Etihad Airways

Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
I have to say, being fair, that my experience of the 777 has been good so far, with Qatar being the best. Have flown Etihad, Emirates and Qatar 777's. Having said that, compared to the Middle East, and Far East carriers, Western carriers have an inferior product and have a LOT of catching up to do.
I've not used the ME3 yet and most of my experience has been with Delta and KLM which i find have a decent product but from what i've seen of the ME3 products i don't think the Western airlines will catch up and i'm not sure they are bothered about it either as most of them seem to be making a lot of profit!

Advertisement

EGCC_MAN

Premium Member+
Subscriber
Feb 2, 2016
Etihad's problems have not been caused by the MAN-AUH route. Essentially, they adopted the strategy which brought down Swissair: taking stakes in failing and lame-duck carriers believing that they had the wherewithal to turn them around. The result was huge losses. Perhaps some of their current network does require pruning, but it is their calamitous acquisition strategy which has precipitated the current situation.

RhysTheBeast

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2018
Manchester
That’s all I ever hear about the Dreamliner. Unless you are up front it’s a pain in the preverbial down the back!
I have to say, I have travelled on a Qatar 788, and the seats were really comfortable on that aircraft. One has to wonder if it was the same seating manufacturer that outfitted that aircraft.

gonetech

Jun 16, 2014
Dreamliner issues for me have been due to lightweight floor boards (Similar to Airbus types) When sat on an aisle seat trying to nod off and crew are pounding up and down the seat kind off rocks sharply.

Also windows are poor for photography although large the internal plastic screen doesn't lend itself to sharp photos. Ok for phone photo I guess.

Give me a DC10 any day... With Dreamliner IFE!

Philbky

Apr 4, 2017
Lixnaw, Eire
I've flown LHR-LAX and HKG -LHR on Virgin 787-9 and HNL -AKL on ANZ 787-9. Compared to any aircraft I've flown on long haul over the last 55 years, (B707, B720, B747-100, 200, 400, B777-200, 300, DC10-30, A300, A330-200, 300 and A380), all in economy, the 787 wins hands down. The pressurisation/air conditioning certainly reduces fatigue, the windows are large and, even if the crew insist on darkening them in daylight, you can still see through them enabling you to keep awake when you need to keep awake to maintain circadian rhythm. The seats on both airlines were excellent on 11, 9 and 13 hour sectors respectively. Will be flying to New Zealand and back on Cathay A350s in a few months but the comparison will be skewed as I will be in Premium Economy.

nick hall

Feb 13, 2017
Oldham
I've flown LHR-LAX and HKG -LHR on Virgin 787-9 and HNL -AKL on ANZ 787-9. Compared to any aircraft I've flown on long haul over the last 55 years, (B707, B720, B747-100, 200, 400, B777-200, 300, DC10-30, A300, A330-200, 300 and A380), all in economy, the 787 wins hands down. The pressurisation/air conditioning certainly reduces fatigue, the windows are large and, even if the crew insist on darkening them in daylight, you can still see through them enabling you to keep awake when you need to keep awake to maintain circadian rhythm. The seats on both airlines were excellent on 11, 9 and 13 hour sectors respectively. Will be flying to New Zealand and back on Cathay A350s in a few months but the comparison will be skewed as I will be in Premium Economy.
Flown economy AMS-XMN and LHR-LAX on 787-9 and MAN-HKG return on A350-9, can't honestly pick between them. Both excellent in my view.

RhysTheBeast

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2018
Manchester
I've yet to fly the A359 and A35X. From what I have heard from various sources they are excellent aircraft to fly in. Definitely, on my bucket list, I'm even tempted to choose my next flight using those types regardless of price.

pholling

May 9, 2014
Dreamliner issues for me have been due to lightweight floor boards (Similar to Airbus types) When sat on an aisle seat trying to nod off and crew are pounding up and down the seat kind off rocks sharply.

Also windows are poor for photography although large the internal plastic screen doesn't lend itself to sharp photos. Ok for phone photo I guess.

Give me a DC10 any day... With Dreamliner IFE!
The floor panels shouldn't have much effect on the seat as those are anchored to the seat tracks which are much stiffer than a panel. However, with a combination of lightweight seat and a specific walking speed you could get a natural resonance. Each airline will choose their seat supplier, model, and options. Some of these will be crap, others quite nice, and the combination will be different for different people. Economy seats are a horrible compromise.

As for the windows. They are highly polarised, from the use of the LCD dimming system. This plus the loss of light even when the crystals are randomly arranged will inhibit some forms of photography.

Advertisement

Top Bottom