• Hi Guest . We are in the process of installing new software. If you notice a glitch please let us know.

Infrastructure, Construction & Developments

In your opinion what new on-site development would best serve LBA?

• Runway extension

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • Full length parallel taxiway

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • New terminal

Votes: 24 38.7%

• Total voters

Britannia94

Mar 29, 2016
It was due to be resurfaced when the construction of the walkway was to take place. Unfortunately I get the feeling that the previous owners didn’t like the idea of spending any more money than needed on it and decided to keep what it was.

Would have been nice instead of the walkway a proper constructed pier over two levels with arrivals lanes on the bottom and departures on the top with gates all along the pier and airbridges out to stands 9-14. But alas that’s wishful thinking on my half I’m afraid, look at the two airbridges we do have, both are out of action and have been for a while now. As for the walkway it’s poor design, now I know I can’t fault the new owners as it wasn’t them who had it built.

White Heather

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
The BBC are still covering this even this evening and are now saying LBA is the worst 'small airport' in the country. Now it may well be that this is because it is one of the busiest small airports. As my dear old Dad always said, you can't get a quart into a pint pot, and that is what we are trying to do with the current terminal footprint and 4m passengers per year, nearly 4 times as many as they have down at DSA. As we have said, the proposed changes next year should go a long way to resolving many of the issues as it will result in no more crossing over of arriving and departing passengers, new, larger security zone and baggage reclaim areas all on the ground floor, more gates, less outdoor walkway, no going up to go back down when arriving, and yet more seating. It can't come fast enough. I can't help noticing though that the 'best' airports include 4 that relatively speaking, are not attracting huge numbers of airlines (and therefore passengers). It is so easy to avoid queues when the numbers of flights/passengers is less.

One area that I do know that LBA have worked very hard on recently is improving the attitude and friendliness of staff, so I wonder whether that might have improved since the survey was done. I do feel sorry for LBA to some degree though, as the queue at passport control will have dragged the satisfaction ratings down, yet the number of staff on the desks are outside of the airport's control. Yes they can make their feelings known to Border Force when they numbers are not sufficient, but ultimately it is down to Border Force, not the airport, if desks are not manned. I do know that Border Force have increased the number of desks being manned this summer as they did a presentation at the last Consultative Meeting, during which they also confirmed that manning DSA was also down to the same team. Hopefully those changes will be reflected in future Which surveys, although I suspect that we will have to wait until the terminal extension is completed and has been in use for a while before we see any real improvement (assuming of course that it IS built).

I can't help but be disappointed though in the BBC. Considering BBC Yorkshire are based in Leeds they seem very happy to stick the knife into LBA at any opportunity and equally happy to extoll the virtues of DSA, without bothering to inform their listeners that, for example, LBA is still scoring better than MAN. As STN is also one of the worst, it suggests that the Manchester Airport Group isn't doing too good a job either, although the Border Force issue will hit them just as bad as it does any other airport. In recent times, it seems that it is BBC York that takes more opportunities to present a fair and balanced view of LBA and they have at least twice this year interviewed David Laws to discuss the airport's development and to answer customer's concerns.

paully

Jan 22, 2018
Dewsbury
Look North is the televisual version of the Yorkshire Evening Post. The both employ the same pitiful quality.Stop watching them Heather, your blood pressure will thank you ;)

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Admin #2,325
Do people rally take the results of such surveys seriously? As I suggested in another thread it's often down to expectations and two people having exactly the same experience at an airport will mark them differently. Some people have higher expectations than others.

Large airports range from LHR handling nearly 80 mppa to BHX handling 13 mppa. Small airports range from GLA handling nearly 10 mppa to NWI handling just over 500,000. Someone has taken an arbitrary decision in this. They might as well have just listed all the airports in one 'league table' instead of splitting them into two groups.

Local 'newspapers' (in the loosest sense of the word these days) love surveys like this. It costs them no money, fills column space and their most junior hacks can knock up some sort of accompanying 'story' to keep the pot boiling.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Thread starter Admin #2,326
What people often don't think of too is the workers have to put up with the same cramped conditions as the passengers do, some for up to 12 hour shifts. It's not an easy task.

As my dear old Dad always said, you can't get a quart into a pint pot
Far more eloquently put @White Heather as I was thinking along the lines of you can't polish a turd.

Let's face it, Which? is saying what many of us have thought and said over the years and we have passionately campaigned for better facilities.

We will have to wait until the airports plans are released. Fingers crossed they will address some of the concerns raised by the Which? survey.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
Admin #2,328
What people often don't think of too is the workers have to put up with the same cramped conditions as the passengers do, some for up to 12 hour shifts. It's not an easy task.

Far more eloquently put @White Heather as I was thinking along the lines of you can't polish a turd.

Let's face it, Which? is saying what many of us have thought and said over the years and we have passionately campaigned for better facilities.

We will have to wait until the airports plans are released. Fingers crossed they will address some of the concerns raised by the Which? survey.
The BRS owners have spent £160 million since 2010, a similar amount in the decade before that, with more being spent currently and yet more earmarked for the near future all on airport infrastructure, yet BRS scored pretty feebly too.

rmac

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2009
I would certainly take this survey with a pinch of salt. How can you compare Heathrow with Doncaster. They are completely different. Last time I was at Heathrow it was heaving with people but at a visit to Doncaster I only saw one person, an employee doing nothing in a coffee shop (I think). The survey tells you nothing.

tleeds

Jan 23, 2011
Leeds
I know this is slightly off topic to what is being discussed above but last week I noticed their were construction and surveyance workers in the field closest to the roundabout next door to the new Airport Viking Car Park.

I know there were initial plans for a petrol station posted last year or early on this year. Does anyone know how credible this is or is it just another car park being planned?

tleeds

Jan 23, 2011
Leeds
Also to point out if it hasn’t been mentioned already, plans are in the initial stage for the Fire Station to move over toward Multiflight side of the airfield, freeing up space on this side of the Ramp.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Thread starter Admin #2,333
I know this is slightly off topic to what is being discussed above but last week I noticed their were construction and surveyance workers in the field closest to the roundabout next door to the new Airport Viking Car Park.

I know there were initial plans for a petrol station posted last year or early on this year. Does anyone know how credible this is or is it just another car park being planned?
There are new plans for a petrol station but its located opposite on Coney Park. I would expect additional parking is more likely unless they have something else up their sleeve.

LBA787

Sep 22, 2012
Leeds, UK

Viking looks to have been very popular so it wouldn’t surprise me if the airport plan to expand it down towards the roundabout.

:wtf:

lbaspotter

Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
www.lbaspotters.net
Moderator #2,336
Interesting development regards the new Terminal Extension

Its looking like we not far away from the point of Leeds/Bradford Airport submitting a planning application to Leeds City Council. As the airport is holding a Public consultation on Thursday 27 September in the Bramhope Suite of the Britannia Hotel, Leeds Road, Bramhope, LS16 9JJ.

Source: https://www.baildontowncouncil.gov....rt-public-consultation-27-september-330-830pm

Leeds Bradford Airport Public Consultation 27 September 3.30-8.30pm
Posted: Fri, 07 Sep 2018 10:27 by Admin

Leeds Bradford Airport have informed us that there will be a public consultation event that will be taking place on Thursday 27 September in the Bramhope Suite of the Britannia Hotel, Leeds Road, Bramhope, LS16 9JJ.

The event is taking place to outline the Airport's plans for a new Arrivals Hall, incorporating new departure gates as well as improved immigration capacity and baggage reclaim facilities. The proposal is in line with the Airport's 'Route to 2030 Strategic Development Plan' published in March 2017 and will provide capacity for up to 5m passengers from the 4m currently experienced.

The event will be open to the public between 15.30-20.30.

This is an exciting chapter in the growth of the Airport, and we are keen to ensure the prosperity the Airport brings to the Leeds City Region in terms of jobs, business development and tourism is done with the support of local communities and the local authorities.

White Heather

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
Excellent and clearly they are not going to be hanging about with this one. No doubt there will be some who turn up and complain about yet more building and with the usual 'close it down, it's in the wrong place', but hopefully the planning application will be quickly submitted and very quickly approved. Last time LBA submitted an application for the (now scrapped) terminal front extension scheme, the council rejected it and caused further delay as they didn't like the frontage. Hopefully this time, LBA's architects have been in discussion with the Council Planning Team to see what they like or don't like before doing the design. One thing is certain, this development is the most important one for LBA since the current terminal was built in 1965 and is the one that will make the most difference to the overall customer experience at the airport.

Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
Thread starter Admin #2,339
I'm hoping this is phase 1 of building a new terminal with a view to knocking down the current structure in the future. A new arrivals facility with a more appropriate boarding gate system would enable a phase 2 for a checking-in and departures. Relocating down the ramp will mean shorter distences for boarding and disembarking.

B737

Mar 3, 2012
The current building will remain after the new arrivals building is complete, but it will be reconfigured. The current international arrivals hall will become the new security area and then passengers will go up to level one where the current departures hall is but this will also be reconfigured.

Top Bottom