I've always noticed a difference between the CAA & Manchester airport stats. It's been like that for decades!

Bristol under reports its figures each month to the extent that they are around 100,000 fewer than the CAA's each year. In May this year for example BRS shows 820,000 but the CAA shows 834,000. This has been going on for years and I've contacted the airport more than once. They now carry this note on their facts and figures web page: Due to differences in the way some flights are recorded, Bristol Airport figures may contain small variances when compared to those reported by the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).

I wouldn't call 100,000 a year a small variance. One of the main differences is that Bristol does not record under 2s in its own figures but the CAA does.

Some June stats are now out. LHR fell a whopping 38% from 13,141 last year to just 8,209 this year. Can't see this lasting at this rate.

Some June stats are now out. LHR fell a whopping 38% from 13,141 last year to just 8,209 this year. Can't see this lasting at this rate.

Well, you know I like to look on the bright side! The number of flights has reduced by 50%, but the number of passengers with a 50% reduction would only be 6570. So as there were actually 8,209, that represents a reasonable increase in the numbers of passengers on each flight compared to previously - despite the rubbish connections.

And whilst I have been on a bit of a mission with this recently, loads over the next few days look quite healthy according to GDS at least. And totally agree with WH that flights were cut by 50% but numbers haven't. That will be having the effect BA want.

You have missed the point completely. Not that I like the cuts, but rotations are half what they are last June. Loads have actually been at record levels since the cuts started in April.

April - 73%
May - 79%
June - 79%

Prior to that we had only around 4 months since 2012 of 70% or more. The highest was September last year which was 73%.

At last, some proper loading figures to look at. I would be interested to know how these loadings compare to their other domestic routes.

Full June stats now updated and we had 463,393 in June which was up 1.2%. Looks like we may have turned the corner. Rolling year now 4,014,603

And one interesting fact here we beat Liverpool for passengers in June 2018, only by a few hundred but the signs are showing promise.

And one interesting fact here we beat Liverpool for passengers in June 2018, only by a few hundred but the signs are showing promise.

LBA has done that a number of times over the last couple of years. Sadly it's our winter offering that lets us down badly. #justsaying #LBA

Full June stats now updated and we had 463,393 in June which was up 1.2%. Looks like we may have turned the corner. Rolling year now 4,014,603
Considering that last year we still had 2 based Monarch aircraft, and additional Ryanair flights, AND twice as many BA flights down to LHR, any increase this summer is an excellent outcome, because although Jet2 have added flights to compensate for the loss of Monarch, and Thomas Cook have operated 5 flights weekly, these together still don't quite cover all the Monarch losses let alone the loss of 10 BA rotations per week. LBA management were expecting to do no better than maintain the status quo, so I imagine they will be well pleased at this outcome.

Considering that last year we still had 2 based Monarch aircraft, and additional Ryanair flights, AND twice as many BA flights down to LHR, any increase this summer is an excellent outcome, because although Jet2 have added flights to compensate for the loss of Monarch, and Thomas Cook have operated 5 flights weekly, these together still don't quite cover all the Monarch losses let alone the loss of 10 BA rotations per week. LBA management were expecting to do no better than maintain the status quo, so I imagine they will be well pleased at this outcome.
The CAA figures show number of June flights down 6% on June 2017, quite a large drop, compared to down only 0.9% YTD.

It looks to me as though Monarch Airlines were definitively not filling there aircraft last year.

We all know Monarch reduced its average airfare last summer on quite a number of routes so to try and fill the aircraft cheaply, (Not just at LBA) This was one of the reasons as to what contributed to the eventual demise..

Last edited:
Certainly I tried to take advantage of very low fares to Malaga last year with Monarch, unfortunately the planes never took off, never though they would and took out ATOL insurance and my own travel policy covers airline failure.
Fortunately my OH just laughed, having stated we would never fly with Monarch in the 70/80's as their time keeping not suitable to be flying with young children, and then in 2016 having stated they were a financial basket case, then I buy tickets saving around half our normal cost and deserved all the aggravation I got.

Another superb result with over half a million passengers in the month, despite the reduction in flights compared to the same month last year (No Monarch, half the BA flights, less Ryanair, with just a few extra Jet2 plus 5 Thomas Cook flights to compensate. I didn't expect to see any increases, yet we have had two months in a row (admittedly the peak of summer) with increases in passengers. The loads on the aircraft must be very good.

Another superb result with over half a million passengers in the month, despite the reduction in flights compared to the same month last year (No Monarch, half the BA flights, less Ryanair, with just a few extra Jet2 plus 5 Thomas Cook flights to compensate. I didn't expect to see any increases, yet we have had two months in a row (admittedly the peak of summer) with increases in passengers. The loads on the aircraft must be very good.

How many less Ryanair flights do we have this year compared to 2017 White Heather? As you say excellent results, need to use this year to consolidate what we have and use this as a spring board for future growth years.

Always nice to see increases in passenger figures but an alarming drop in movements. As the Flight School is now no more I would assume there will be a further drop.

How many less Ryanair flights do we have this year compared to 2017 White Heather? As you say excellent results, need to use this year to consolidate what we have and use this as a spring board for future growth years.
Not sure, sorry. I know last year, they added extra flights, particularly during the peak period of summer, that this year they haven't added. Perhaps lbaspotter will be able to say more.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock