Oct 27, 2015
The period from around 2015 to 2017 what we know so far) has seen an explosion of capacity into the USA from Manchester. TCX, VS/DL have been very aggressive, and with Norwegian waiting in the wings we *could* face an overcapacity bloodbath.

Against the backdrop of this AA/BA have not had the best of times, with their routes to JFK, PHL, ORD coming under sustained pressure.

Added to this, we think Air Canada are taking more of an interest in MAN, with a new route to Vancouver and an extended season to Toronto mooted for a longer season.

The market looks to be highly seasonal, but are we approaching a saturation point? The total volume of passengers at MAN is now some 2.5m higher than the previous peak in 2006. So where are we in the Manchester to North America market, and might we see saturation point reached?

The figures below are taken from David_itl's CAA stats (credit to him) where I have drawn out the relevant information.

It is important to note that each of the peaks reflect a "high water mark" from the early 1990s. This means that individual highs do not necesaraly mean a collective one (see PHL in 2010). Also, a growing market in one place may be detracting from another (e.g. The rise of JFK may be detracting from EWR and PHL). IAH may detract from IAH and EWR connecting traffic.

This is merely indicative of what may be possible at MAN with the correct combination. There is every reason for a bright future. By way of comparison, Emirates expect to break 1m passengers in the 2016-17 financial year. The main issue seems to be the extreme seasonal nature of the routes. Perhaps this can be reversed?

Please feel free to comment and discuss below.

Main USA routes:

Atlanta
The route peaked in 2000 at 173,792. I don't know the detail of who operated it (presumably DL for one) but this works out at 238 passengers per day each way. In 2015 the route carried 140,610 (193 passengers per day each way) with a nigh on daily service by VS on the A333. Given VS's intended expansion, this seems unlikely to be bettered.

Chicago
This route peaked in 2005 as 283,552. I understand BMI and aaaa operated at this time and the fact that this is 388 passengers per day is indicative of a multiple daily frequency. In 2015 the route carried 82,222 with AA only operating a seasonal service. Even accounting for changes in patterns and more direct flights this is a remarkable decline. Perhaps it can be reversed with a reliable service?

New York Airports (JFK & EWR)
This peaked in 2000 at 414,410, representing 568 passengers per day each way. I do not know who operated at that time. From that peak the route declined significantly but has undergone a renaissance of late, bouncing back to 344,225 in 2015 and displaying strong growth in 2016. Of more interest is the relative fortunes of JFK and EWR, showing a strong shift towards use of JFK (presumably due to BMI's demise and the rise of TCX?).

Orlando Airports
This route remains very strong, peaking in 2007 at 667,125 (914 per day each way!) and is currently at 503,788. Probably little of interest here?

Washington
This route, in a similar vein to Chicago, has suffered following a peak of 110,304 in 2004 (roughly a B757 load per day). I do not know who operated the route at that time (BMI?). It is now seasonal and 64,432 were carried in 2015. However, if the season was 6 months long this actually reflects a stronger performance than the 2004 peak. The 2017 season is now being cut short and one wonders whether a poor 2017 (in light of the capacity enhancements elsewhere) will see it return in 2018.

Philadelphia
This route has remained strong for some time, peaking at 172,069 in 2010 (otherwise a quiet year for MAN). This was supported by a high level of premium demand and supposedly cargo. It has tailed off significantly of late, with a slight reduction in capacity over W16/17 and 129,995 carried in 2015. It may have suffered with the rise of JFK.

Los Angeles
This route has for some time been held up as the poster child for either: BAs failure to deliver a bona fide longhaul service from the UK regions work, or BAs inability to make money from the regions (depending on your viewpoint). The peak of 60,065 in 1993 has not been challenged as TCX commenced a service in June 2016 (I know the intention is to increase in S17 but does it remain a seasonal service?).

Toronto
Although the VFR market has undoubtedly shifted with the generations, the market remains strong if highly seasonal. 191,361 flew in 2000 at its peak and 103,453 in 2015. The 2000 peak is in excess of a B788 per day each way, so if the present rumours of AC returning on a permanent basis have foundations, the theoretical market is there but does it tail of in the dark months of winter?

Vancouver
In a similar boat to Toronto, but the market is unproven. Rumours of AC mainline indicate the market is strengthening from the 28,206 carried in 2016, but can it reach the 84,184 carried in 2005? Transat offer a good service for a loco carrier, but can the route sustain AC mainline?

My intention was not about potential new routes. Rather, it was about the potential of existing routes, a number of which might be marginal.

I suppose I don't want the network to be spread too thinly, but I would still like to see a good coverage of routes to the east and west coasts, Midwest and southern states.

My intention was not about potential new routes. Rather, it was about the potential of existing routes, a number of which might be marginal. .

Firstly, thanks for your earlier detailed thoughts on those MAN-US routes. It is very useful to be reminded of some of the peaks achieved in the past on US routes.

I think you are right about a number of routes being marginal and I fear they are about to get more so.
The pound overnight was below $1.25 and unless there is a remarkable recovery, it will surely begin to have an impact on air fares, hotel costs and spending money in the US on Disney World, meals etc. bearing in mind MAN's traffic is predominantly UK originating. In addition, the oil price which at one time was below $40 a barrel is back over $50 following the agreement on production.

It would be quite remarkable in my view if this did not affect demand for the US from MAN although in some cases pax may look for cheaper alternatives to direct flights from MAN - DUB, KEF or European hubs. I suspect LHR will be less affected as I assume it gets a higher proportion of American visitors who may well find it attractive financially to visit the UK.

Will the pound continue to slide - I've no idea. However, it seems unlikely the BoE will put up interest rates having reduced them only recently and I'm not sure what the government could do even they wanted to. I suppose they could cut APD!

Meanwhile, exporters should be jumping for joy while importers are tearing their hair out and wondering how much of their cost increases they can pass on to the consumer.

The prospect looking East look brighter in my opinion with Oman and possibly Thai, although I feel the increases to HK and China mainland may not come as early as we would like.

Apologies if this sounds too pessimistic but in the current climate of uncertainly about what sort of BREXIT deal and trade agreements we'll get, I think it could prove tough as far as the US market is concerned. Of course, there are other factors affecting the US carriers from MAN - competition and direct services from TCX, narrow body a/c by UA and unreliable service from AA to ORD in particular.

Just to add, I think the situation on short haul (which provides the majority of pax) is different as they attract a decent number of Europeans to the UK and the Manchester region.

Whilst the weak pound seems likely to chip away at the UK originating passengers, it has to be hoped that some of this will be taken up with American originating traffic.

We can but wait and see. It might actually make it better for the UK based carriers TCX and VS to make money.

Whilst the weak pound seems likely to chip away at the UK originating passengers, it has to be hoped that some of this will be taken up with American originating traffic.

Absolutely. Doesn't MAN/MAG have an office over there aimed at advising US airports (on infrastructure developments?). Not heard much about it recently although I recall they won contracts at a couple of airports. It would be helpful if they could be an additional and persuasive marketing tool to get Americans to fly to MAN to see the numerous attractions in the wider region.

I think that is one part of it, the other part is the export of business services/products from the wider North to North America. Obviously the weaker pound makes these relatively more competetive.

Is is this market that supports the full service AA, UA, DL/VS, SQ and AC of this world.

I'm sure there is some explanation to the reasons why some of these have declined so much. I know ORD has lost a lot of its TATL market, but that cannot be the only explanation?

Just taken a look at Virgin VS Thomas Cook prices next summer, in the middle of a debate on the Thomas Cook thread. I must say, Virgin are doing pretty well competing on price and, in many cases, slightly undercutting Thomas Cook:

JFK:
AA - £395 rt
VS - £395 rt
TCX - £440 rt

SFO:
VS - £395 rt
TCX - £400 rt

MCO:
TCX - £500 rt
VS - £650 rt

BOS:
TCX - £360 rt
VS - £434 rt

LAS:
VS - £535 rt
TCX - £600 rt

Just thought it was an interesting comparison.

Cheap prices because of competition are good for the customer in the short term but as EGCC_MAN points out on another thread, they can lead to routes just being not viable for the airlines.

Looking at those prices, SFO appears very cheap, so although on the whole I believe competition is a good thing, it doesn't mean it applies to every route depending on demand. Cheap fares may stimulate demand short term but what happens when the prices then go up to try and make a decent return?

Prices for LAS & MCO on the other hand seem more realistic and are destinations where competition may prevent prices rising too high if there was only 1 carrier.

Last edited:
I have to say I am (pleasantly?) surprised at VS's prices. My experience is that they are much more expensive.

Is this pattern repeated across a larger sample size (not asking for any presentation of evidence, just your view of what you have seen).

Cheers!

I haven't looked at VS/DL prices from LHR, but generally, advance prices are very good value for Virgin.

West Coast USA departures 2018 -

San Francisco - 6-weekly flights
Los Angeles - 3-weekly flights
Seattle - 2-weekly flights

Monday - TCX Los Angeles
Tuesday - VS San Francisco/TCX San Francisco
Wednesday - TCX Los Angeles
Thursday - TCX San Francisco/TCX Seattle
Friday - VS San Francisco
Saturday - TCX Los Angeles
Sunday - VS San Francisco/TCX San Francisco/TCX Seattle

Overall weekly flights: 11fpw to West Coast USA
map

(y)(y)

The TATL market looks quite strong next summer. Below is a snapshot for a peak week in August so far.

Scheduled:

Boston: VS 2 weekly, MT 3 weekly 5 weekly overall

New York JFK: VS 7 weekly, PK 2 weekly, MT 7 weekly, AA 7 weekly 23 weekly overall

Newark: UA 7 weekly 7 weekly overall

Philidelphia: AA 7 weekly 7 weekly overall

Atlanta: AA 7 weekly 7 weekly overall

Orlando: VS 12 weekly MT 9 weekly 21 weekly overall

Miami: MT 2 weekly 2 weekly overall

Houston: SQ 5 weekly 5 weekly overall

Chicago: AA 7 weekly 7 weekly overall

Las Vegas: VS 2 weekly MT 6 weekly 8 weekly overall

Los Angeles: MT 3 weekly 3 weekly overall

San Fransisco: VS 3 weekly MT 3 weekly 6 weekly overall

Seattle: MT 2 weekly 2 weekly overall

Bridgetown: VS 2 weekly 2 weekly overall

Punta Cana: MT 3 weekly 3 weekly overall

Cancun: MT 6 weekly 6 weekly overall

Varadero: MT 1 weekly 1 weekly overall

Santa Clara: MT 1 weekly 1 weekly overall

Cayo Coco: MT 1 weekly 1 weekly overall

Holguin: MT 2 weekly 2 weekly overall

Toronto: TS 5 weekly AC 5 weekly 10 weekly overall

Vancouver: TS 3 weekly 3 weekly overall

Charter:

Sanford: TOM 4 weekly 4 weekly overall

Punta Cana: TOM 2 weekly 2 weekly overall

Puerto Plata: TOM 1 weekly 1 weekly overall

Puerto Vallarta: TOM 1 weekly 1 weekly overall

Cancun: TOM 6 weekly 6 weekly overall

Montego Bay: TOM 3 weekly 3 weekly overall

Routes/airlines that operated in S17 that won't in S18:

Aruba TOM 1 weekly
Santa Clara TOM 1 weekly

Expected new routes:

1/2 from TCX, and potentially one extra route from an existing carrier, but still not confirmed at this stage. There are also rumours that 2 other airlines could also be joining the portfolio but will have more details as time progresses.

Aircraft types used:

A310/A330/A350/B747/B757/B767/B777/B787

An interesting note on aircraft types is the fact only one narrowbody is used on all flights again next summer, and even that could be changed for a B767. This is a huge turnaround from a time when MAN TATL used to be heavily reliant on narrowbodies to gain service.

Analysis:

Again a very strong summer planned for MAN TATL, one of the strongest it will ever likely be.

I counted 26 TATL routes with 149 weekly one way departures on 9 airlines. I don't know how this compares to this summer as I'm rubbish at collecting historical data but I personally think that's damned impressive.

With potentially more news to come, looks like this won't be the last update to this page either.

Trying to work out who the two new carriers could possibly be...

I think one is Biman Bangladesh. No idea who the other could be - assume not Primera or Norwegian, so who knows.

Be nice to see some strengthening on the Canadian marketplace, but let's see.

Fundamentally, the main issue with this market is the seasonality of it. I don't see that as likely to change any time soon, but perhaps some winter gains can still be eked out.

Nothing has changed in the White House but if the £ stays at its present level of $1.31, it will be an improvement of the $1.21 it fell to after the referendum vote.

And I agree with Dobbo that seasonality is the issue. But 30 x weekly flights to New York in the summer is quite something for a non-capital city like Manchester. 25 to Orlando/Sandford isn't bad either!!

I didn't account for Biman on the count of they don't know their ass from their elbow! I also didn't account for Kuwait either as I still don't think they will get their IAD route up and running any time soon.

My post on the West Coast flights has soon been upstaged by User's excellent analysis!

Anyway, Manchester is doing very well. There was a lot of doubt coming into the scheduling for Summer 2018, that the uncertainty would loom over any potential expansion and we would lose routes. I remained cautiously optimistic that the fundamentals of transatlantic travel would remain steadfast and that we would retain all of our current routes, even if new route development was diminished. However, barring the loss of Aruba, we have already kept all of our current routes this year and are beginning to expand with very promising words. I still doubt that we will see all of the routes that User cites, airing towards the cautious side, as I have been accused of being 'overly optimistic'!

Biman Bangladesh and Kuwait are candidates for transfer flights.

I'd like to think we have a pretty good idea of Thomas Cook's plans; it's just a question of timescale.

The potential new route from existing carrier is vexing.

Could it be new rumours of Air Canada Rouge opening Vancouver? Could it be Air Transat returning to Calgary? It would be great to see Canada increase; it is becoming an increasingly strengthening tourist market from recent years and is now more attractive for British travellers due to the exchange rates.

If it was American or United opening a new route I would be very shocked, although it would be very welcome.

I would also be shocked if Virgin expanded in the face of cuts but they could launch Miami or maybe a holiday destination such as Havana.

Regardless, it is looking like another strong year, and whilst we are not experiencing 2016/2017 style growth, we are certainly on track for another resistant transatlantic programme, with 30 flights per week to New York, 11 flights per week to West Coast USA, 13 weekly flights to Canada and atleast daily services to Las Vegas, Orlando, Atlanta, Chicago, Philadelphia, with sub-daily services to Boston and Miami. If you'd have told me that a couple of years ago, I wouldn't have believed it.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock