It's just as it was in the 70s. Whilst MAN, NCL, LPL and others all invested and grew, LBAs plans for a runway extension to enable jet movements were thrown out by the then Environment Minister, Peter Walker, and even to this day, LBA is playing catch up. And now, it seems that the Government don't want LBA to catch up any further.

What is it about Yorkshire and Leeds in particular that makes successive Governments hold back progress? Perhaps they think Yorkshire would be a bit too powerful if it were allowed to have the infrastructure it deserves, and that would never do would it?
Is it possible that the hesitancy has anything to do with it being a Labour run Council with some noisy 'haven't got a clue' Labour MP's? If so I doubt it will help them win people over in the long run.

The lack of support from most of the local MP’s is shameful as they blindly climb aboard the climate change bandwagon without question and totally ignore the economic well being of Leeds and West Yorkshire.
Indeed it is.

The problem is they probably haven’t even bothered to look at the actual plans properly and just jump to conclusions and jump on the climate change bandwagon.

They forget to notice these facts:
Eco Friendly terminal
Better Public Transportation options
Many New Jobs created
Helping the economy

Evan if I was not an avgeek and was an MP and saw these plans I would still approve it on these terms as there’s no expansion in the plans and it’s committed to the environment and improves transport to the airport which would be an improvement for the people that I would represent.

But sadly most of the Leeds MPs don’t think that way and don’t have the people of Leeds interests.

When we have an MP who in 2019 proclaimed he looked forward to further growth as LBA hit 4m passengers, yet now is in bed with ER and actively opposes LBA ( the biggest employer in his constituency), whilst promoting MAN as the Gateway Airport for the North, you know you're in trouble..

Plus 4 other Labour MPs who are a disgrace to the City of Leeds.

Plus a Mayor who is doing all she can to sit on the fence, apparently more interested in keeping her voters happy than doing what she is there to do, and get this region into recovery mode.

The common theme? The Labour Party. No longer the party of the people and only interested in their own careers and agendas. They even opposed their own Council who took the decision to approve the plans.

And then there is the Conservatives, with their South/North West bias. I won't even go there!

@White Heather I couldn't agree anymore. When you contact any of these people - do a polite reminder that they are public servants and we, the tax payer, pay there wages collectively. I've advised him the bill of all MP's and told him the majority of the Mp's are a complete waste of money and money would be better spent on the NHS/Nurses etc. I cannot wait for the dip stick to reply.

Last edited:
It's just as it was in the 70s. Whilst MAN, NCL, LPL and others all invested and grew, LBAs plans for a runway extension to enable jet movements were thrown out by the then Environment Minister, Peter Walker, and even to this day, LBA is playing catch up. And now, it seems that the Government don't want LBA to catch up any further.

What is it about Yorkshire and Leeds in particular that makes successive Governments hold back progress? Perhaps they think Yorkshire would be a bit too powerful if it were allowed to have the infrastructure it deserves, and that would never do would it?
I think its been a total lack of vision from the powers that be at LCC and other West Yorkshire councils. There's almost a self belief that we can't be like London or even Manchester. Its fresh blood that is needed in both the council and with regional politics, and I am not sure Tracy Brabin is going to be that sort of person to push for change with major infrastructure projects like the new terminal and trams.

I think its been a total lack of vision from the powers that be at LCC and other West Yorkshire councils. There's almost a self belief that we can't be like London or even Manchester. Its fresh blood that is needed in both the council and with regional politics, and I am not sure Tracy Brabin is going to be that sort of person to push for change with major infrastructure projects like the new terminal and trams.
In the past that was true, but you can't blame the Council now. They approved the 2013 terminal extension. It was never built. They approved the 2019 terminal extension. That wasn't built either. They approved the new terminal despite the opposition from their own MPs. If it's not built either, that's due to Government, not the Council.
Tempting as it is to blame the Council for all LBAs woes, it goes way beyond that. It was Government that refused the 1970s runway extension. Government that blocked the Leeds tram system; Government that is blocking the new terminal; and Government poised to axe the Leeds leg of HS2. There is a common theme here!

You can put that thought to bed immediately. She isn't and she won't. A total waste of space as far as aviation is concerned and LBA in particular. She intimated her support for all the right things prior to her election but guess what ...........?

Are AMP still even onboard with the terminal plans? im aware they will only commit once passenger levels are back to 2019 levels but talk about been arsed about by the government, a farce!
Yes they still are and have been chasing up a response from Jenrick. I understand from Aviador, who attended the Consultative Committee on my behalf this time, that the Government advised them that they would respond 'when they are ready'. That translates as ' Go away'!

You can put that thought to bed immediately. She isn't and she won't. A total waste of space as far as aviation is concerned and LBA in particular. She intimated her support for all the right things prior to her election but guess what ...........?
Agreed I only think she claimed to support it was to get votes.

I believe the conservative candidate was very supportive of the new terminal. If he was in office he could give his con college a nudge to approve it

Yes they still are and have been chasing up a response from Jenrick. I understand from Aviador, who attended the Consultative Committee on my behalf this time, that the Government advised them that they would respond 'when they are ready'. That translates as ' Go away'!
I think we should look at this from an optimistic point of view, if it was a straight up no / definite no, the government would of just said that right away, instead of fragging it out? - well that's what I am hoping for. Can't believe its taking so long, on the airports own land, with council approval.. just bl00dy get on with it.

Just a thought, is the Government waiting until after COP?

As hosts, kicking it into the long grass seems most sensible (in their eyes and climate activists only!)
Quite possibly, though they didn't kick Southampton's runway extension into the long grass, nor did they comment when Stansted won its appeal for a huge expansion that makes that planned at LBA look insignificant. And bearing in mind the LBA growth that is planned amounts to 3m more passengers by 2032, 11 years away, it really is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

100% correct. When I look at Manchester with envy, they have a forward looking policy which is about Manchester first, taking the lead in becoming the 'northern capital', LCC is like a parish council in comparison.

Leeds needs to compete and be competitive!!!! Proper makes my blood boil the numpties we have.

Anyone know how ITV are with LBA? (Are they pro or against usually?)

As I see one of their presenters has flew into there today

100% correct. When I look at Manchester with envy, they have a forward looking policy which is about Manchester first, taking the lead in becoming the 'northern capital', LCC is like a parish council in comparison.

Leeds needs to compete and be competitive!!!! Proper makes my blood boil the numpties we have.
That's exactly why LCC approved the terminal. They even said in the planning report that without the terminal the airport and city would not be competitive. So how is it the council's fault that the Government are so far refusing to allow it?

I’m sure there’s plenty we could have a go at Leeds city council for. Especially with the airport over the years

But with regards to this. The council have done their bit and made the right decision to approve the terminal plans.

If we’re having a go at anyone then that would be the government as we’re waiting on them to make a final decision and also the Leeds MPS that want to see this city sink further behind

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock