I am sure that people are far more likely to register a complaint than to give their support, its just human nature. I wonder if there's an algorithm or similar to account for this, we might find that a vote 'for' is worth many more than a vote against.
The LBA comments were roughly 66% against and 33% in favour, but the norm for airport planning applications is that normally a far greater percentage is opposed. Usually around 90% as I understand it. This application has therefore, a lot more support than is normal. Ultimately though, there are several million people in this area and in total, less than 5000 said anything at all. A tiny percentage. In my view, no comment should count as 'no objection.'. We might get something done for once!

I have previously said that the fact that only 5000 commented suggests the majority of the catchment is not sufficiently aggrieved to complain. I trust LCC will recognise this fact??
I wish I shared your confidence, but Plans Panel members have referred to the fact that two thirds of people are opposed. Clearly nonsense, but it's a good indication of what they will vote for.

I personally believe that the 5000 comments are not going to be a massively influential factor in their decision. There are more important factors at play. LCC panel members have already approved expansion to 7m pax pa. No rational individual would/should oppose a more environmentally friendly facility to facilitate that uplift to the 7m. It would be complete nonsense to reject the new terminal proposal on environmental grounds as they would effectively be shooting themselves in the foot.

5000 comments has got too get them thinking more serious about the plans,and it might make planners to look at it differently. As with most planning applications submitted they are not put in for the love of it.

The ratio of formal objections to formal support sent to a local authority planning portal doesn't necessarily signify anything in terms of a planning committee's ultimate decision.

In 2010 Bristol Airport submitted a major expansion planning application to its local authority (the small North Somerset unitary authority) where formal objections outnumbered formal support by between 3 and 4:1. The then Conservative-dominated council approved the application after which the secretary of state declined to intervene and subsequent legal challenges by opponents failed.

A decade later and the same airport submitted another major planning application to the same local authority. The 11,000 formal submissions were split in approximately the same ratio as the earlier application, again with objectors dominant. This time the local authority was of a different political colour, principally Greens, Lib-Dems and Independents of whom several had been elected the previous year on an anti-airport 'ticket'. Unsurprisingly they rejected the application which is now subject of an appeal.

I agree, I think there's general apathy amongst the public made worse due to the whole covid situation. People, by nature, prefer to read bad news and are far more likely to complain than compliment.

And most of this apathetic public would probably happily, or probably already even do, use their local airport. Surely they would like even nicer facilities that are environmentally friendly. Not to mention the good of the economy in these challenging times

I understand that comments on the application had to be submitted to Leeds City Council by 4th Feb. - was the Petition submitted in time?

I understand that comments on the application had to be submitted to Leeds City Council by 4th Feb. - was the Petition submitted in time?
That refers to comments through the Planning Portal. We will be emailing it directly to specific Councillors in the next day or two, who are on the Plans Panel. That has always been the intention - to directly target the decision makers.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock