Plans revealed for new state of the art terminal extension Leeds Bradford Airport is delighted to announce the next phase of its redevelopment plan. The region’s biggest airport is planning a multi-million pound, three-storey extension to its terminal building, that once complete, will house a transformed international arrivals process, including immigration, baggage reclaim and customs. The extension will also accommodate new, larger departure gates, seating areas and new retail and food & beverage outlets. Once the new building is completed – scheduled for the end of 2019 - works will then commence on re-modelling the existing terminal building to provide a new security central search area, enhanced check-in facilities, and a simplification of the customer journey through the existing departure lounge, which will also include new retail and F&B offers. We expect these works to be complete for summer 2020. The final phase will include the construction of a new pier, replacing the current passenger walkway with a twostorey structure, housing arrivals and ground level, and departures being processed at additional new boarding gates on the first floor. As part of its redevelopment plans, the airport is inviting the people of Yorkshire to contribute to the future development of their airport. In addition to a three-week consultation period, airport officials will be hosting a dropin event at the Britannia Hotel in Bramhope on Thursday 27th September and the proposals will now go through Leeds City Council’s planning process. David Laws, Chief Executive at Leeds Bradford Airport, said: “These really are exciting times for this airport and we are delighted to be able to now share our plans for phase two of our terminal redevelopment. “This new extension will transform the experience for both departing and arriving passengers whilst also adding a ‘sense of place and pride’ throughout the terminal, as we want to play our part in creating a great first impression for inbound visitors. “A thriving region needs a thriving airport and we hope the people of our great county will see these latest plans as a real statement of intent as we continue to strive to create an airport Yorkshire can be proud of. “Work continues to improve our route offering for both business and leisure services and we hope to have more exciting announcements in the near future as we look to open up Yorkshire to new global opportunities.” Cllr Susan Hinchcliffe, Chair of West Yorkshire Combined Authority, said: “The airport is already a major contributor to the city region economy and we welcome this significant new investment. “It will enhance the experience for existing and new passengers as new routes are introduced. In turn, these will open up additional markets for local businesses.” Issued: 14 PRESS RELEASE th September 2018 Sir Gary Verity DL, Chief Executive of Welcome to Yorkshire, said: “This is fantastic news for Yorkshire, bringing great benefits to both leisure and business travellers as well as the wider economy. David Laws and his team are to be applauded for the positive changes they are bringing to Leeds Bradford Airport. These latest plans are symptomatic of the scale of their vision and overall ambition to make the airport one the whole county can be proud of. Passengers will soon experience an airport truly fit for the 21st century.” Leader of Leeds City Council Councillor Judith Blake, said: “We very much welcome these plans for a terminal extension and improved facilities at Leeds Bradford Airport, and we look forward to seeing them come forward for full consideration by Leeds City Council’s plans panel. The airport is a key element of the Leeds and wider regional economy, and we are fully committed to supporting its growth.” Henri Murison, Director of Northern Powerhouse Partnership, said: “The Northern Powerhouse future relies on connectivity, whether it be in transport terms to key European export markets by flight to digital connectivity. This investment by Leeds Bradford Airport here in Yorkshire is a sign of their confidence and commitment to helping businesses here to grow and attracting inward investment. “At the same time, we see commitment from city leaders and the combined authority to improve the journey to the airport with a link planned on the Leeds to Harrogate rail line. This is why the airport will keep growing the number of destinations available to business and leisure travellers – transformed facilities and lounges already, more capacity and more choice on how to get here from across the region.”

LBA Arrivals.jpg

L
Long overdue and hopefully a catalyst to securing additional services and airlines going forward.

My first impressions "uninspiring", "carbuncle", "disfunctional", "dark & dingy" and "unimpressed".

The old ramp into the terminal used to be closed off sometimes for days in the winter when it was snowy and icey but the new managers wont be aware of that. If a ramp is absolutely necessary because of the land topography then it definately needs to be inside the building.

No mention of the number of carousels or size of the arrivals hall? No apparent natural light in the building? Another low ceiling making it feel claustrophobic?

I like the mention of the two storey pier to replace the existing walkway which will make a huge difference.

Sorry I can't be more positive about it at this stage.

At first sight this looks good to me, bigger than I thought. I cannot comment on "dark and dingy" "disfunctional" until interior drawings, floor plans etc are produced but I am impressed at this stage. Aviador - not sure what you mean by "the ramp". Whilst steps are shown on the picture I take it the main entrance will be from the existing building.

At first sight this looks good to me, bigger than I thought. I cannot comment on "dark and dingy" "disfunctional" until interior drawings, floor plans etc are produced but I am impressed at this stage. Aviador - not sure what you mean by "the ramp". Whilst steps are shown on the picture I take it the main entrance will be from the existing building.

Leeds Bradford Airport.

Hi there @rmac !

If you look at the top image you can clearly see the ramp where ALL passengers will need to egress from. Like I said previously, the old ramp used to be closed off, sometimes for days when it was icey and snowy. In the end the previous airport management closed the ramp off entirely for a multitude of reasons. The ramp is may main concern with this proposal,but overall we have to be please that something at least is happening and it is a step change from what we have been used to for so long.

Leeds bradford Airport

From above the scale of the development is impressive and you can see how they have made it future proof with a clear potential to extend on either side in the future.

Courteous of Leeds Bradford Airport

Courteous of Leeds Bradford Airport with additional work by @Aviador, Forums4airports.com (Click image to enlarge)

Just had a little bit of fun painting up what a future LBA could look like on the basis of the latest plans.
  1. The initial arrivals building
  2. New departure facility
  3. New arrival and departure pier (click image to view)
  4. Future arrivals extension and additional arrival and departure pier
The west end apron could be greatly improved with stands moving much further back giving significantly improved clearance from taxiway Alpha.

#LBAvision

Last edited:
@mode1 I agree 12m seems like a very low figure for the size of the new building. If it can be done so cheaply why has it taken so long for any company to carry the work out? Anyway, at least things appear to be moving this time thankfully.

finally some good news reg terminal expansion,and a whole new large terminal next to the existing one! something to finally look forward to!

Without having the benefit of seeing what the finished product will look like and how it functions, my only comment at this very early stage is that whatever we end up with will be a vast improvement on the current facilities which are cramped, dark and dungeon like and a very poor advertisment for Leeds and Yorkshire in general. No doubt there will be aspects which some folk may not like. Whatever, it will be better than what we have today. Crack on LBA and give it to us as soon as you are able.

It would need to be 3 stories high esp when you consider the height difference between the car park and the apron! how will they get around that?

With regard to the ramp mentioned above and it being closed off in the past, don't forget that back then there was very little legislation regarding access for people with disabilities. Now there most certainly is, so the design of the building inside and out must comply with the latest legislation and must provide the required access at all times. Just closing it off due to poor weather isn't an option other than in short term emergency situations - such as snow clearing or gritting. It is also commonplace now, when designing such buildings, for discussions to take place with organisations representing people with disabilities to ensure that nothing is overlooked.

With regard to ceiling heights, windows, natural light, number of carousels etc. I cannot see why there are such negative comments already when we have absolutely no clue about interior layout of the final design. LBA are clearly not going to invest in a new building that provides a larger arrivals area and then provide insufficient. It amazes me that when something like this is announced, there is an immediate tendency to take a glass half empty view. Mine remains half full!

Further to the above and today's meeting, here, as promised, is the information provided today with regard to the terminal. (The only item on the agenda today was the terminal extension, although one or two other bits of information came to light in an amongst discussions).

1. The funding for the terminal extension is agreed by AMP Capital and is in place. The proposed contractor is local and has experience of working in airport environments, although the contract is not yet finalised.

2. The proposed design of the terminal has taken into account the complaints of customers and eliminates them. It will be 3 storeys landside and 2 airside but the undercroft (ie; ground floor landside will NOT be for public use. It will measure some 5,500m2 in area and will be fully compliant with the latest Disability Discrimination Act Regulations. (I suggested that nevertheless, LBA and their design team might consider bringing on board a group representing people with disabilities to go through the proposals and offer comments - a suggestion that was well received).

3. LBA and the design team will be looking at sustainability options such as solar panels, rainwater storage etc. but need to take account of safety issues (eg: reflections caused by solar panels may be an issue).

4. Details provided show that ceiling heights in the building are considerable. The ramp from the building is also underneath a large canopy, so not fully exposed to the elements. They are also looking at the possibility of an alternative exit further across the terminal frontage.

5. The submission to Leeds City Planning will be made in November after the consultation on 27th of this month at the Bramhope Britannia Hotel. It is hoped that approval will be given in December or January. Assuming this is the case, construction will commence shortly afterwards (early 2019) with completion by Autumn 2019. Subsequent to this, the intention is then to commence the refurbishment and re-configuration of the existing terminal building in late 2019. This will provide a new larger security zone (where baggage reclaim is now). The existing management suite, Camden, Burger King and World Duty Free areas will all be impacted to create a new larger area. The World Duty Free will be enlarged.

6. Highlights of the new terminal are as follows:
A 250% increase in space available for border force/immigration
Additional 5 Immigration Desks, some of which will hopefully be E-gates.
3 double size baggage carousels, capable of handling wide body aircraft of the 300-400 pax size. This doubles the waiting area around the carousels compared to current.
Additional free seating areas
Additional retail and eating outlets
3 additional departure gates
3 additional arrivals gates
Immigration area and baggage reclaim area all on ground floor.
No cross-over of departing and arriving passengers within the terminal.
Allows dedicated lounge seating areas to be created to cater for wide body aircraft departures.
Allows capacity for expansion at LBA over future years and can be extended further if required.

It was also stated that additional aircraft stands will be constructed over the next 2 to 4 years once the terminal works are completed.

It was stated that the works to be undertaken, together with the plans for a Parkway Station, have resulted in a good level of interest from airlines at the recent Routes Conference in China.

Indirectly, the works are likely to attract wide body operations which in turn will enable freight to be brought through LBA - something that more or less stopped when PIA pulled out of the airport.

H

So the exhibition boards and consultation are live on the airport website.

Some initial observations:

1. It appears there is no waiting area in international Arrivals and that after customs you immediately exit to the doors. Seems odd theres no cafe or shop nor space for relatives to sit waiting. Also no car rental desks.

2. Upon exiting Arrivals you have to cross the road to get back to the buses etc. which are a short walk away. Wouldn't it be better to reverse the one way system for buses so they drop off outside departures then a second stop to pick up at arrivals.

3. Very indirect walking route from arrivals to mid stay. Couldn't some steps face towards mid stay from half way down the ramp?

4. No airbridges. I hope if they plan to attract wide body aircraft the new building is future proofed to easily add these on later.

5. It's ugly

Watson Batty Architects has been appointed by Leeds Bradford Airport (LBA) to design the new arrivals extension, departure pier and internal remodelling.

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/yorkshire/watson-batty-appointed-to-design-airport-extension

I also understand that a planning application is being submitted to Leeds City Council next week.

WATSON BATTY APPOINTED TO DESIGN AIRPORT EXTENSION
26 Sep 2018 Yorkshire Property
Watson_Batty_LBA.jpg

Watson Batty Architects has been appointed by Leeds Bradford Airport (LBA) to design the new arrivals extension, departure pier and internal remodelling.

Earlier this month (September 2018) the airport revealed plans for £12.5m extension of its terminal building.

This will include a transformed international arrivals process, including immigration, baggage reclaim and customs. The extension will also accommodate improved departure gates, seating areas and new retail and food and beverage outlets.

Once completed in late 2019, work will begin on re-modelling the existing terminal building to provide a new centralised security search area and a more intuitive departure lounge layout, with an expanded new retail offer. Work is scheduled for completion by summer 2020. A future phase will include the completion of the departure pier, replacing the current passenger walkway.

Watson Batty's appointment follows an ongoing brief to support extension works planned as part of the airports' Route to 2030' Strategic Development Plan.

Peter White, managing director at Watson Batty, said: "We are delighted to cement our partnership with Leeds Bradford Airport with our biggest project to date. We have worked closely with the team at LBA over the last six years, assisting with detailed collaboration and consultation, to support a series of enabling projects, both airside and landside. It is rewarding to know that our transport expertise is helping to build the future of a critical northern hub."

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock