7% increase on July 2017 CAA stats would give around 936,000 for this July. Rolling 12-month total would be circa 8.46 million at the end of July.

CAA stats for July now published and show that 938,411 passengers used the airport in the month, up 7.3% on July 2017. Atms were up 5.2%. Rolling 12-month total was 8,463,939 also up 5.2% on a year ago.

The monthly total is 12,501 more than the airport's own figures which yet again show a huge disparity. For those who might not be aware BRS does not include under 2s and certain other types of passengers in its figures, whereas the CAA does. I don't know of any other airport that underplays its passenger figures each month and each year. Most seem to like to publicise as many as they can.

July 2018 - top ten routes

I don't normally collate these figures but as I was checking easyJet numbers I made a note of the top ten routes at the airport last month whilst I was looking.

Palma 52,613 + 8%
Amsterdam 40,085 + 8% (this is the first time the route has exceeded 40,000 in a calendar month so far as I can determine)
Dublin 39,711 +14%
Malaga 39,120 + 5%
Faro 35,571 +1%
Edinburgh 34,452 +5%
Alicante 34,401 -6%
Glasgow 26,840 +7%
Belfast Int 23,851 +1%
Barcelona 20,701 +6%

I was also surprised to note that there are only four UK routes to Gibraltar this summer and BRS was the third busiest (just and a long way behind the second busiest):

Gatwick 23,705
Heathrow 14,287
Bristol 4,720
Manchester 4,351

Heart Gloucestershire reporting Bristol Airport handled nearly 1 million passengers in August on Twitter, no exact figures or where the data came from......

https://twitter.com/heartglosnews/status/1039111018662768640?s=21
It's reported on heart news Bristol as being 951000 up 6.7% from last year. Nothing on the airport website tho.

Probably the airport's own figures - but see below - which as has been said many time are lower each month than those of the CAA, mainly because BRS doesn't count certain types of passengers (under 2s for example) that the CAA includes in its figures - BRS is probably the only UK airport that publicly announces lower passenger figures than the CAA each month and each year, sometimes a 10,000+ per month discrepancy. So as a comparison with other airports the CAA figures are the important ones.

In July 2018 the airport showed 925,910 terminal passengers whilst the CAA showed 938,411, a difference of 12,501.

In August 2017 the airport's figure was 894,028 so 6.7% on top of that for August 2018 would show 953,928. In August 2017 the CAA showed 905,050 - 6.7% on that would mean just under 966,000. The CAA percentage increase isn't alway exactly the same each month as the BRS one because of the different base figures.

Bristol Airport has published stats for August 2018 on its website:

August Pax 951.973 up 6.48%
August Atm 7,624 up 0.37%

A good month, especially with ATM's generally flat.

YTD Pax 5,826,916 up 5.04%
YTD Atm 52,283 up 1.18%

Just need to see the difference with the CAA stats when the next release is issued.

https://www.bristolairport.co.uk/about-us/news-and-media/facts-and-figures

BRS passenger figures for August still not on the CAA website. It's by far the largest airport in terms of passenger numbers not yet shown. This note appeared on the CAA website yesterday.

As of 09 October 2018, the following airports are not yet available for reporting and are therefore excluded: Bournemouth, Bristol, Inverness, Islay, Jersey, Kirkwall, Stornoway, Sumburgh and Tiree. The next scheduled refresh of airport publications will be week commencing 22 October 2018.

BRS issued a press release on 11 September regarding a record month in August with more detailed figures published on its Facts and Figures website page on 1 October. As the CAA receives its BRS passenger stats from the aiport, what's the delay? Subtracting the under 2s and others that BRS doesn't include in its own figures but the CAA does?

CAA Stats August 2018

BRS stats for August finally published today.

They show that 964,549 passengers used the terminal in the month, up 6.57% on August 2017. Atms were up 3%. Rolling 12-month total was 8,523,438, up 5.28% on a year ago.

September's CAA stats have been published today but once again BRS is not amongst the first batch to be released. The airport hasn't published its own September stats yet either.

CAA Stats August 2018

BRS stats for August finally published today.

They show that 964,549 passengers used the terminal in the month, up 6.57% on August 2017. Atms were up 3%. Rolling 12-month total was 8,523,438, up 5.28% on a year ago.

September's CAA stats have been published today but once again BRS is not amongst the first batch to be released. The airport hasn't published its own September stats yet either.

I contacted Bristol Airport on twitter yesterday with reference to that BRS is now the only UK airport that the CAA has been unable to publish stats for in September, up until this evening I had received no response. I sent a further message asking if there was any update, I have now received a reply from Jacqui Mills the PR, Media and Community Affairs at the airport asking me to email them at [email protected] which I have done so, I will update when I receive any further communications.

The problem is caused by the IT failure earlier in the year: the integrated system that records the statistics was badly affected and remains off-line to a large extent.

I contacted Bristol Airport on twitter yesterday with reference to that BRS is now the only UK airport that the CAA has been unable to publish stats for in September, up until this evening I had received no response. I sent a further message asking if there was any update, I have now received a reply from Jacqui Mills the PR, Media and Community Affairs at the airport asking me to email them at [email protected] which I have done so, I will update when I receive any further communications.

I've been in Upside Down Land for the past few weeks and returned yesterday to find that the monthly passenger figures at BRS are still stuck at August when a lot of other airports have reached October.

The problem is caused by the IT failure earlier in the year: the integrated system that records the statistics was badly affected and remains off-line to a large extent.

I wonder if there was no effective back-up meaning they might not be in a position to provide full passenger volume details for the months in question at all.

Does anyone know if such things as the stats, projections and collated replies from the first parts of the Master Plan surveys were also affected?

I've been in Upside Down Land for the past few weeks and returned yesterday to find that the monthly passenger figures at BRS are still stuck at August when a lot of other airports have reached October.

I wonder if there was no effective back-up meaning they might not be in a position to provide full passenger volume details for the months in question at all.

Does anyone know if such things as the stats, projections and collated replies from the first parts of the Master Plan surveys were also affected?

The response I have received from Jacqui Mills below:-

[QUOTE
Thank you for the email. As you know we were the target of an on line criminal attempt in September which caused issues with a number of administrative systems, including the application providing data for flight information screens. The feedback we have received regarding the contingencies in place has been positive, as passengers appreciate the additional tanoys and staff being in place around the terminal assisting.

Please keep a look out as the passenger data will be published on the website shortly.
][/QUOTE]

Hardly a ground breaking explanation as to where they are with getting everything back online, from recent twitter photo's Check-in screens are still down, the departure screens are still a crude attempt at an excel spreadsheet. I find it strange that an organisation of this magnitude has not managed to get critical data sources back online, over 2 months since the initial attack.

Just to clarify, I am in no way playing down the cyber attack on the airport systems, the NHS suffered a cyber attack and seemed to get back online within days. I am no IT expert, but I do know one of the IT guys who dealt with the NHS attack.

MAG has published its airports' passenger stats for November today. BRS is still to publish September's. It's the only airport on the CAA stats page that is still to publish September's figures.

I think I might contact Jacqui Mills again as she said they would be posted on the airport website shortly but that was back on the 22nd November.
I wonder if the CAA is chasing up the airport for the figures. If they have been the CAA might have accepted the reason(s) for the delay as being valid.

I suppose that other than to those of us who have an interest in such things, publishing passenger stats probably isn't a priority for the airport unless they have some sort of official commitment to the CAA to do so.

I wonder if the CAA is chasing up the airport for the figures. If they have been the CAA might have accepted the reason(s) for the delay as being valid.

I suppose that other than to those of us who have an interest in such things, publishing passenger stats probably isn't a priority for the airport unless they have some sort of official commitment to the CAA to do so.
If there is no priority for stats not published,then I will say no priority of news out of the airport to go along with that quote as well.

I have sent a further message to Jacqui Mills asking for an update as to where the airport is with getting IT systems back to full working order (BRS social media teams seem to be telling customers all is working normally when it obviously isn’t)
I also asked about both September and October statistics as we are now verging on the middle of December.
Will update when I get a response.

I have sent a further message to Jacqui Mills asking for an update as to where the airport is with getting IT systems back to full working order (BRS social media teams seem to be telling customers all is working normally when it obviously isn’t)
I also asked about both September and October statistics as we are now verging on the middle of December.
Will update when I get a response.
The Mayflys are still not available - another victim of the cyber attack.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock