Thank goodness Jet2 operate using two different liveries, otherwise it would be even more boring from a photographer point of view. Back in 1979 and the years following, the holiday market was almost totally dependent on charter airlines and there were, as as result, a lot of them, especially from Spain, most of whom went out of business. We were at our peak in terms of different operators in the period 1985 through to the mid 90s when the number of airlines started to diminish. We have had and lost so many carriers now it is hard to keep up, but so have all the other airports. It was great to see them all and fortunately I have photos of many, but lets not forget we could go 2 to 3 hours each day with no movements at all back then and a largely empty apron. The Britannia flights generally didn't even operate weekly - many were 2 or 3 weekly. Air Malta started around the late 70s too and of course at weekends we had a good selection of Dan Air who all by themselves gave us a rich variety with 737 200, 1-11 300 and 500, 727 200, their based 748, and later their BAe146. They even operated a Viscount one summer in the late 70s. It all seemed exciting then as we were not used to it, but I remember wishing very much we would end up more like we are now and if that means having lots of the same, then so be it. It just makes the occasional different visitor even more special.

Agreed ! but as my original post we were hoping for more destinations from them with the backing of IAG.
It is not going to happen so lets get on with it as you say.
I will find it difficult to get too excited by 13 or 14 Ryanair movements a day.
I must agree that I had hoped that the return of BA in 2012 and its ownership by the IAG group would lead to opportunities from LBA and hoped that Vueling would be another stone in opening up more IAG routes. Obviously not to be but its failure will not I am sure impact on any other ideas IAG have about routes from LBA.
They will have learnt what does not work, important in business terms.
I can get excited by any movements that result in a new destination from LBA, dont care if every flight movement a 737, just wish to see more flights to popular destinations and a few new ones.
We should give up our fixation with Manchester on this forum, we are Leeds a seperate entity, as a recent BBC Sunday Politics show stated, manchester region gets 10 times the central government infrastucture capital expenditure then the leeds region. The appointment of a regional manchester mayor from this May is expected to increase this income gap.
We have a sitting MP who would rather close the airport down then stand up for its expansion, when you have apathy at the top and a council more afraid of losing votes then a grown up transport policy, airport management has a hard task.

There has been quite a few suggestions that the Vueling flight was pulled because it failed as a route, suggesting low loads or whatever. I have seen nothing to indicate it was pulled for that reason and the information I have been given in the past suggested it had a decent first season last summer. I rather think this is all to do with the state of the airline, not the passenger figures. I cannot see that the Leeds, Liverpool and Newcastle routes all failed in terms of passengers. I am sure there are other factors at work here, and I will find out when I next see Tony Hallwood!

Last edited:
Vueling just announced a Paris Orly base with a bunch of UK destinations added. LBA would of been great but has been missed. Id be happy with a return of BCN like in 2016 but better timed. I can see that working along side LS now ZB are not on the route.

same old boring response LBA4EVER, why is that then? they have flown from here once before with the same facilities which have improved since. comparing LBA to other airports ive passed through, BFS for example isn't a scratch on LBA. Can you please keep your infrastructure boring repetitive comments to yourself now we get it. Glad your not in charge of route development or we wouldn't get one route at all as you don't have any faith in our currently facilities which has served us well over the years but now outdated.

Am I right in thinking Vueling only have 18 pairs of slots which are ex AF so they dont have too much scope for expansion here as yet so they will go for big hitters to help get their finances on track?

Vueling would be welcome at LBA as I remember the days when LS231/232 were daily leaving at 13.35 and arriving back 19.15 and now we have 2x weekly so there is much scope here as carryings have dwindled in recent years as LS move to their package core business. They have come back to our sister airport Newcastle with much improved flight times (albeit 2x weekly) and a friend of mine travelled this week and was impressed, decent quality trolley to buy from and good WIFI. LS major around Fri / Mon flights so Thur and Sun would work well here!

same old boring response LBA4EVER, why is that then? they have flown from here once before with the same facilities which have improved since. comparing LBA to other airports ive passed through, BFS for example isn't a scratch on LBA. Can you please keep your infrastructure boring repetitive comments to yourself now we get it. Glad your not in charge of route development or we wouldn't get one route at all as you don't have any faith in our currently facilities which has served us well over the years but now outdated.
I know im correct, thats the issue though our current facilities have not served us well over the years, airline operators are aware of that. Nothing will change until we get better infrastructure and that is fact, anyway sorry i spoke!

The new terminal would provide a real boost- no doubt. However beyond the growth that this will stimulate I think it would be hard for the airport to expand beyond the projected 7m without substantial improvement to the road infrastructure. The rail station will help but not significantly.

The new terminal would provide a real boost- no doubt. However beyond the growth that this will stimulate I think it would be hard for the airport to expand beyond the projected 7m without substantial improvement to the road infrastructure. The rail station will help but not significantly.

And that won't happen. This is Leeds. We don't have the joined up thinking that brings about good roads to the airport to help people get there. On the contrary, there are too many people who oppose the airport and it's development within the council and even the West Yorkshire Combined Authority to ever sanction a seriously good road network in the vicinity of LBA to assist it's growth , and even if they did, the Government would probably block it following the NIMBY outcry. They blocked the Pudsey to Dishforth Motorway that would have linked LBA to the M62, A1, and indirectly to the M1. The Council caved in and axed the recent link road due to its 'lack of popularity', despite spending significant sums taking it to detailed design stage.

The problem is that in reality, the location of LBA and the existing road network means that nothing short of a new dual carriageway would really work. Existing roads do not lend themselves to major alteration with so many junctions and properties alongside. New roads mean green belt gone and we all know what that leads to.
Nothing!

Last edited:
I know im correct, thats the issue though our current facilities have not served us well over the years, airline operators are aware of that. Nothing will change until we get better infrastructure and that is fact, anyway sorry i spoke!
you know your correct.. if you say so.. We have had 1 new operator (BA city flyer) & 1 operator coming back EZY. our clapped out terminal must be good enough for them.. anyway cant wait to see your same replies for the rest of time forget until this terminal gets built zzzz

you know your correct.. if you say so.. We have had 1 new operator (BA city flyer) & 1 operator coming back EZY. our clapped out terminal must be good enough for them.. anyway cant wait to see your same replies for the rest of time forget until this terminal gets built zzzz
EZY and BA are only here to replace 2 lost operators, BA have done this across a range of airports, this is the only reason we have these operators.
For west yorkshire and the leeds city region to have an airport like it currently is really is abysmal, we can chat about this forever but until we get better infrastructure we will see no growth, no exciting new routes and no new airlines that im sure of.
Every airport large and small in this country are seeing new routes and airlines, everyone but LBA, there is a reason for this! Im sorry i sound so negative but we need to face the truth here!

Last edited:
The truth is simple @LBA4EVER.

The local infrastructure around the airport will struggle and will continue to do so. Even with a railway station it will still struggle as we fail with joined up thinking. That motorway link @White Heather alluded to would of been so beneficial. But it appears we are have citizens opposite to Manchester with a selfish attitude. We have a bunch of Selfish self serving Labour Mp's who clearly are more extinction rebellion MP's than Labour.

As for the airport terminal and constantly bombarding us with that it needs improving or we need a new one as its the reason we don't get carriers.

Veuling are a "away" based airline. They come into Leeds from overseas. Therefore they will be utilising the airport in it's quieter periods whenever that may be. Afternoon is a bit different however the "wave" or "peak" is far more spread out than that of a morning. Yes we need an improved terminal. Yes it is congested at peak. But some common sense and you'll see there is something to attract the airline. A rich catchment area, routes that have yet to reach full potential from Yorkshire region. There is masses upon masses of potential that this city, region and airports can achieve. Sadly, as we know, that will never be reached. But there is some of that potential then can still be unlocked even with current terminal facilities.

We also need to remember Veuling served LBA before. Maybe Barcelona wasn't the best route given at that time Monarch and Jet2 were on it. But now there is the need to serve the Catalonia capital in competition with Jet2. Unless Ryanair get there first.

Last edited:
Completely agree Sherburnflyer92. Talking nothing but sense.

we all know the terminal needs improving, I think we can all agree on that, however as for EZY & BA replacing lost operators? yep and our "poor" infrastructure has still enticed them to come, not really much of a point. nothing to say they wont expand, who knows. I believe EZY applied for BFS when Stobart was operating so it was always going to be likely.

as for constantly bombarding us with the infrastructure on just about every post, it is very tiresome and not stimulating healthy discussion. as of course ever member is entitled to their own opinion but it gets very very boring. we currently have 9 operators, which is a lot more then some other UK airports, it cant be that bad..

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock