Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
Hi there!

How are we doing? Forums4airports would be interested to know your opinions so we can continue to improve the forums and get more people involved. Tell us what you think, good and bad. It's the only way we can learn to improve the forum.

I rely upon the forum for a great deal of news about the changes in the Airline industry and contribute when I have something to add or recall from yesteryear. It has been quiet recently, but there again people are on holiday, and summer is a quiet time for airline announcements.
I think there is a good mix of members with "old timers" like myself and younger people who all share an interest together with people who work in the Industry.

Who are you calling an old timer? I'm only sixty and a bit (lol) but seriously this is a superb forum for aviaton enthusiasts and some people in the know who all generally comment in a positive and friendly manner its the only one I post on well done to Aviador, administrators and the mods.

Rollo

Good morning, I enjoy the chat as long as its friendly . Unfortunately I am the only regular person in my local airport forum, so often no conversation there. I do regularly visit others however.
Some airports are very popular and generate lots of comment, opinion, debate across many regular posters to those airports' threads whereas other airports are much less well patronised.

Some members, such as yourself, read threads in other airports as well as the airport/s they are especially interested in, whereas others concentrate mainly/solely on their 'own' airport and rarely visit other airport threads. That's certainly not a criticism because we all have different ways of fostering our aviation interest and many members just don't have the time to read all the posts that are submitted each day to F4A (unlike me as I'm retired).

As for the LPL threads, can I say straight away that your input is greatly appreciated and I, and I am sure others, have learned much about that airport through your posts. I'm pleased to see that other members do contribute to the LPL threads from time to time but it would be great if we could recruit new members with a special interest in LPL, and new members with a special interest in those other airports that are less popular on this website. If anyone is in a position to pass the word please do so. I know Aviador is aware of the imbalance and a number of initiatives have been tried down the years to attract more members to give a more equitable spread across all the airports. These have borne some fruit but not as much as we would like.

Has anyone noticed that the new PPRuNe website that was brought in a few weeks ago doesn't seem to generate as many posts as before, at least in the Airlines, Airports and Routes section? I find the new website less user-friendly, despite it having more options. It would be good to think that if PPRuNe members really are posting less one or two might find their way over to F4A.

I think this forum is very good in that it seems to do something that most others don`t, it attracts
people to talk on multi airport forums and not just argue and disagree
I am on many different groups and find that people are interested in what happens
at airport out of their region unlike to quote one Skyscrapercity Liverpool who are downright
obnoxious to non scousers and don`t understand why anybody should be interested
in an airport 30 miles away Carl0927 keep up the good work and of course the same to all
you guys that keep the group running

Nothing to really add. Just can't understand keeping threads going for airports where there has been no contributions for a number of years.
Your post prompted me to check the main airports on the Forums page (26 of them) and all but one (Prestwick) have seen posts this year, and for the most part within the last 2-3 months. There are individual threads within the various airport forums that have lain dormant for a long time but there are some of those in the busiest airport forums.

Having individual forums for the main UK airports, even those that are much less used, is something of an advertisement for those airports. Say a new visitor to F4A, a follower of Norwich Airport, browsed the Forums page and discovered there was no NWI forum; he/she might immediately lose interest in F4A and visit another site. The fact that there is a NWI forum, albeit not one of the more popular ones, will we hope lead to the NWI aficionado investigating those posts on 'his/her' airport that are extant and they might interest him/her into visiting the site regularly and possibly eventually becoming a member, even a posting member.

I think it's important to have as many airports featured as possible, it's a good way to encourage new members and to learn information at unfamiliar airports. Gloucestershire Airport is quiet now, but not long ago it had links from Manx2 ( I don't recall what they became). An airport such as this may suddenly become more busy again, things change as time goes on.

I think this forum is very good in that it seems to do something that most others don`t, it attracts
people to talk on multi airport forums and not just argue and disagree
I am on many different groups and find that people are interested in what happens
at airport out of their region unlike to quote one Skyscrapercity Liverpool who are downright
obnoxious to non scousers and don`t understand why anybody should be interested
in an airport 30 miles away Carl0927 keep up the good work and of course the same to all
you guys that keep the group running

Thanks

Never heard of skyscrapercity but doesn't sound one for me !!

The Manchester forum is great so is Birmingham Carl just Liverpool which seems to be about
6 or 7 people who hate Manchester

Sorry maybe not as clear as I meant but I`m talking about Skyscrapercity Liverpool airport forum
with Carl, nothing to do with this site

Nothing to really add. Just can't understand keeping threads going for airports where there has been no contributions for a number of years.

@TheLocalYokel was spot on there with his reply. I know we have some underused parts of the forum but if they're not there at all people would never even consider posting here.

The idea of this thread was to enable the forum users to help shape the way the forum evolves in the future. Just about everything that we've done has been done after people made a suggestion or request. The homepage as it is now was done to enable us to highlight new and old posts of interest to drive new users to interesting subjects within the forum they might otherwise not realise are there. It also allows us to headline news items that would otherwise disappear from the recent posts section after a couple of hours.

Xenforo 2 is now out as is Xenforo Porta 2 and over the next few months I'll be looking to move the site to the new software (with the contributions gratefully received from our subscribers.)

One of the things I'm going to try to do if I can is enable moderators to add news snippets to the homepage. It is already possible to do now but it's not set up properly. The upgraded version of Porta 2 looks like it simplifies the process so it should enable us to do it much easier. I'm conscious that I need to get as many airports covered on the hopepage as possible and I feel we don't always do this.

I'd also be interested to know if there's anything we can do to improve the media gallery. Many people still seem to prefer to use Flikr and other hosting sites for their aviation photos. Others seem to prefer to post using the attachment option in the posting page. Unfortunately though, images posted this way take up space unnecessarily. If there's something we can do here to make the media gallery more appealing we'll look at it?

Ideas? Thoughts? Opinions?

Fair point with regards to the "Media". I'll try in future to place my MANTP photos there before creating the updated thread.

I also appreciate your comment with regards to the old threads that Mode1 referred. On hindsight it's good to have somewhere to look back on if trying to find historical information.

Finally can I say what an amazing site F4A is. You have produced a set of forums that are easy to use and which encourage the addition of photographs that cover such a wide-ranging set of topics.

With the Media gallery is it possible to have on each forum that instead of photo threads each forum could have it's own photo album that can be uploaded to by anyone and would appear on the each individual forum as well as in the Media gallery?

Hi Jerry, are you able to illistrate what you mean?

In an effort to bring the galleries closer to the forum some of the forums have links directly to their own gallery with returning links back to the same forum. Are you saying we should do this to all the forums and remove the specific photo threads within forums to encourage more people to use the gallery?

It might be something we could test maybe.

Good morning, I enjoy the chat as long as its friendly . Unfortunately I am the only regular person in my local airport forum, so often no conversation there. I do regularly visit others however.

It's worth noting that when F4A started I was the only poster on the entire forum. Eventually talking to yourself catches the attention of others!

Hi Jerry, are you able to illistrate what you mean?

In an effort to bring the galleries closer to the forum some of the forums have links directly to their own gallery with returning links back to the same forum. Are you saying we should do this to all the forums and remove the specific photo threads within forums to encourage more people to use the gallery?

It might be something we could test maybe.
Yes that's what I was thinking. That way the gallery acts as the photo thread for the forum.

Love F4A, most friendly forums ive ever been on, lovely people and always balanced debates.

Site is easy to use and very well made with mobile support

Forums well set out and topics very clear

Can’t really critique anything

Even just got a trophy for it being my birthday, lovely touch F4A <3

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock