That's exactly why LCC approved the terminal. They even said in the planning report that without the terminal the airport and city would not be competitive. So how is it the council's fault that the Government are so far refusing to allow it?

I understand the point your making, but I'm trying to rationalise that Leeds wouldn't been in this mess if it had a council back in the early days that would have been proactive.

The point is LCC always seems to be late to the party. Leeds Arena being a prime example, another being our hesitation to build a conference centre becouse it might harm business in Harrogate..

I look at Andy Burnham over in Manchester working on creating transport franchise with capped fares... we in Leeds are.....well making more bicycle lanes :(

But LCC did approve it in the end even if it was slow and took ages to finally make a decision... they did and we got the result we were wanting

Our Mayor (Tracy Brabin) is another one who we can have a go at as she’s been hopeless with LBA and also the lack of support she’s been showing. It’s a shame she can’t follow her college mayors footsteps and support her local airport.

Im not defending LCC in any way shape or form as i have my views on them for many things. But I think we should cut them some slack on the new terminal plans as they did approve in the end.

I understand the point your making, but I'm trying to rationalise that Leeds wouldn't been in this mess if it had a council back in the early days that would have been proactive.

The point is LCC always seems to be late to the party. Leeds Arena being a prime example, another being our hesitation to build a conference centre becouse it might harm business in Harrogate..

I look at Andy Burnham over in Manchester working on creating transport franchise with capped fares... we in Leeds are.....well making more bicycle lanes :(
I do agree on that and in the past LCC have been slow to do many things that would have enhanced the city. They only built the arena using the money they got when they sold the airport.

Leeds is a fantastic city, and very successful. Imagine where it could have been if it had been more bold years ago. That said, consistently, the Government's have given Leeds no help at all, pulling the plug in various major airport and transport schemes over the years, whilst approving them in other cities, notably Sheffield and Manchester.

What Leeds has achieved so far, it has had to do by itself. Ironically, part if the success of the city is the University - the very University that seems to be actively trying to destroy aviation and the jobs it supports at LBA.

As per my previous post on this subject earlier today, LCC have in the past been pretty awful especially on transport, but in recent years they have supported the airport with its last three planning applications. Unfortunately, the Government are continuing to do what they always do and hold us back.

As for the Mayor, well that's not the doing of LCC. Time will tell if we have voted in a duffer but I expect a lot more from her than fancy bus stops and may be, another tram system. She needs to get off that fence and support the airport, and stand up to the ludicrous 5 Labour MPs .

Last edited:
@XEROX I thought much the same but have since found out that more cycle lanes are ìn fact government policy only being followed through by LCC. That said, I'm all for cycling being an option for those who want to cycle but we need our roads sorting out first before more cycle lanes are introduced. I've no doubt there will be government targets to reach which is probably why our roads are full of pot holes.

I do agree on that and in the past LCC have been slow to do many things that would have enhanced the city. They only built the arena using the money they got when they sold the airport.

Leeds is a fantastic city, and very successful. Imagine where it could have been if it had been more bold years ago. That said, consistently, the Government's have given Leeds no help at all, pulling the plug in various major airport and transport schemes over the years, whilst approving them in other cities, notably Sheffield and Manchester.

What Leeds has achieved so far, it has had to do by itself. Ironically, part if the success of the city is the University - the very University that seems to be actively trying to destroy aviation and the jobs it supports at LBA.

As per my previous post on this subject earlier today, LCC have in the past been pretty awful especially on transport, but in recent years they have supported the airport with its last three planning applications. Unfortunately, the Government are continuing to do what they always do for the East side of the Pennines, and hold us back.

As for the Mayor, well that's not the doing of LCC. Time will tell if we have voted in a duffer but I expect a lot more from her than fancy bus stops and may be, another tram system. She needs to get off that fence and support the airport, and stand up to the ludicrous 5 Labour MPs .
Exactly leeds is a fantastic city and it does have many things that manchester does not have such as the royal armouries, corn exchange, quarry house, beautiful arcades and full length streets of amazing architecture plus of course a massive financial sector, i can think of many more things but i agree imagine if we had a more pro active council and a decent airport and transport system i bet we would be well ahead of manchester.

Speaking of Leeds City Council. Remember this nutter from the Planning Committee...?

Leeds Live: Leeds councillor vows to not waste time debating with 'tin foil-hatted loons'.

Apparently people who don't share this mans views are now tin foil hat wearers that think co2 is Chinese communist plot.

Oh he was the bigoted p***k that, quite literally, hijacked some of the discussions points and always wanted more and more time to drone on and on and on and on and on about climate change blah blah blah blah. He's a waste of space councillor who shouldn't be on the planning committee as he doesn't view any plans in a fair and balanced way. It's does it suit his agenda or not.

If he holds such strong views about "tin foil hat" wearers then I hold the same contempt for his lot. They should all be chucked into a city, where they can live carbon free, meat free/vegan in a fluffy politically correct world. Meanwhile the rest of us can get on with proper world stuff and if we offend someone good.

Does he have any links to Alex Sobel? And what links do both of the idiots have to ER/the group that shall not be mentioned?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where do they get these idiots from and, more importantly, how do the Walshaws of this world stay where they are? The mind boggles, seriously. Leeds Live will love them though as they provide them with their stupid fodder to peddle as often as they are able. His sort do LCC a grave diservice and they are part of the reason why LCC isn't respected as it should be.

A bit unfair to tar all of the University with the same anti-aviation brush given there are 9,600 staff and over 38,000 students. Given that 12,000 students (a highly profitable income stream) are from overseas and that many of the academic staff travel overseas as part of the University’s international programme, without aviation the University would, to put it bluntly, be stuffed. As always a vociferous minority try to come across as though they represent the usually silent majority.

A bit unfair to tar all of the University with the same anti-aviation brush given there are 9,600 staff and over 38,000 students. Given that 12,000 students (a highly profitable income stream) are from overseas and that many of the academic staff travel overseas as part of the University’s international programme, without aviation the University would, to put it bluntly, be stuffed. As always a vociferous minority try to come across as though they represent the usually silent majority.
I wasn't aware that I said it was the entire University! But it is the hot-bed of the opposition in Leeds The 'scientists' behind the group that shall not be mentioned are there. Many of the 'doctors' who actively opposed the airport's terminal and who objected to the planning application are there, and it's the students largely who are voting in lunatics like Neil Walshaw, their Councillor. The University does nothing about it.

These students bleat on about the environment yet many are the same people who make Headingley look like a third world country by dumping their rubbish on the streets. Neither the University nor Cllr Walshaw does anything about that either.
And yes, there is a fair dose if hypocrisy here in that these people complain about air travel and conveniently overlook the fact that thousands of Leeds Uni students got to this country using that very mode of transport.

The fact is that at Leeds Uni, we have a bunch of so called Environmental Scientists with an anti aviation agenda, links to Extinction Rebellion, links to the group that shall not be mentioned, links to Neil Walshaw and Alex Sobel, and they are producing and feeding all their misleading data to all who will jump on board, including many of the students, most of whom object to our airport then go home when they have their degrees.

The University should be something to be proud of, and in many ways it is, but it's also a breeding ground for the current anti aviation agenda, along with many other Universities.

Last edited:
Airforced, Not all the Walshaws of this world are tarred with the same brush!!!!
I presume, not having any information to the contrary, that the name sits somewhere in the ls27 family. To clarify, if any clarification is needed, I was referring to people who hold similar views to the aforementioned Councillor not holders of the Walshaw name per se.

It’s not just this where this councilor has been disrespectful. I watched the two meetings back in February and March and he was called out for not wanting to listen to the supporters points. So it’s not the first time with this pleb.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock