 agent do they lock them into some exclusivity contract where they can only sell Jet2 packages?

I believe @Jerry there is no such exclusive contract for Travel Agents. Judging from what Steve Heapy has said in the many interviews/webinars with Travel Weekly regarding the fact he thinks Hotels being in exclusive contracts with certain tour operators is bad business sense, I believe the same view maybe taken when working with Travel Agents.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

That time of the year again. The Eurovision 2024
UTFD Step 4 here Come First Away day and the best day of my life
Technically the 14th anniversary of me working at my present job. Tuesday after the May Day bank holiday is when I started .. last Saturday was the actual anniversary.
Whipee it's Friday!
Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock