Morton Air Services . They use to operate a Manchester to Sandown (Isle of Wight) service with a Heron if I remember correctly.

Laker Airways was a great thrill for me too. I was 10 years old and we were flying out to visit relatives in Philadelphia (we flew LGW - JFK and then got a train to Philadelphia).
A Laker B720 and DC-10-10 were both nose in at the end of the pier at LGW and both were boarding at the same time. It wasn't until we showed our boarding passes that we were directed to DC-10 G-AZZD 'Western Belle' (I even remeber the date - 12 April 1974. We returned 2 weeks later). The excitement was almost unbearable, especially when I was allowed a flightdeck visit. I also remember having a very delicious steak dinner on the flight.
The cabin and flight crew were all wonderful and the 7 hour flight seemed to pass in no time.
Happy memories.

Kevin

A resurrected thread but it's just as relevent today as it was back in 2010 when it was created. Cypriot carrier Cobalt Air is the most recent airline to add. More have no doubt slipped by without a mention.

I miss Dan Air, i liked all their liveries and had an interesting network, mainly ex LGW but they took over BAs LHR-INV which was unusual to see Dan Air at Heathrow, they improved that route which BA were doing their best to destroy.

When I worked in travel i distinctly remember making many reservations on their LGW-JER, which competed with BCAL, both with 1-11s. In my first job I also booked Jersey European from Shoreham to Jersey a route not available today.

My first flight ever was on a Dan Air Comet 4 LGW to PMI.

Another few interesting routes I did when I was a lad was from Lydd once to Ostend then Beauvais then Le Touquet. They were on Viscounts and Handley Page Heralds. On an airline called Janus Airways.

This is jogging my memory now....I flew Heathrow to Split and back with JAT, out on a Caravelle which ive always thought a beautiful looking aircraft, with fantastic triagular windows, and back on a 727-200, which was at the time the biggest plane i'd been on and thought it huge !

Miss Dan Air, also remember British Eagle who had a great red and black colour scheme and I well remember them operating a weekly one eleven service from Birmingham to Newquay of all places in the 1960s, they went bust.
Also well recall Laker we were actually booked to fly with them fro MAN TO MIA for our first transatlantic flight (DC10 ) in 1982 and then they went belly up also so we ended up with BA from Heathrow on a 747-100

Seen a lot of airlines come and go over the years.

Miss Dan Air, also remember British Eagle who had a great red and black colour scheme and I well remember them operating a weekly one eleven service from Birmingham to Newquay of all places in the 1960s, they went bust.
Also well recall Laker we were actually booked to fly with them fro MAN TO MIA for our first transatlantic flight (DC10 ) in 1982 and then they went belly up also so we ended up with BA from Heathrow on a 747-100

Seen a lot of airlines come and go over the years.

Dan Air had an amazing network in its day, I was actually hesitating about buying an old Timetable to reminisce over . When I was a young travel agent clients would often turn their noses up if their charter fight was Dan Air which was a pity I thought.

They did operate from Lydd Airport to Jersey and across the channel at one time and being Kent is my home county I have a soft spot for that airport.

Air UK is another lost airline with extensive domestic routes. As well as Manx Airlines who when I moved to the Northwest was a frequent site at Liverpool with SD360 APT and BAe 146.

And to add to this never ending list, Icelandic airline WOW has joined this morning as the airline ceased operations leaving thousands of passengers stranded.

I was just looking at the photo feed on the sites homepage and nearly every image featured an airline that's no longer around.

Flybe 1979 - 2020 :(

full

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock