• Portugal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spain

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
First up,congratulations England on a job well done.The team is doing the nation proud,and for the most part,Gareths’ team selections and subs have worked a treat.However more about that in a second.

My one real moan,is as some have already pointed out,Englands’ penalty does look soft,however so to was the award of the Denmark free kick that led to their goal.The incident later looked more of a pen that the one that was given,but that was quickly turned away and play continued.
My gripe is as usual,VAR was not allowed to do it’s job properly,more to the point,the ref. was not allowed to do his job.He should have been instructed to go and have a look at all 3 incidents,it may have added time to proceedings,but I think we may well have got the correct decision.
I for one am not going to say I feel sorry for the Danes,take the Christian Eriksen factor out of it,and I felt that they wanted a draw and penalty shootout.
I was not as impressed by them as some others.In fact they were fortunate to get through to the knockout stages.As the tournament has gone on for them,their never say die attitude actually changed to a more cynical side.Breaking up play in a match is accepted,but constant fouling and then whinging and whining afterwards was not something you have come to expect from a Scandinavian team in recent years.
A shame really as they probably deserved something,if only for Eriksons’s sake.
It is also about time England had some fortune with refereeing decisions.Too many times in the past we have had decisions go against us that possibly should or could have gone the other way.

Now the substitutions.
I get why Gareth took an attacking player off when England went ahead.Close it down,tighten it up and see the game out.I get that.
What I don’t get,is why Grealish was subbed,as a sub himself.
I hear people crying ‘bias’,as I am a Villa fan,but hear me out.
Any one of the attacking players could have been subbed.In fact if you look at it logically,surely taking Sterling off would have been the sensible option.
Why?
Easy,Sterling will be needed to make an impact against Italy.Playing the full 120 minutes last night means he may not be as fresh,or worst,may not last 90 minutes on Sunday.
Even Kane could have been taken off for the same reason.
Instead now,we have first choice attackers playing from the start,after a long and gruelling 120 minutes.
This will be against a well organised and frankly very dangerous looking Italian side,who will be up for the match on Sunday.
This is a minor irritation for me,because I think Gareth has proved everyone wrong in his choices thus far.I just hope that it doesn’t prove to be his undoing on Sunday.
Southgate may indeed surprise us one more time,only he will know what he has up his sleeve for Sunday.

I'm not a huge football follower but last nights match was superb.

Appologies to the thread starter for missing the poll. I would've chosen England obviously

England are now under discerplinery investigation by UEFA for someone (idiot) shining a laser goalkeeper.

Now the substitutions.
I get why Gareth took an attacking player off when England went ahead.Close it down,tighten it up and see the game out.I get that.
What I don’t get,is why Grealish was subbed,as a sub himself.
I hear people crying ‘bias’,as I am a Villa fan,but hear me out.
Any one of the attacking players could have been subbed.In fact if you look at it logically,surely taking Sterling off would have been the sensible option.
Why?
Easy,Sterling will be needed to make an impact against Italy.Playing the full 120 minutes last night means he may not be as fresh,or worst,may not last 90 minutes on Sunday.
Even Kane could have been taken off for the same reason.
Instead now,we have first choice attackers playing from the start,after a long and gruelling 120 minutes.
This will be against a well organised and frankly very dangerous looking Italian side,who will be up for the match on Sunday.
This is a minor irritation for me,because I think Gareth has proved everyone wrong in his choices thus far.I just hope that it doesn’t prove to be his undoing on Sunday.
Southgate may indeed surprise us one more time,only he will know what he has up his sleeve for Sunday.
I understand the points you make although Southgate would no doubt say that the result proved him right last night. We shall have to wait and see whether Sterling and Kane do suffer at some point in the final because they were kept on the pitch for the full 120 minutes plus added-on time.

I presume that Sterling was kept on the pitch to provide a speedy outlet in a breakaway with Denmark anticipated to push forward for an equaliser, and Kane is the leader and a vastly experienced campaigner.

Italy too played extra time in their match of course but they will have an extra 24 hours in which to recover.
I'm still floating around near the ceiling. Watching extra time was an ordeal and I found myself looking at the clock every 30 seconds or so. When the final whistle blew, I couldn't believe the power of the emotion that hit me (I was alive in 1966, but only two and a half years old - although my Dad said that I was sat infront of the B&W TV during the game).
I was working on the Saturday afternoon in July 1966 that saw England win the World Cup, although I did find a way of watching most of the game including the extra time.

UK television was restricted to three channels then (BBC 1 and 2 - the latter had only began in 1964 - plus ITV) and there were no mass communication systems that we see today. Nevertheless, England's progression to the final did attract huge interest around the country and the win provoked huge outpourings of emotion. Not all Britons were pleased though. Dennis Law always says he had a lousy round of golf that afternoon and when he heard that England had won it made for one of the worst days of his life. I was never sure if he really meant that or whether he thought that as a Scot it was an attitude that people expected him to take.

I think though that the news media have gone completely overboard with their coverage of the win, and the widespread celebrations are wildly out of proportion with what so far has been achieved. In fact, I wonder whether there is a subconscious belief that this might be as good as it gets and that there might not be much to celebrate late on Sunday evening, so we'll let our hair down now.......just in case.

I concur with Brummiegem regarding the substitution. It felt wrong at the time but I was too caught up in the emotions and suspense to think about it.

Can’t fault Southgates defensive organisation but I have been very frustrated by how little game time our back up strikers and wingers (Grealish, Sancho, Calvert Lewin) have had over the course of the tournament. By contrast Italy rotated their front line during the group stage and subbed their first choice front three during the Spain game. Does Mancini trust his back up attackers more?

Mr Local Yokel,I do get that point regarding Sterling.
However,did he or any other player use their pace and actually attack Denmark meaningfully after that substitution.They did break forward on a number of occasions but headed toward the corner flag.
Okay,maintaining posession and keeping the Danes away from our goal was the aim.
So question is,do you therefore need someone with pace to do that.
Grealish for instance may not have blistering pace,but he holds the ball up,and crucially wins fouls.Whether anyone thinks he ‘goes over easily’,is neither here or there.He wins fouls.
Therefore,the opposition are wasting their own time every time they foul him.

You have also also made another very important point.Italy will have had an extra 24 hours to recover.
My biggest concern is during the final on Sunday,some of England’s most important players could tire at a crucial stage of the game.Southgate may then decide to make changes at that time.
Therefore it will mean having more less experienced players on the pitch at a time when they could be trying to see the game out,or,trying to get back into the game.
Either way,as well as Gareth has done up to now,and he has been brilliant in all honesty.I fear England might fall short of what is needed to win.
I really hope that I am proved wrong,especially as modern training and fitness methods do seem to get the best out of players,even during the long English season.

COME ON ENGLAND
IT’S COMING HOME.

Mr Local Yokel,I do get that point regarding Sterling.
However,did he or any other player use their pace and actually attack Denmark meaningfully after that substitution.They did break forward on a number of occasions but headed toward the corner flag.
Okay,maintaining posession and keeping the Danes away from our goal was the aim.
So question is,do you therefore need someone with pace to do that.
Grealish for instance may not have blistering pace,but he holds the ball up,and crucially wins fouls.Whether anyone thinks he ‘goes over easily’,is neither here or there.He wins fouls.
Therefore,the opposition are wasting their own time every time they foul him.
In the event thy didn't - perhaps didn't need to because Denmark appeared to tire so much that for a four-minute spell towards the end of extra time, when the side one goal down usually throws everything into attack, England retained possession with a wonderful display of 'keep ball', although right at the end Sterling did burst through on goal only to be thwarted by a fine save from Schmeichel that sent the ball for a corner and ate up the additional minute of the second half of extra time.

Pace might have been thought a good option in normal extra time situations when defending a slender lead. I don't know. I'm merely suggesting what might have been Southgate's thinking. I didn't listen to any post-match interviews or pundits' comments. Do you know if Southgate was asked about his substitutions in extra time or whether any of the 'experts' in the studio raised the issue?

I decided not to listen to the after match forensics.
From what I can gather,there was a mix of reactions,which I guess you would expect.You cannot please everyone all of the time.
However the majority seemed to agree that Gareth did the right things at the right times.
Using hindsight,it is difficult to disagree.

Let’s hope that all the correct decisions are made on Sunday.

A slight diversion of I may, Gareth Southgate cut his international teeth with the 'kid's and was promoted to the senior team following the failed experiment with Capello et al, the result is where we are today. I personally find watching England sleep inducing but as others have said, he gets the results and for that I thank him!

It appears that most of Europe,and indeed the European Union has a severe case of sour grapes folks.

The Italian media are claiming that the award of the penalty to England against Denmark was a ''return of favour'', for Boris Johnsons' role in stopping the ESL.

Worst still,Spanish TV show 'El Chiringuito' discussed a shared joke''apparently'',between Eden Hazard and Kurt Zouma,both formerly of Chelsea,accusing UEFA of organising the Champions League final to be between 2 English clubs.
The host ''Josep Pedrerol'',then extended this by saying re Euro 2020,''For me,this has been the most shameful competition that we have covered.It has been pathetic.
''We have seen matches in cities that aren't even in Europe in any sense.We have a final that was prepared for a country that left the EU.''

These guys need a Geography lesson,and quickly.The UK has left the EU,but unfortunately for them is still in Europe.
However as far as EUFA is concerned ,they have included club and national teams from Ukraine and even Israel into it's competitions,and they are most definately not in Europe.

It appears that whatever the UK or England do or try to do,there are some who will never like or agree to it.
And you guys wonder my i am totally against British tourists going to EU destinations,As i said previously in another post,it is your money they want ,not necessarily you or me.

If you want to see this story in it's entire form then it is on the 'ONE FOOTBALL' site online.Some who follow football may know this site.It is one of the better pure football sites on the internet.

I am just waiting for the next country to seek an exit from EU and we shall see how easy it is for them. The super state project is in turmoil because UK chose to leave despite attempts to make difficulties. Now it seems they are trying to spoil it through the sports media as Brummiegem has described.

The best response is to win the competition.

A slight diversion of I may, Gareth Southgate cut his international teeth with the 'kid's and was promoted to the senior team following the failed experiment with Capello et al, the result is where we are today. I personally find watching England sleep inducing but as others have said, he gets the results and for that I thank him!

England didn't provide great entertainment in the group stages but they managed their progress and got the job done. That was partly because their opponents would have a found a draw in each of the matches a success (as Scotland did) and England were often ponderous in trying to break them down. Since then I've found them to be an effective and often entertaining team in (for different reasons) entertaining matches.

The Germany game was an edge of the seat affair simply because it was Germany, so often England's bete noire on the football pitch. The win over Ukraine was extremely impressive against a team that likes to defend in depth and with four goals I'm surprised that anyone found that boring. The first half against Denmark was a super game to my eyes with both teams having the upper hand at various times in the half, but Denmark began to fade as the second half wore on and were desperately playing for the penalty shoot-out lottery throughout extra time. I've mentioned it before but the way that England retained possession for about four minutes towards the end of extra time with high-class, slick passing would have had people drooling had someone like Brazil done it. It's true that Denmark were out on their feet by then but that was because England had run them ragged.

We all see football matches in a different light which is one of the joys of following the game.

It appears that most of Europe,and indeed the European Union has a severe case of sour grapes folks.

The Italian media are claiming that the award of the penalty to England against Denmark was a ''return of favour'', for Boris Johnsons' role in stopping the ESL.

Worst still,Spanish TV show 'El Chiringuito' discussed a shared joke''apparently'',between Eden Hazard and Kurt Zouma,both formerly of Chelsea,accusing UEFA of organising the Champions League final to be between 2 English clubs.
The host ''Josep Pedrerol'',then extended this by saying re Euro 2020,''For me,this has been the most shameful competition that we have covered.It has been pathetic.
''We have seen matches in cities that aren't even in Europe in any sense.We have a final that was prepared for a country that left the EU.''

These guys need a Geography lesson,and quickly.The UK has left the EU,but unfortunately for them is still in Europe.
However as far as EUFA is concerned ,they have included club and national teams from Ukraine and even Israel into it's competitions,and they are most definately not in Europe.

It appears that whatever the UK or England do or try to do,there are some who will never like or agree to it.
And you guys wonder my i am totally against British tourists going to EU destinations,As i said previously in another post,it is your money they want ,not necessarily you or me.

If you want to see this story in it's entire form then it is on the 'ONE FOOTBALL' site online.Some who follow football may know this site.It is one of the better pure football sites on the internet.
And what did the Italian media say about the soft free kick on the edge of the penalty area from which Denmark scored, or about the trip on Kane in the penalty area that was more of a penalty than the one subsequently awarded, and to add insult to injury Kane was the one penalised. If the ref had been 'got at' as the Italian media seem to be claiming, something I would refute entirely based on the ref's performance in the game which I thought even-handed and correct even if the extra time penalty was/is controversial, he would have awarded a penalty then.......this was before the one he did award.

As for the Spanish tv man Pedrero or whatever his name is, does he believe that to be a member of UEFA a country also has to be a member of the EU? Or does he think that in future only EU countries can stage the Finals.

The best way to answer all this xenophobic bleating is to beat Italy on Sunday..........easier said than done but it's certainly not impossible.

Addendum

JENNY got in ahead of me in suggesting the best way to answer the criticism from abroad.

Thing is ladies and gentlemen,UEFA caused their own problems years ago by having vast swathes of the Northern Hemisphere sign up to their competitions.
As far south and east as Israel,through Azerbaijan,Turkey,Ukraine and Russia and as far west a Iceland and the Faroe Islands.All these countries took part in the Euros qualifiers as well as UEFA club tournaments.None of them are in the EU,fact.
There is the first problem.
Second problem,which was also mentioned as an aside,was the fact that Wembley would host many games including the semis' and final itself.
Problem here is that all nations competing had to agree the locations used and the format of the tournament.Please be advised in the ''had to agree part''.Of course when all this was agreed ,no one had a clue that England of all countries would get to the final.Only now is it becoming a major issue.
Ordinarily one country would host the tournament,or maybe two would jointly host it.However there have been occasions when a home country has not only hosted a final ,but also gone on to win it.Nobody has complained previously.
It just shows now how much England or indeed the UK is hated by many in Europe and also further afield.
It would really make me happy if England did win it for this reason.

As Corporal Jones would say,''they don't like it up 'em''.

Hated so much by Europe that they want our tourist Pounds if not our beef or sheep meat, or our splendid cheese. It is a wonder that anyone will bother turning up to the final in London!

We win on Sunday, the rules may be changed as to allocation of places in the club competitions! Impetuosity is the hallmark of Europe, so emotional!

Indeed JENNYJET.
For those with longer memories,you may recall a certain PM by the name of Margaret Thatcher.
Mrs Thatcher became one of the most hated,yet most respected English politicians/leaders in history.
Why?
Well she stood up for what she believed in,and also stood up to the Euro bullies.She negotiated a rebate on money the UK paid into the EEC\EU,something the EU leaders still seethe about.
I have always believed that sport and politics should be kept separate.However,invariably the two have become inseperable in some circumstances.
It seems that while most of the anger and irate comments are limited to mainly media outlets,i believe it is only a matter of time before something is said from a higher source.
I am waiting for President Macron to advise a ban on English clubs from playing in Europe next season,, because they don't buy enough Brie or Camambert cheese.
It sounds petty,but that is exactly how the Europeans are behaving now towards England.

I see there is a growing demand for a bank holiday on Monday if England win. I presume that would only apply to England as I can't imagine many in Wales or Scotland celebrating an England win even though they might like the idea of an extra bank holiday.

In fact the idea is far-fetched in practicalities alone. How could the government suddenly decide on an extra bank holiday, still less if they had to wait until late on Sunday evening before doing so? It's also presumptuous. Far better - and it seems that some companies are minded to do this - to allow workers some latitude on Monday morning.

Why though is the game kicking off at 8pm which is 9pm across much of Europe? When I saw that the final would be on a Sunday I assumed it would be kicking off around 2pm or perhaps 4 pm. I suppose it's to satisfy the television people who seem to have control of kick-off times in domestic football in this country, with the FA Cup Final now beginning at 5pm (or is it 5.15pm?) after well over a hundred years of beginning at 3pm or thereabouts. It was certainly 3pm during the second half of the last century and at the beginning of this one.

Any chance of a Public Holiday is slim, this being required in Statute or Royal Proclamation and time is required to set things in motion.

As things stand, an existing holiday will be redesignated or moved in the Calendar but this is usually done in advance as with the Jubilee forthcoming. Besides, what if a holiday was created but Italy won it?

Any chance of a Public Holiday is slim, this being required in Statute or Royal Proclamation and time is required to set things in motion.

As things stand, an existing holiday will be redesignated or moved in the Calendar but this is usually done in advance as with the Jubilee forthcoming. Besides, what if a holiday was created but Italy won it?
Absolutely right. If the government waited until the end of the match to see who had won before creating a bank holiday it would lead to all sorts of complications. The PM has already said it won't happen.

I think the kick off time is probably because in Europe they play later in the evening and so far as the suggested bank holiday completely nuts to be generous.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock