I'm well aware that there'll be less passengers but that doesn't negate that Paris is an important route that the airport needs to gain back asap not just for onward connections but point to point business and tourism both ways for the country.
Restoring the key routes of Paris, Dublin, Edinburgh and Belfast needs to be a priority for the airport.

Last edited:
I see that Aer LIngus have terminated their contract with Cityjet on the Dublin to Lcy route, which is their only route from Dublin, and are therefore considering closing their Dublin base, and just recruiting staff for their operations in Scandanavia. This would be a great opportunity for CWL to persuade them to take on the Dublin route. or any of the other vacant routes needed to be filled at CWL, although I appreciate that Cityjet may be reluctant to come back to Cwl, after 2013 when Flybe moved in, and they were virtually unable to compete with their Fokker 50's on the Scottish routes.

Cityjet are a completely different airline to 2013. If they were to take on the Dublin route then I'd have thought it would be on behalf of someone like Aer Lingus. They'd need someone to sell tickets through. CWL most likely options for Dublin will be Stobart/Aer Lingus returning or a base from Eastern or Blue islands and Ryanair might be a long shot.

Cityjet are a completely different airline to 2013. If they were to take on the Dublin route then I'd have thought it would be on behalf of someone like Aer Lingus. They'd need someone to sell tickets through. CWL most likely options for Dublin will be Stobart/Aer Lingus returning or a base from Eastern or Blue islands and Ryanair might be a long shot.

We live in hope but i can’t see that happening. Stobart air would be probably the best suited if they don’t end up in administration?

I don’t really see what Cityjet do these days, probably only a matter of time before they end up shutting shop.

We live in hope but i can’t see that happening. Stobart air would be probably the best suited if they don’t end up in administration?
I think it depends on whether they can attract anyone to base at the airport as having Dublin available as a route might make a base more attractive for an airline.
The plan for Cityjet was to become an ACMI airline and operate other airlines regional services. Unfortunately they tend to get cut first. They were in the process of a merger with Air Nostrum but I think that is on hold.

Could this be an opportunity for the WG to get thier PSO list approved by UKgovernment? I can't see APD being devolved but PSOing several key routes could help.
Quite possible. Could be a way of linking all sorts of smaller airports around the UK and not just with Wales. Depends also on how closely tied the UK remains to the EU rules on such things as PSO routes once the transition period is up at the end of the year.

There are also questions about how much business travel will be needed in the future now that so many companies have become used to conducting business via the likes of Zoom, FaceTime and Skype. If business travel is reduced that will obviously impact on a number of domestic air routes as well as international ones.

"Edinburgh to Cardiff is just behind, at 304 passengers per day"
CWL-EDI has to be the most baffling current unserved UK domestic route, given the physical distance and the fact that both ends serve capital cities. I know we've had explanations but I still find it hard to believe that Loganair could not make a go of it and that, to date, no-one else has stepped in - at least publicly. There might well be arrangements being put in place behind the scenes.

I do find it odd, hopefully they've got something up their sleeves!
I do think as well that the airport needs to say something about the lost routes especially if there's positive news on the way as although many flights are now returning people are starting to wonder if the likes of Edinburgh and Dublin will ever return and can't understand why other airports especially Exeter are picking up routes but Cardiff isn't.

Last edited:
Routes that work or not work does in 2 ways. The 2 ways are what works out of Exeter does not out of Cardiff,the other way is what works out of Cardiff will not work out of Exeter.It happens at all airports and the main reason is how wealthy is the catchment area.

Routes that work or not work does in 2 ways. The 2 ways are what works out of Exeter does not out of Cardiff,the other way is what works out of Cardiff will not work out of Exeter.It happens at all airports and the main reason is how wealthy is the catchment area.
Yes they are 2 different airports but from the comment's I've seen people see Cardiff as the bigger and more important airport. It being the airport of Wales capital city and Wales national airport. The expectation is that Cardiff should have these routes and people can't understand why Exeter has them but Cardiff doesn't and I do think that reflects on the image of the airport in people's minds as the expectation of what routes Cardiff should have is quite high. I've even seen Cardiff compared to Edinburgh in that many of their routes especially Qatar are back operating.

And just for the record it's not me who's been saying that Cardiff is more important than Exeter.

I was writeing a reply to the post you put up. I never said CWL is more important than Exeter or Exeter more than Cwl. My reply was if you read it correctly was some routes out of Exeter and not Cwl and some routes from CWL and not Exeter work. The same can be said at BRS.Cruises spring to mind that they work very well out of CWL and not very well out of BRS.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock