Good to have flight numbers and timings.
I was under the impression the US DoT had already approved the flights but from @SeanM1997, it appears not:
"Aer Lingus have requested for the US Department of Transport to authorise its UK-US flight plans by 7 January so the airline can promote, advertise and sell tickets from 8 January 2021"

https://antiguaobserver.com/tourism...mportance-to-discussions-with-major-airlines/

"While the restructuring of regional airline LIAT remains polarising, Minister of Tourism Charles Fernandez said ir's contnued operation will prove vital in talks with some major international airlines..... just last week Aer Lingus contacted us and they want to fly to the Caribbean, so they will be offering a flight - Dublin, Manchester, Antigua. Of course this is important for us because it will open up the northern part of England."

Now it seems there is a possibility of a five aircraft base!

IAG has plans to initially shift five aircraft to Manchester to operate direct flights from the UK city to destinations in the United States this year, including Orlando, New York and Boston.

Mr Moriarty claimed that the plan “doesn’t involve the taking aircraft that would otherwise be deployed in Irish airports”.

“Our fleet plan and the aircraft within our fleet is sufficient to allow us to launch services from regional UK to North America and for us to execute on our plans out of airports in Ireland,” he said.

Courtesy of SPD_Travels on Twitter

Aer Lingus, where could they serve?​

March 03, 2021
Aer Lingus, where could they serve.

It was until recently one of the worst kept ‘secrets’ in post-covid aviation. Aer Lingus were to set up a trans-Atlantic base at Manchester.
Plans have changed over the course of time. First 2 aircraft were to be based, then 4 aircraft, then 3 and now Donal Moriarty has been quoted in Irish media as saying 5 aircraft would be based at Manchester. But, where could those 5 aircraft serve?

So, firstly, let’s put down what we do know.

Initial routes will be New York and Boston, both daily and both using the A321N. Orlando will also be served, using the A330-300. All 3 are reasonably solid routes. Yes, Boston has had its ups and downs, but hopefully a lower cost base A321N, along with the AA/BA joint venture, could finally hold the key to unlocking the routes longevity.
But this leaves 2 aircraft, and what they could do.

Firstly, we don’t know the mix of these aircraft, but given the Caribbean has been touted, one can assume that one of the extra 2 planes will be an A330, and I personally think 3rd A321N will be based too.

So, what routes? These are my guesses.

Chicago:

Was once a very busy route, supporting both an A330 and B767 side by side at one point in time. The route was pulled by American in recent years, but I firmly believed there was a managed decline in the route with abysmal on time performance, regular cancellations back in the early days of the B787 base at Chicago and then the switch back to old B767s towards the end of the routes life.
For exactly the same reasons listed earlier about why Boston could work, this is also true for Chicago. At 3826nm, Manchester-Chicago sits well within the 4700 range of the A321N. The aircraft could be a right size plane for the route and offer connections at Chicago. Atlanta is a big transfer point for Virgin and Delta, Chicago could be this for Aer Lingus, British Airways and American. Daily flights to allow maximum connection flexibility is a good aim.

Las Vegas:

Has always been a popular route for Northern folk. At one point, the route had 10 flights a week between Virgin and Thomas Cook. Given leisure flying will be a focus of many airlines for the next 2-3 years, it was a surprise to me that Virgin pulled Las Vegas from Manchester, as surely should be a shoe-in for a renewed leisure focus? A 3 weekly flight should be more than realistic for a starting off point.

Antigua:

The Antiguan government recently went public with the news that Aer Lingus is potentially looking at linking Antigua to both Dublin and Manchester. This route has been served by Thomas Cook before their demise, and I believe could be a good route for Aer Lingus. I feel a 2 weekly flight to allow 7/10/14 night breaks is a realistic frequency.

St Lucia:

Once served by Virgin Atlantic, Thomas Cook and recently tried by TUI before travel bans put a stop to the route, a perennially popular island from the U.K. and could be another winner for Aer Lingus. Again, 2 weekly would be a sensible frequency.

Other contenders for a route could be Barbados (but served by TUI and Virgin so could be competitive), Punta Cana (served by BA from Gatwick) or even San Francisco (popular route for Aer Lingus at Dublin), but the above 4 are my ‘more realistic’ options.

All systems go for the marketing and sales to begin for Aer Lingus UK https://www.regulations.gov/document/DOT-OST-2020-0250-0006

"In consideration of the above factors, we similarly find that grant of a temporary marketing authority exemption to Aer Lingus Limited, on a limited basis, is consistent with the public interest.14 Accordingly, we have decided to grant this authority effective March 5, 2021, through March 5, 2022, or until such a time that Aer Lingus (U.K.) Limited has the capability to fully implement the marketing, sales, and operational elements of its services with its own unique designator code, whichever occurs earlier"

Courtesy of SPD_Travels in Twitter:

SPD travels

@SPD_travels

News | 29th March will see Aer Lingus conduct its U.K. AOC proving flight. EI2200 will arrive at MAN 0900 from DUB, conduct its proving flight between 1000-1520, and then position back to DUB as EI2201 at 1620. A321N used. Thanks to Paul Clare for the info.

6:33 PM · Mar 11, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

a bit of fluff on this announcement from anna.aero https://www.anna.aero/2021/03/25/ae...market-data-showcases-recent-dub-hub-success/

"Between 2016 and 2019, Aer Lingus increased its Manchester-North America passenger numbers by 70.2% based on information from OAG Traffic Analyser data, growing from over 16,600 one-way passengers to 28,300,..... The UK flag carrier has a strong presence in Manchester, with the airline transporting 53,600 one-way passengers to North America from the airport via London Heathrow in 2019. The top destination was New York JFK (6,500 one-way passengers), accounting for 12.2% of BA’s Manchester-North America traffic that year. Miami, Los Angeles, Boston and Chicago O’Hare rounded off the top five North American connections in 2019."

also shows the one-way fare MAN-DUB-US City. Chicago biggest wth over 6000 passengers with average fare $600. Then comes Boston, Washington and Los Angeles (in terms of fares) or Boston, New York, Washngton (in terms of passenger numbers).

first comments on the bookings...

"Ms Embleton said so far, they are seeing strong bookings for the new Manchester route.
"If you compare the Manchester bookings for long haul to the Dublin bookings for long haul, you can see the difference in optimism and the impact of having a roadmap (in the UK) for opening up aviation. There is a lot more optimism and clarity in the UK market than we have in Ireland,"

May seem a bit of stretch to extract that very positive comment out of the direct quotation but at least it gives a nice indication, especially when bookings on the US routes are only open to UK residents
https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0507/1214292-iag-quarterly-results/

More on the same theme from the Irish Independent

"Aer Lingus recently opened a base at Manchester to operate direct services to the US and the Caribbean. Ms Embleton said forward bookings are “going well” and that if possible, the airline would add more long-haul services from Manchester. “The centre of gravity of Aer Lingus, I want it to be Dublin,” she said.

No surprise that the Irish national carrier wants to be Dublin focused. But the "extras" for MAN? Cancun seeems to be there or thereabout as is Antigua. Next year Cape Town perhaps. Chicago/Philadelphia maybe> Let's be adventurous and say Goa in India (Airbus states sttate 7400km for A321LR in 2 class 206 seat. EI have 10% fewer seats so I wonder if that makes the route doable given the distance is 7700km). Part of the fun when there's 3 based aircraft now but a non-denied story of 5 aircraft a nonth or 2 back.

https://www.independent.ie/business...e-funding-in-fight-for-survival-40398745.html

Aer Lingus have delayed the start of its transatlantic flights from Manchester to New York and Orlando. Was supposed to start 29th July now starting 30 September.

Aer Lingus have just re-registered one of their A330-300s. EI-ELA is now G-EILA so I assume this will be one of the A330s they will base at Manchester.

Thanks to plane spotters.net

Looking at G-INFO, it offers this

Registered owner details​

Ownership status: Chartered

Registered owners:
AER LINGUS (UK) LTD
LEVEL 10, PIER 1, TERMINAL 2
MANCHESTER AIRPORT
MANCHESTER
M90 1QX

I thought it would be registered at Belfast City? After all the BACF fllet appears to be registered in Didsbury and we know there's no runways there (though with the present weather, I'm sure a flying boat or two could be used if needed).

Manchester- Belfast now on sale for Winter 2021

Thanks to SPD travels on Twitter.

Aer Lingus confirmed Summer 2022 transatlantic network for Manchester: so far

New York JFK and Orlando.

Source: London Air Travel on Twitter

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock