I WAS also going to show another Timetable I have, from 1995 ...with flight starting in May 1995, flight 23 & 24 ... but I think it may be too much for the locals, I will just remember it fondly- ah those were the days,it was even rumoured to be the 3rd biggest international money earning route they had - at the time, back to 2019 the EK 380 has just gone overhead - so it’s not all bad news !
N

ah yes, May 26th 1995, was it a 'windy' arrival or departure? :LOL:

Compare emissions from your typical floating hotel, or is it holiday resort, and the emissions of a Widebody aircraft and I know where my money will get spent. The thought of sharing a boat with perhaps 5000 other people terrifies me and some of these vessels resemble floating cities,, imagine the waste generated on a voyage to nowhere fast!!

Humanity pollutes by nature thus whatever we do, we mess up. Those protesters that hit London recently left behind a considerable mess which cost money to clear up.

As for Duo, what happened to them?

Last edited:
The thought of sharing a boat with perhaps 5000 other people terrifies me and some of these vessels resemble floating cities,, imagine the waste generated on a voyage to nowhere fast!!
Cruise ships are vast and i have to say when i did one to the med with Royal Caribbean it never felt over crowded. One of the best holidays of my life that was.

The thought of sharing a boat with perhaps 5000 other people terrifies me and some of these vessels resemble floating cities,, imagine the waste generated on a voyage to nowhere fast!!
Cruise ships are vast and i have to say when i did one to the med with Royal Caribbean it never felt over crowded. One of the best holidays of my life that was.

I believe that they had the opportunity to become a British Airways franchise carrier but decided against it.
I had not heard that before. I always thought they came into existence after the Maersk franchise with BA ended and a number
of Maersk employees thought they saw an opportunity to go it alone without BA

I had not heard that before. I always thought they came into existence after the Maersk franchise with BA ended and a number
of Maersk employees thought they saw an opportunity to go it alone without BA
You are quite correct that Duo came into existence when the Maersk franchise with BA finished. This I believe however, was due to Maersk deciding to close it's BHX operation and not BA ending the franchise. Hence following the management buyout of the former Maersk operation, the franchise was offered to them.
I'm certain that I read this in the aviation press at the time and my guess is that it was in Flight International (although I can't confirm that).

Kevin

I came across this website regarding DUO -

Duo Airways (German Website)

It's in German and has some interesing photos showing DUO's history right back to Birmingham Executive.
I've put the relevent section through Google Translate and post the results below (it's a translation program and therefore spelling/syntax errors do creep in).

Duo Airways
In February 2003, Maersk Air UK was put up for sale by the Danish parent company. In April, the airline then went to the management and the employees. The routes from Birmingham to Belfast and Amsterdam were discontinued a little later. Following the management buy-out, the airline was renamed Duo Airways in May. The route network included at this time u.a. Berlin, Bordeaux, Copenhagen, Geneva, Gothenburg, Lyon, Milan, Nice, Stockholm, Stuttgart, Toulouse, Turin, Venice and Vienna. The fleet consisted of five CRJ700 with 68 seats and three CRJ200 with 48 seats. The airline had 300 employees and its own maintenance center.
The new ownership structure was accompanied by an entrepreneurial realignment. The British Airways franchise was seen by many as a restriction and the previous restriction on the Birmingham site also required a review. At the end of the summer timetable, the franchise agreement was terminated with BA. From 1 November they operated independently as Duo Airways. The second location adjacent to Birmingham was Edinburgh, from where Duo Airways launched four new routes to Geneva, Milan (daily), Zurich and Oslo (both 6x / W) thanks to start-up funding from the Scottish Executive.
British Airways then dispatched its British Airways subsidiary, Citiexpress, to fly in competition with ERJ-145 from Birmingham to Milan-Malpensa and Stuttgart. Duo then shook hands with these compounds. In Birmingham there were some restructurings, new goals for November 1 were Cologne / Bonn (2x weekly), Helsinki (daily) and Oslo-Gardemoen (5x weekly) with CRJ200 from Birmingham. Also abandoned were Bordeaux, Toulouse, Turin and Venice. In the weaker winter, some "thinner" routes suffered enormous load drops. But for the summer season of 2004, passenger numbers picked up again - especially Birmingham - Berlin TXL.

On March 28, 2004 Duo wanted to connect their two legs Birmingham and Edinburgh also with each other - but did not get the appropriate permit. For the summer timetable 2004 appeared as new routes Edinburgh - Munich (6x weekly) and Edinburgh - Nice (weekly). Birmingham - Gothenburg was taken out of the plan. Also Bordeaux should be served from May 1 three times a week with CRJ200 from Birmingham. The third base was London Luton. From here you wanted to fly to destinations that were not served by the budget airlines so far. In the spring of 2004, there were also rumors that Duo Airways would replace their CRJ200 fleet with Saab 2000 in the coming months. Some CRJ200 were already repelled - for example, In April 2004, the Danish Cimber Air a machine.
By June 1, 2004, the route network was to grow by 20%, by serving Shannon and Pisa from Birmingham as well as Shannon and Bordeaux from Edinburgh as new destinations.

cessation
However, on 1 May 2004 at 0.01 o'clock Duo had to stop the operation, because the insurance for the aircraft were no longer covered. Although the staff had a slight premonition the night before, the decommissioning only came out of the media. The fleet, consisting of eight machines, was put on the chain in Birmingham; a CRJ700 was in Edinburgh; 1 CRJ200 was in Ljubljana for maintenance. A bankruptcy trustee was appointed - the passengers who had already booked and paid had no chance: Duo was not registered with ATOL (Air Travel Organizers Licensing).
After the shocking news, there was much talk in the media landscape about the "end of the low-cost boom". However, Duo was far from a budget or low-cost airline and offered a full-service product on all routes. They wanted to offer a business-class product at an economy rate and responded to business customer needs by connecting key European cities. The jets had leather seats and a generous seat spacing. On all flights a full meal and a matching drink were served. For an extra charge you could enjoy more leg room (at the emergency exit).
There were two classes: Advantage and Privilege - the latter could use the lounges and carry more luggage. The prices were staggered in Privilege (free rebookable), Advantage (rebookable for a fee, no return) and Websaver (not changeable, no return - but very cheap).
It is strange: with announcement of route extensions and attractive passenger numbers Duo had to declare bankruptcy. The airline was given no opportunity to take the profitable summer.
There was speculation that competitors should have taken Duo in the pliers - especially easyJet with their new hub in Berlin SXF. But also British Airways announced in the summer of 2004 immediately new route from Birmingham, which partly coincided with those of the Duo Airways. British Airways began on 5 May with flights on the duo routes from Birmingham to Lyon (twice a day), Vienna (daily) and Nice. The Slovenian Adria Airways was interested in the CRJ200.

The prospect of more passengers calls for more airlines, which increases competition. The lowcoster boom makes it difficult for a full-service carrier to deliver its product to the customer. From a financial perspective, the first year is always the hardest. Another six months and Duo Airways might have been successful.

Kevin

I do remember..... or think it was when Maersk/ Birmingham European were franchises for BA, flights that they operated were not allowed to operate aircraft with more seats than the BA (mainline) planes, so had to get rid of the 737 when BA used RJ 100 ???

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock