Advertisement

Request How are we doing?

Brum X

Premium Member Plus
Mar 23, 2011
Birmingham UK
@TheLocalYokel was spot on there with his reply. I know we have some underused parts of the forum but if they're not there at all people would never even consider posting here.

The idea of this thread was to enable the forum users to help shape the way the forum evolves in the future. Just about everything that we've done has been done after people made a suggestion or request. The homepage as it is now was done to enable us to highlight new and old posts of interest to drive new users to interesting subjects within the forum they might otherwise not realise are there. It also allows us to headline news items that would otherwise disappear from the recent posts section after a couple of hours.

Xenforo 2 is now out as is Xenforo Porta 2 and over the next few months I'll be looking to move the site to the new software (with the contributions gratefully received from our subscribers.)

One of the things I'm going to try to do if I can is enable moderators to add news snippets to the homepage. It is already possible to do now but it's not set up properly. The upgraded version of Porta 2 looks like it simplifies the process so it should enable us to do it much easier. I'm conscious that I need to get as many airports covered on the hopepage as possible and I feel we don't always do this.

I'd also be interested to know if there's anything we can do to improve the media gallery. Many people still seem to prefer to use Flikr and other hosting sites for their aviation photos. Others seem to prefer to post using the attachment option in the posting page. Unfortunately though, images posted this way take up space unnecessarily. If there's something we can do here to make the media gallery more appealing we'll look at it?

Ideas? Thoughts? Opinions?
Sorry Aviador, I think I might be one of the worst offenders for downloading my photos via ph-tobucket and directly onto the BHX Photo thread. And I did it last weekend, I bet your server was going overdrive with all my BHX piccies and videos. :eek::eek::eek:

So my pledge to you is in the future I am going to use the Birmingham airport section within the MEDIA section to download my photos and videos.

I must admit I totally forget about the media option on FFA tbh and its only because im flicking between FFA and SSC most of the time and I need ph-tobucket to download my photos on SSC (Brum X is a busy bee)

Barcelona page get ready there is going to be a load of photos coming your way in October.

Last edited:

Advertisement

Scottie Dog

Staff member
I've upgraded to support F4A!
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
Am I the only person who appears to have stopped getting emails advising of updates to threads I am following? It only seems to have happened in the last 48 hours.

Ashley.S.

Site Maintenance
Staff member
Apr 10, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
www.envesko.com
Am I the only person who appears to have stopped getting emails advising of updates to threads I am following? It only seems to have happened in the last 48 hours.
I have notified @Brandin and he will get it sorted out as soon as possible. It seems the server technicians went a little hard when reconfiguring the server and broke the Emailing system that XenForo uses. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
Many thanks Brandin and certainly my inbox is starting to be populated with F4A notifications.
Out of interest I've notice another subtle change/improvement and that is, if I read a thread that has an alert on it, then the alert count goes down. Thars great because I often read "New Posts" before looking at the alerts.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Many thanks Brandin and certainly my inbox is starting to be populated with F4A notifications.
Out of interest I've notice another subtle change/improvement and that is, if I read a thread that has an alert on it, then the alert count goes down. Thars great because I often read "New Posts" before looking at the alerts.
That will be the Xenforo update we've just had installed. There's a few subtle changes and a few back room changes.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
I believe we have resolved the issue that Ashley mentioned above. Sorry for any issues, and thank you for noticing the issue.
Thankfully I think yesterday's server outage will have been during the forums quietest period between midnight and around 6 am here in the UK so it went largely unnoticed. Thank you for being "on the ball" in getting it sorted for us.

Kevin Farnell

Platinum Member
May 21, 2013
www.flickr.com
I'm curious about the points system. Along with my points, I now have a 'Reaction Score' as well.
What is it, and how are they accumulated?

Keep up the great work!

Kevin

superking

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2013
)I have lots of spare time after I lost my wife and now retired. I look at most postings every day as it kills time.The last comment sounds bad but there is no malice in it.I was a moderator on another forum site(non aviation) and the guy that ran it passed away so the site was closed.I live near BRS airport so im going to favour that airport like many others on these forums follow their airport close to where they live.I will post on other airport threads if I think it warrents comments. News released by airports has got rather quiet lately so the random thread many times relates to things near the airports and in a roundabout wayb affect the airports. With this site being updated there was a few hickups which I reported and had comments back and was sorted out.This site in my mind works very well and with any forum users have always got comments to this and that ,and many ways they are added and work well. So this forum is top notch for me to spend lots of time reading posts.To sum it up the upgrade on here is a good upgrade and long may it continue.Well done to the site maintenance guys for a good job.Also to you aviador a good job by you on keeping every thing in order. A good job by all.

Scottie Dog

Staff member
Sep 7, 2016
Warrington
superking can I just say how sorry I am to hear of your sad loss.Obviously I don't know whether it was recently, but I'm glad that you have found something to do with your spare time. I know, from personal experience, how hard it can be when circumstances suddenly change and that you can find it difficult to find things to do to keep you occupied.

Like you I now read every post that is put on this forum - some more in depth than others - and I would agree that, whilst relatively small, the level of discussion is great and, more importantly, very friendly. Aviador is really hands-on when it comes to running the site, with the help of the tech/maintenance people.

Take care of yourself.

Ashley.S.

Site Maintenance
Staff member
Apr 10, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
www.envesko.com
I'm curious about the points system. Along with my points, I now have a 'Reaction Score' as well.
What is it, and how are they accumulated?

Keep up the great work!

Kevin
The reaction score, was previously recorded as "likes". This has been replaced with a karma/ratings system based on the reactions you recieve on the posts you make as explained by @Aviador. Hope this helps :)

Also, thanks for the amazing feedback @superking it's greatly appreciated :love:

Kevin Farnell

Platinum Member
May 21, 2013
www.flickr.com
The reaction score, was previously recorded as "likes". This has been replaced with a karma/ratings system based on the reactions you recieve on the posts you make as explained by @Aviador. Hope this helps :)

Also, thanks for the amazing feedback @superking it's greatly appreciated :love:
Many thanks for the expalantion, Ashley (and also Aviador).
I've always thought of F4A as the friendliest Airports/aviation forum around. However, the first time I read that someone had 'reacted' to one of my posts, I found this confrontational (before I'd read that they'd done so with a 'like').
I just wonder, if it would be possible to use the term 'responded to' rather than 'reacted to' (and 'response score' rather than 'reaction score')? as this seems much friendlier and more in keeping with the F4A morals.
I appreciate and like the new emoji’s and understand that having a smple 'like' reply doesn't fit with these options.
Please don't see my comments as negativie. I love and feel very privileged to be a member of such a great community.
Just my thoughts.
Thanks again for a wonderful forum.

Kind regards

Kevin

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
I can feel a debate coming along here.

It's a very good point but is it a response or a reaction?

Purely my personal understanding is If somebody leaves you a reply that becomes a response but if somebody leaves you a "like", that is a reaction.

An example would be on the thread where people post about well known faces who have sadly departed us. Previously people reacted with a "like" but really they were thanking the poster for the sad news. Now the user can react with a sad emotion emoji which is far more appropriate. They might not necessarily respond to the post but an emoji is similar to thanking the user for the information whilst at the same time showing how that information made them feel.

Whatever our own opinion is on this, the wording was originally chosen by our forum software provider which is Xenforo. As with most things relating to the inner workings of the site I'd need a consensus of opinion before seeking to change it.

Brum X

Premium Member Plus
Mar 23, 2011
Birmingham UK
I feel like I am letting Forums4Airports down as I dont post much anymore. And the only reason why I dont post much anymore is becouse there is nowt happening at my local airport.

I do still post stuff on the urban forum but I dont post everything I have on urban/city stuff becouse this is an airports forum and I dont want the other stuff taking over so I leave it.

Maybe I need to get more involved in other airports and update them from time to time like some of the smaller UK airports/European airports that hardly get a mention.

What do you think guys/gals ?

:grumpy:

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
I sectioned off the new posts for the different area of the site so people who only prefer one particular topic aren't bombarded with updates for other areas so please, feel free to post as much as you like in any area of the forum @Brum X

Advertisement

Top Bottom