Airplane

Aug 31, 2015
Yorkshire Airport:
Anyone know why jet2 are the only airline to have there name blocked/blurred out on everything on tonight’s documentary?

I was going to ask the same - I have a friend who works for ITV so have tasked him with it - he thought it strange especially as they advertise with ITV so much!

I wonder if they thought it may show them in a bad light somehow and have a negative effect on their brand?

..and after watching the show last night I can understand why. They gave the distinct impression that 1 guy runs the whole show..slot allocation...sweeping the apron with a wreck of a road sweeper that wasted half a reservoir while being refilled... removing FOD from a crumbling runway...and where exactly in a DH8 maintenance manual does it say 'if in doubt give it a clout'? Comedic effort in fixing the arrivals door as well with a typical 'give it a good kicking and it will work' attitude. Razzed up punters off to Ibiza...no probs with that...just try Manny at 5am on a Saturday morning. The only good point was that it did show a wide variety of aircraft and operators.

I thought the programme was puerile drivel! Presented the airport as parochial and amateurish. I began to wonder if it was another David Williams parody in which case it would have been funny. Having pointed out that in2017 LBA had the best punctuality record in the U.K. after LHR the programme focussed on a single flight which was delayed for 4-5 hours and how that would ruin this record. A really contrived story line. May be Jet 2 made the right decision not to get involved.

...and in next weeks episode, 2 dodgy geezers in a 3 wheel Robin Reliant van pop off to Murgy's to get fish and chips so that Captain Boycotts passengers can enjoy the full Alan Bennett experience.

The show was going fine until the backing music featuring trumpets came out providing a real village idiot experience.

Pat the hurmit finally came out of her office for the first time in 20 years. As for Jamie's part, the airside scene could have been compiled so much better.

As for emerging characters, not too sure just yet. LBA has had some right character's over the years, a number of them are still there as far as I know. Playing safe with airport duty and Swissport managers has dumbed down the programme from what it could've been.

The footage, the overhead shoots looked good but very few apron shots showing the airport looking busy. The place really did look pirched on a hilltop. I thought the footage inside the terminal was good and the facilities looked good.

Overall 3* for production effort.

Did anyone else notice the Dash 8 with the dodgy door - by the time it had been fixed, pushed back and took off it was actually 3 separate Dash 8's - the only redeeming feature was that they were all the purple colour scheme!!

These types of programmes normally concentrate on things that go wrong (routine makes for boring TV.) With Jet2 being by far the largest operator and by definition more things to show going pear shaped perhaps they thought it would be bad for their image. Can’t say I blame them.

Just watched the programme for the second time and found it more entertaining than the first. Also having paid more attention to the Jet2 comments, I really don't think they were blotted out. The scenes where Jet2 are visible the camera is just focused on other things.

...and in next weeks episode, 2 dodgy geezers in a 3 wheel Robin Reliant van pop off to Murgy's to get fish and chips so that Captain Boycotts passengers can enjoy the full Alan Bennett experience.

Not forgetting the mushy peas. SPLURGE!

I haven't even watched this yet...……….and having read most of the above, not sure I want to now!
You must watch it... warts and all.

Having had longer to digest it, I think it was good light hearted family entertainment. I don't know what everybody was expecting to be honest.
Delayed flight, boozing passengers and a bit of drama. It does everything you would expect from this type of programme.

I haven't watched it either but shall do when I have time. Bearing in mind this is just the first episode, I'll keep an open mind.

Well I have watched it now - twice - and apart from some of the attempted humour, I thought it was OK and very much what you would expect really. Given it is going out nationally it was always going to have that 'Yorkshire feel' to it, similar to how they portrayed the Yorkshire Moors Railway in that programme - which has just completed its 2nd season. Like some others I noticed the fact that the Flybe Dash 8 with the door problem was actually 3 different machines - and then narrator also stated it had recently departed to Southampton, which clear it hadn't as that is a route operated by Eastern. All in all though I don't think it painted the airport in a bad light so I am surprised at how negative some of the comments have been.

I agree the production style is akin to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway series, which I quite like. Not sure this format is necessarily the right fit for an airport though.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock