pug

Jan 16, 2009
Things might actualy be looking up for DSA if a poster on the EGCN forums is to be believed. They are said to be in talks with Jet2 with a view to services....

It is a while since I asked him but when I confronted PM and asked him if he ever consider using DSA he said he wasn't interested in DSA and that it was "in the wrong place." and that "Our passengers are here" he said.

I can't imagine him changing his opinion unless he has fallen out with the LBIA which again, I can't imagine the management trying to upset their main player.

Theres plenty of room for Jet2 holidays at HUY.... Doubt it will ever happen though :(

Its a diversion/crew training thing apparantly.

A post now saying that some 'bigwigs' from Jet2 were at DSA on Wednesday to discuss the possibility of basing two aircraft there... I dont know whether to believe this or not but it would explain the recent bullishness on the DSA thread on pprune if true.

Well it is a 'Northern Airport' and there is a gap now in the Low Cost services since TOM reduced theirs, so there may be a chance, although it still would seem an odd move because utlimately it will cost Jet2 money and is bound to pull some passengers away from their home LBA base. Peel are probably so desperate though they will be very keen to give the likes of Jet2 an offer they can't refuse. Jet2 are certainly using DSA for the majority of their 737 diverts from LBA, so it is not as though they are not familiar withe DSA and what it has to offer.

Speaking purely as a Leeds lass who hates losing ANY passengers to other airport though, I hate the very idea of this, just as I hated it when Jet2 opened a base at MAN.

In my opinion I don't think it would work and I wouldn't want to 'try' especially in the current market conditions. Having said that, it would probably cost less to set up a new base there considering it's proximity to LBA and the fact that they already advertise throughout the Yorkshire area. To be honest, I expect Jet2 to sit tight this year to weigh up the economy before starting any new ventures.

Post on EGCN forum suggests that talks were extended over two days... I bet Peel are that desperate to boost numbers back up that they would effectively buy an airline in, which in those circumstances could possibly result in cutbacks at Leeds if the price is right.. Problem is aircraft allocation so i dont know what to make of this still.

Again, I can't see it happening. If these so-called 'Peel Deals' are so good why has Ryanair just pulled an aircraft out of Liverpool and yet increased flights at both Manchester and Bristol. Not to forget the withdrawal of Fly Globespan at Durham Tees Valley along with a full withdrawal of bmi services from there too. I really don't expect Jet2 to be setting up shop at DSA come whatever deal is thrown their way. The fact remains that the strongest tour operator in the UK has withdrawn an enormous amount of services from DSA, Ryanair has reduced services, Flybe has reduced services and Easyjet tried and failed, Fly Globespan's Toronto service never happened. The list goes on. I wish any airline that thinks it can go into Doncaster and make a success of it all the luck it can get. As one poster said on pprune "it's passengers that make airports not runways".

I wonder if any of this is linked to the alleged talks between Bridgepoint and Ryanair regarding an LBA base? I would think Jet2 would not be too happy at that prospect and these talks could be aimed at forcing Bridgepoint to consider the fact that if Ryanair did come in and undermined Jet2's position, Jet2 could easily shift some of their operations down the road to DSA. It may just be a bluff - I certainly hope so. Jet2 have always been very careful not to take unnecessary risks, and undoubtedly this would be a huge risk - as many other airlines have found to their cost already. But if they did even put one or two aircraft in to DSA, I am sure it would send a real shock wave through the board at Bridgepoint, because effectively the airline that virtually put LBA on the map single handed could be seen as threatening to help put its nearest rival on the map too - or rather, keep it on the map for a while longer!!

I sincerely hope not. I cannot imagine that the LBA directors would ever take a risk which could prejudice their 'special relationship' with Philip Meeson and Jet2.com. Equally I am sure Jet2 would not want that either as they have invested so heavily at LBA.

Fly Globespan's Toronto service never happened

Sorry to go off topic but i think it did operate for one season, albeit from STN via DSA to Hamilton. It certainly failed to raise an eyebrow and was quickly forgotten about after they completed the allocated program, i think with some weeks not even operating..

I completely take your point and for one hope it definately doesnt happen, my concern is with the desperation from Peel to get flights in. It wont be for the pax numbers as it would be highly likely that the airport would, in effect, buy them in, increasing the losses heavily. I believe that if they are having serious discussions it will be about the link road being built...

Falling pax numbers could threateb to put the plan on the bottom of the pile or scrapped. No link road means no mass increase in land value which would fail to support the loss making media grabbing airport which covers up their real intentions of cheap land made into gold...

Apologies if I got my facts wrong there but It certainly did go with the blink of an eye if it did indeed happen. Further to what White Heather said, we have to remember that Jet2 opened up a six aircraft base at Manchester with one fail swoop without even having any competition at Leeds from the other low cost airlines, so Jet2 can't really begrudge Leeds for trying to entice other airlines. I would say that most airports will try and protect routes where possible especially when it's in the interest of it's largest operator. I am sure that DSA will be trying to avoid too much competition with Thomson's if they are looking at trying to getting Jet2 into there.

Pakistan's Shaheen plans used, new Boeing purchases

Pakistan's privately owned Shaheen Air plans to buy seven used and two new Boeing (BA.N) aircraft and start flights to India and Iran, its executive director said on Tuesday.

"We have almost completed the process of acquiring seven Boeing 737-200 aircraft from an airline in South Africa," Khalid Bashir Anjum told Reuters on the sidelines of an aviation conference in the United Arab Emirates. He did not give details.

"We will also be acquiring two new Boeing 737-900 ERs by end-2010. The new aircraft will enable Shaheen to start new routes to Mumbai and Mashhad in Iran," he said, adding that Shaheen would also increase flights to Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Kuwait and Muscat.

The airline, which has a fleet of seven Boeing 737s, flies to six destinations in the United Arab Emirates, Oman, Qatar and Kuwait.

Shaheen stopped flights to Leeds in Britain last year after fuel prices peaked, he said.

"But we are seriously thinking about resuming flights to the UK, to some secondary airport, and to Canada provided fuel prices remain stable and not too high" said Anjum, adding that the airline may lease a few Boeing 777 ERs for the flights.

The airline, which also operates on domestic routes in Pakistan, carried 1 million passengers in 2008, up 22 percent over 2007, he said. (Reporting by Stanley Carvalho; Editing by David Holmes)

Source

The Boeing 777 is unlikely to be able to operate from LBA but Shaheen did say that they would return. I wonder if DSA has a better chance of operating the route this time?

Should perhaps factor in EMA aswell maybe? I dont know if they have destinations in Asia yet?

No Jet2 base for Doncaster then....EMA has been the latest addition to the airlines offering!! Jet2 have today 28 August 2009 announced that they are to open a new base at EMA for summer 2010 flying to Egypt and Turkish destinations.

I can't imagine the airline ever using the airport for anything other than a diversion airport now.

Mnay people saw Jet2 as the last hope for expansion at DSA, not likely to happen now though.

What are the chances of a HUY base now serving short to medium haul destinations? Slim i suspect although Jet2 must have a much better relationship with MAG now.

Well it sure dose look like it's going to be a New KLM Amsterdam service that Doncaster/Sheffield are going to announce tomorrow.

Most likley that it will be a 3 times daily service with Fokker 50 operated to start with and then upgraded to Fokker 70 when the last F50's get retired next summer. This may co-inseed with the upgrade of the LBA service that is planned very shortly.

I agree, though i would question whether they would intend to stay at HUY now that they've decided to go for DSA?

Could they maintain both considering HUY's KLM traffic are from the Humber region as i have mentioned before, or would they pull out so that they have a bigger potential catchment taking in Humber region and Sheffield? Unfortunately i fear the latter considering the distance between the two.

Going by the statistics you mentioned before an another thread you would expect the Humberside flights to remain unaffected. It makes me wonder if KLM are looking at reducing it's operation at Manchester slightly, not forgetting the move into LPL early this year.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock