4 x b737 versus 2xb757 and 2x b737 means capacity drop. No sign of any increases to compensate. Hardly a ringing endorsement of growth by existing carriers is it though ? Surely something will change ?
It is quite possible that the growth went to Cardiff and Exeter but they have been known to change things. I think it's a case of wait and see but expect 4 737s.

4 x b737 versus 2xb757 and 2x b737 means capacity drop. No sign of any increases to compensate. Hardly a ringing endorsement of growth by existing carriers is it though ? Surely something will change ?

A loss of over 50,000 seats for the summer. Only very slightly compensated by a 787-8 on one of the Dubrovnik and Larnaca weekly rotations. With Ryanair showing nil growth again next summer the policy of relying on existing carriers for further substantial growth does look questionable. It has to be assumed the airport management knows what it is doing but from an outsider's viewpoint one cannot help but wonder.

Senior management teams of the past four decades have always managed to come up trumps so it has to be hoped that this one will continue the tradition.

The new CEO seems a bit quiet when it comes to public utterances. Previous ones courted the media to an extent and usually had something to say. I'm not aware of any pronouncements from Mr Lees other than his introductory words on taking up his position. I note that he intends to submit written reports to the consultation committee. From the minutes, Robert Sinclair seemed to address the committee verbally and some of his comments were of interest to airport watchers.

In fact, Mr Lees might be unfortunate as he was the man in charge at the time of the cyber attack (it would doubtless have occurred whoever was the CEO) and also when it appears the airport's growth is slowing following three years of probably outperformance.

So far 2019 doesn't look exciting at all given that Ryanair and bmi are stagnant and Tui are adding 2 new routes but so far reducing capacity. Im guessing we need to see what easyJet are going to do

Post 982 on this threadsounds very much like I said many posts back. The main comment was airport got like the secret service with no imformation from airport management. Looking at things in general from the airport they have put a barrier up from them to us out siders.I can understand sensitive news,but it does not stop there as its extended to more or less all reports about the airport.The airport has to change its position about reports out of the airport or it will come back to bite them in the bum.The new ceo mr lees I see is sending reports to the next meeting and not attending. That is a very bad practice in any industry.All the other ceo attended these meetings and I cant see how commitments have risen so much that these meetings can not be attended by the ceo.
If this is in wrong forum please move me.

Post 982 on this threadsounds very much like I said many posts back. The main comment was airport got like the secret service with no imformation from airport management. Looking at things in general from the airport they have put a barrier up from them to us out siders.I can understand sensitive news,but it does not stop there as its extended to more or less all reports about the airport.The airport has to change its position about reports out of the airport or it will come back to bite them in the bum.The new ceo mr lees I see is sending reports to the next meeting and not attending. That is a very bad practice in any industry.All the other ceo attended these meetings and I cant see how commitments have risen so much that these meetings can not be attended by the ceo.
If this is in wrong forum please move me.
I get the impression that the new CEO will still attend consultative committee meetings (he was at the last one) but the difference appears to be in his submitting a written report to the committee members which would be filed with the agenda papers. Minutes of past meetings suggest that the previous CEO addressed the meeting and his comments were included in the minutes.

I'll leave your post and my reply in this thread now superking as you've linked it with #982 which itself moved away from TUI to a degree (I hold up my hands for that).

If we want to continue a discussion on the points you raised perhaps then further posts would be better placed in the General thread or if specific to the consultative committee in that thread.

This morning's TUI flight to Kittila reportedly suffered a seven- hour delay. The local rag believes the reason was the necessity to source an aircraft from Gatwick.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/lapland-flight-tui-bristol-airport-2308307

It may have been an aircraft part from LGW, but not another aircraft from LGW.

The only TUI movements today from BRS today were as follows:
B752 (G-OOBN) departed BRS for LGW at 4:20am this morning. It then operated from LGW to KEF and HRG.
B752 (G-OOBB) departed BRS for Kittilä at 1:30pm (7hrs late)
There seems to have been no spare 752s today, and the one that was sent to LGW may have been covering another tech aircraft there.

Currently the 13x TUI 752s are based as follows:
LGW x3 (4x today, 1x from BRS)
MAN x2
BHX x2
BRS x2 (1x operated from LGW today)
GLA x1
1x operates for luxury travel operator TCS and has been in BHX since November
2x in maintenance at SNN & LTN

Usual media bull s--t again. Its easier to make up a story than get a true version.

Sal no longer on the Dreamliner next summer . Can a 737 get that far?

Not sure, but has the Dreamliner been moved to another route? I have had a quick look and as yet can’t find anything. The Tues Cancun flight returns to Bristol at around 10am on the Wednesday morning, operates 2 shorthauls on Thursday, Sanford on Friday, Cancun again on Saturday. Maybe a glitch in the system, but I will have another look to see what routes operate on a Wednesday

So it would suggest a 737-8 Max, if that’s what we are getting can get to Sal
That's a reduction of around 200 seats per rotation - from 788 to 738.

Looking at the schedule, not much change apart from the DLM/SAL swap.
787 Flights;
Tues - CUN
Wed - DLM
Thu - DBV & LCA
Fri - SFB
Sat - CUN

Also Sat DLM and Sun AYT both TBA on a non based aircraft, probably the likes of Freebird.

Maybe they couldn't get an economic load on the 787 - too few pax - but enough for a 738.
Sal has been operating year-round by TUI at once-weekly since 2015. Apart from summer 2018, when the aircraft was switched to the airline's Boeing 787-8, the route has been operated by TUI's Boeing 757-200 aircraft.

Loads were generally high, eg

Summer 2018

May - 2531 passengers, average load 253, up 50% on May 2017 when the route was 757-operated
June - 2248, 281, up 16%*
July - 2234, 279, up 16%*
August - 2829, 283, up 63%
September - accurate figures not available **
October - 2555, 255, up 50%

* an additional operating day in these months in 2017 than in the same months in 2018
** the CAA made a pig's ear of the BRS figures for September (see elsewhere in the BRS threads)

It can be seen that as far as loads are concerned the market generated far more passengers than could be accommodated on a Boeing 737-800, and the Boeng 787-8 saw its loads increase over those of the Boeing 757 broadly commensurate with the seating capacities of the two types.

TUI is disposing of its 757s over the next year or so. In summer 2019 it has been reported that BRS's two based TUI Boeing 757s will be replaced by two Boeing 737-800s giving a base complement of four 737-800s and a 787-8 part-based for five days each week.

So that will mean a considerable drop in seat availability to Sal in summer 2019. It seems that the 787-8 will now be switched to the Dalaman route on Wednesdays having been originally shown to be operating to Sal as it did in summer 2018.

I haven't checked the overall Dalaman operation for summer 2019. In summer 2018 there were ten weekly flights spread across easyJet, TUI and Thomas Cook against the once-weekly Sal route by TUI. TUI has either calculated that Dalaman will nevertheless be a better business prospect than Sal for the 787-8 or there is some operational reason which on first sight seems unclear. Perhaps the change is based on forward bookings across the two routes for next summer.

I know a couple of groups of people who travel to Sal from BRS at least annually and they all commented how much they enjoyed the 787-8 in summer 2018. I don't know if they have already booked for summer 2019. If they have and did so on the basis that the aircraft would be a 787 again, they won't be happy bunnies if they find they are now flying on a 737, even if it is a MAX.

Flights to Turkey in Summer 2019 (vs 2018)

DLM
2018: 10
3x EZY / 5x TCX / 1x TUI / 1x FHY

2019: 10
3x EZY / 5x TCX / 1x TUI (787) / 1x FHY?
——————————————————————————
AYT
2018: 5
4x TCX / 1x TUI

2019: 7
5x TCX / 1x TUI / 1x FHY?
——————————————————————————
BJV
2018: 4
3x EZY / 1x TUI

2019: 5
3x EZY / 1x TUI / 1x TCX

So if it’s established that we are having 4 x 737 next summer , how many seats available do we lose as a result. Surely TUI wouldn’t intentionally reduce income unless the 757s were operating below capacity

So if it’s established that we are having 4 x 737 next summer , how many seats available do we lose as a result. Surely TUI wouldn’t intentionally reduce income unless the 757s were operating below capacity
If it's taken that the two 757s both operated two rotations a day in summer which I think was the general pattern although there might have been the odd day each week during part of the summer when one of them did three, I make it a loss of 256 seats a day.

That's assuming the 757s have 221 seats and the 738s 189. 256 seats a day equates to 7680/7936 seats per month.

The main summer period is May-October so that's about 47,000 seats during the season although some flights come off before the end of October so say around 45,000 fewer seats in summer 2019 than in summer 2018 if the 757s 'become' 738s.

The B788 operating three short-haul routes will add some seats over the 757 although one of the short-haul routes replaces Sal which it seems will be a 737 next summer. Taking all that into account the short-haul 788 routes will mean roughly 7,000 more seats during the summer season next year than a 757-operated service on the routes in question.

So all in all it seems that 40,000 - give or take a thousand or two - is the net loss in seats for next summer.

Dont forget that TUI are basing an extra 737 at CWL. A lot of Welsh use TUI from BRS. Given the extra capacity at CWL is may displace customers from BRS but still keep them as TUI customers.
TUI are adding just under 140k seats with the extra aircraft at CWL, meaning there's still an increase in the Southwest & Wales region for TUI of 100k seats.
Generally prices are cheaper at BRS or more availability. Now there's greater frequencies and seats available, prices at CWL may come down and more Welsh people will use it over BRS. Overall if TUI can't increase their market share, BRS may actually lose out.
EXT are seeing small additional capacity as well so could be the same story.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock