PARIS: Virgin Atlantic signs for up to 20 A330-900s

Interesting quote from Chief Executive Shai Weiss:

"Return to growth is crucial and critical for us,"

Jerry

Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
It's curious that they didn't order the 789. You'd have thought that they'd want to standardise their fleet. They'll end up with 3 aircraft types eventually.

RhysTheBeast

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2018
Manchester
Unfortunately, Boeing hasn't helped themselves lately. Personally, I think their aircraft are superb, it's just a shame that QC is lacking, and rather than being transparent about these things, they have fudged. As a result of that, customers perception of the company has taken a knock, not to mention the pilots, who have consistently highlighted issues only to be offered less than satisfactory responses to those issues. It will take a lot of work to regain trust, but I am sure they will get there in the end.

David_itl

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2016
one of our former friends found this (and the other one is fighting a valiant battle about why is MAN being compared to major EU hub airports with regards to transatlantic service)

About the MAN-Los Angeles service...

" The market is reacting very positively to the new route with actual sales, he says. “Bookings are very strong,” while the move to daily service will make it easy for customers to become aware of it. "

Look out for Thomas Cook? Loganair? being acquired...

"Branson says, “We’ll fly from regional airports,” with Manchester perhaps providing an alternate to London airports approaching capacity. There are hints that the strategy might include the acquisition of other struggling British airlines. So it appears we now know of some Virgin expansion next year.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelgoldstein/2019/06/28/sir-richard-branson-virgin-atlantic-kick-off-los-angeles-to-manchester-service/#23e19ce8627a

EGCC_MAN

Premium Member Plus
Feb 2, 2016
Alot will depend on whether Virgin is confirmed as the successful bidder for Thomas Cook long-haul. If so, we may see them exercise their options on additional A330neos. It will be a small step-up to daily MAN-LAX service from the current combined S19 schedule of VIR/TCX. Though year-round commitment would be very welcome.

Good to see confirmation of the intention to use Virgin Connect (FlyBe) to feed the Virgin Atlantic MAN long-haul programme.

Loganair takeover? Maybe, but I'm not so sure. The prime role of Loganair now must be to serve the opportunities of the Scottish market. And some of this wouldn't necessarily dovetail well with the priorities of Virgin Atlantic. However, with the personalities who fuelled the absurd feud between FlyBe and Loganair safely out of the way at the FlyBe end, it would make good sense for Virgin to re-establish full cooperation with Loganair on their routes to MAN from NWI, INV and LDY. Hopefully this will follow.

All just speculation on my part. Would welcome other opinions on the potential outcomes.

User1007

Feb 2, 2019
UK
I'd be surprised if Virgin take any interest in Loganair beyond codeshares. Scottish island hopping is not their business, the fleet has no commonality with Flybe and most routes aren't suitable for anything Flybe -sized.

mullion

May 9, 2014
A little suprise Virgin handing over Boston to Delta from May2020 going from 3 weekly A332 to daily
B757 also same fro gatwick

User1007

Feb 2, 2019
UK
Excellent. Probably a better capacity aircraft for the route and still daily.
The A330 should be a better fit, and is essential if they ever want to improve the winter frequency , but it will mean a significant fall from this year in the passenger counts on the route in peak summer. Virgin are obviously the bigger brand in than UK, but they don't have Delta's fleet flexibility - as shown with the Boston news this week.

pholling

May 9, 2014
The A330 should be a better fit, and is essential if they ever want to improve the winter frequency , but it will mean a significant fall from this year in the passenger counts on the route in peak summer. Virgin are obviously the bigger brand in than UK, but they don't have Delta's fleet flexibility - as shown with the Boston news this week.
On routes between the Uk and the US VS is the same airline as DL, from a route planning and financial point of view. Obviously, having two different operators makes the planning a bit more cumbersome. However, DL/VS can swap aircraft based on what makes the most financial sense. It is true that VS has better brand value in the UK and as long as the traffic is UK dominated having VS as the operating carrier gives you a marketing advantage. However, as the US side of the traffic increases this advantage begins to disappear.

VS Key advantages:
  • UK brand recognition and value
  • Lower cost base for US-UK flights
DL Key advantages:
  • Larger total fleet, more combinations of ways to optimise aircraft usage
  • Larger range of options for many routes, 757–A350/777

Coathanger16

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2016
Solihull

Scottie Dog

Staff member