Must admit it's done Yorkshire proud. Not that bothered about the cycling, most are a bunch of doping cheats. Prefer engines. Well done Lewis today!!

Well it's all over for the Yorkshire stages of the Tour de France. I don't know how other people feel about it but for me it's been a truly memorable occasion. The way the public have got behind the event has been phenomenal with the party like atmosphere.

I watched some of the live tv coverage today from 'down south' and the scenery the race passed through was spectacular and gorgeous. The size of the crowds was mind boggling.

It was the sort of publicity that a tourist board could never afford to buy and will surely pay huge dividends in the form of leisure visitors from far and wide in the years to come.

Whoever in Yorkshire was responsible for getting the this event deserves a massive 'well done'.

That would be Gary Verity of 'Welcome to Yorkshire'. He undoubtedly made it happen and with a worldwide audience stretching into billions, it is sure to impact on tourism going forward into the future. The scenery from the air was stunning, especially on day 1 yesterday. Sad that they chose some inopportune moments to cut away for adverts. We had been waiting all that time to see the riders go down the hill from Buttertubs, and we missed it completely due to adverts coming just as they cleared the summit. :sad:

Going off topic aviation wise.

But for me it was more interesting watching them get up the hill at buttertubs, as to be fair the riders are working so harder and using up so much of there energy as they look to gain points on the climb because afteral some are looking to be crowned "king of the mountains".

But I also understand your disappointment of the down hill section not been shown. I myself was disappointed that when they passed through Pool village ITV went to an advert so it didn't get shown.
I saw them in Leeds City Centre as I was watching down on Eastgate yesterday morning. But was even more looky to be in Harrogate to be able to witness the sprit finish. I was stood at the final 200m mark which was where Mark Cavendish crashed. He may not have won but I can say he did get the biggest round off aplouse when he got back on his bike and rode to end in pain probably knowing his tour was over..

After such a weekend, I feel so proud to say I'm from Yorkshire.

i went to watch the race at skipton on saturday and haworth on sunday. i must admit that im not into this type of sport, but i will say that with all the hype i really enjoyed the whole weekend, watching it live and on tv later. The atmosphere was brilliant and the crowds from all over the uk as well as yorkshire did it proud. The only gripe was the constant adverts being shown on the tv coverage. personally the bbc would have been better showing this. They dont go for adverts during the football coverage only at half time and thats 45 mins. Come on ITV, you could have done better and gone for breaks during times when not going through interesting stages.

I have to say that probably for the first time in living history, Leeds City station made Waterloo look like Woodlesford!! I have never seen such a crush of people trying to get to Harrogate. The biggest laugh was seeing a bunch of Aussies try to get a Mexican Wave going down the 1500 strong queue for the Harrogate trains round the car park without success. A long long time since I have seen so many loco-hauled trains in Leeds instead of all that plastic rubbish we usually have to put up with.

I also managed to see the Global Express come in (reg anyone??) at 16:10 just after emerging from Bramhope tunnel behind a DRS 47, which was a bonus.

Hi Bigman !
I have been out and about most of the weekend so missed some movements. The only Global I have seen over this weekend at Lbia was a Netjets unit CS-GLB was the registration I believe.

Watched the start on the Headrow, next to a large group from Oslo who said they'd flown in via Man with SAS.

To be fair to tv, once the point scores for the Green jersey have been awarded, sensible to go to adverts as the peleton reformes and no main action. Over a 6 hour race the moment after the sprints or hill climb are times to put the kettle on.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but we've waited long enough.
Its just been announced that Leeds/Bradford Airport has become the official Airport partner for both the 2019 & 2020 editions of the "Tour de Yorkshire" Cycle race.

Source : https://letour.yorkshire.com/the-la...es-official-airport-of-the-tour-de-yorkshire/

Ps: I'm not sure if this deal also covers the 2019 World Road Cycling Championships, which is being hosted by Harrogate in September as well.

Last edited:
Could be some intresting movements at LBA later this month as Yorkshire is host to the 2019 UCI World Cycling Championship between September 21st & 28th.
All race routes finish in Harrogate, races starts are being held in Bradford, Leeds, Doncaster, Beverly, Ripon, Richmond and Northallerton.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock