Fight2win, to clarify phase1 involves an eastern end terminal extension whereas phase2 will involve a western end reconfiguration/extension.

The caravans parked over at Coney Park have been moved from next to Harrogate Road, at the Hawthorne Farm end. The has also being reports of contractors on site drilling and taking earth samples in the area of the site of the new BP Petrol Station.

Tarn Spotter, I didn't say I have faith in the people who provide the service, I stated that this being a new building, it would have to be built in accordance with the latest DDA regulations whereas the areas you are referring to were not required to be up to the latest standards as the regulations are not retrospective. Buildings and people are two different things. A building can have all the latest requirements of the regulations and it will still not work if the people who assist are not up to the job.

The corridor at the airport was a brand new construction, new walls, floor, lighting etc, I accept I am referring to planning requirements, but surely it should have been constructed to meet other regulations as well.
This has nothing to do with people, the corridor was unfit for purpose, you cant have steps on a wheelchair route. The person who inspected probably thought it was suitable for use and passed fit for purpose, possibly thinking wheelchair users had a different route, but did not check out this fact.
This was certainly the situation at the hotel, where issues had been spotted, others said plans in place to overcome, yet the two sides never got together.
last night returning home by train, a lady with the new modern wheelchair was unable to access the carriage wheelchair bay as the wheelchair too long to turn the corner in to the space. Especially in wheelchairs, technology has advanced in leap and bounds in the last decade as AI aspects can be built in. What was acceptable yesterday is not today.
When I think of my mother in the 50's being strapped in a guards van, with no food, drink, toilet etc, in the dark with no human contact for hours on end, we have come far, still a huge way to go.

The corridor at LBA may have been built new, but it was still only an extension to the existing building which itself had been there for many years and which has many built in obstacles for people with disabilities. It would not have been required to meet all the latest DDA standards - and those standards tend to change all the time anyway, as 'best practice' becomes established. As an example, I know of a new build on the South Bank in Leeds where the ramp outside failed to comply with the latest legislation by the time it was completed, as the rules regarding the gradient changed during construction. In such circumstances, they don't need to change the design mid-construction. If they did, they would never finish as things change too quickly.
The new building now being planned will be classed as a completely new building (even though it will have to be linked to the old one) rather than just an extension - a point already made by David Laws - and therefore will have to be compliant with the latest DDA regulations.
As I have said, I will try, tomorrow at the Consultative Committee meeting to ask what is being planned in order to ensure that this new construction is not built with unacceptable obstacles or lack of facilities and that it will fully meet the latest legislation.

Further to the above and today's meeting, here, as promised, is the information provided today with regard to the terminal. (The only item on the agenda today was the terminal extension, although one or two other bits of information came to light in an amongst discussions).

1. The funding for the terminal extension is agreed by AMP Capital and is in place. The proposed contractor is local and has experience of working in airport environments, although the contract is not yet finalised.

2. The proposed design of the terminal has taken into account the complaints of customers and eliminates them. It will be 3 storeys landside and 2 airside but the undercroft (ie; ground floor landside will NOT be for public use. It will measure some 5,500m2 in area and will be fully compliant with the latest Disability Discrimination Act Regulations. (I suggested that nevertheless, LBA and their design team might consider bringing on board a group representing people with disabilities to go through the proposals and offer comments - a suggestion that was well received).

3. LBA and the design team will be looking at sustainability options such as solar panels, rainwater storage etc. but need to take account of safety issues (eg: reflections caused by solar panels may be an issue).

4. Details provided show that ceiling heights in the building are considerable. The ramp from the building is also underneath a large canopy, so not fully exposed to the elements. They are also looking at the possibility of an alternative exit further across the terminal frontage.

5. The submission to Leeds City Planning will be made in November after the consultation on 27th of this month at the Bramhope Britannia Hotel. It is hoped that approval will be given in December or January. Assuming this is the case, construction will commence shortly afterwards (early 2019) with completion by Autumn 2019. Subsequent to this, the intention is then to commence the refurbishment and re-configuration of the existing terminal building in late 2019. This will provide a new larger security zone (where baggage reclaim is now). The existing management suite, Camden, Burger King and World Duty Free areas will all be impacted to create a new larger area. The World Duty Free will be enlarged.

6. Highlights of the new terminal are as follows:
A 250% increase in space available for border force/immigration
Additional 5 Immigration Desks, some of which will hopefully be E-gates.
3 double size baggage carousels, capable of handling wide body aircraft of the 300-400 pax size. This doubles the waiting area around the carousels compared to current.
Additional free seating areas
Additional retail and eating outlets
3 additional departure gates
3 additional arrivals gates
Immigration area and baggage reclaim area all on ground floor.
No cross-over of departing and arriving passengers within the terminal.
Allows dedicated lounge seating areas to be created to cater for wide body aircraft departures.
Allows capacity for expansion at LBA over future years and can be extended further if required.

It was also stated that additional aircraft stands will be constructed over the next 2 to 4 years once the terminal works are completed.

It was stated that the works to be undertaken, together with the plans for a Parkway Station, have resulted in a good level of interest from airlines at the recent Routes Conference in China.

Indirectly, the works are likely to attract wide body operations which in turn will enable freight to be brought through LBA - something that more or less stopped when PIA pulled out of the airport.

I did suggest that they have the ramp fully enclosed xboy999, for those very reasons, and again, they took it on board. They didn't say what the Undercroft would be used for - presumably storage but what they can use it for will depend on the construction I think - anything that is particularly combustible would require a fire proofed soffit above.

Re point 2 on White Heather's update, I think you need to throw your hat into the ring Tarnspotter!! If anyone can advise them, I can't think of anyone better qualified for the task.

@White Heather Thinking ahead to when they look to developing the current structure to transform it into a check-in facility. Did the airport say whether they would be looking to remove all the temporary buildings, both airside and landside such as Check-in Hall B? I know we previously thought B-hall would need to be extended across where the Fire Station is to enable them to move departures to the arrivals area but is this still the case? It certainly sounds like this was re-looked at during the latest announcement to develop a standalone arrivals facility.
Also, is it possible to establish whether or not the airport intend to alter the external structure of current terminal to give it some continuity and remove it's piecemeal appearance?

So, if I am reading things right, it is the intention that the departure lounge in the current building will be the whole of the first floor only. So, is it the intention to:
  • Rip out the current arrivals halls and make that the new central screening area for departures, which then leads to:
  • Ripping out the current central screening area and extending the check-in area right through to end of the building, which then leads to:
  • No need for Hall B check-in, so flatten it, along with the ‘temporary’ apron outbuildings that Aviador mentioned, which then leads to:
  • The ability to extend Stand 1 back to accommodate bigger aircraft, plus hey presto we get Stands 2 and 4 back at long last

Sorry Aviador, yesterday was pretty much all about the terminal extension - a presentation that went on for around 2 hours. Although they said the schedule for then altering the existing terminal so provide more space, they didn't go into the detail and I presume that is because it is being treated as a separate project and the details are not yet drawn up. Although I did ask a lot of questions, about such as disabled access etc., there is a limit to how much I can ask due to time constraints and the fact around 25 other people have their questions too. One thing I can add though, is that they did say that in the future, if required, they could still opt to build the terminal front extension that they already have approval for. That would of course provide yet more public area seating. The reason they are not doing so now is that it would have only delayed the requirement to extend the terminal in the way they are now doing. It wouldn't have 'future proofed' the terminal and would have done nothing to resolve the issues relating to space available for security, passport control or baggage reclaim, and in particular would have done nothing to sort out the constant crossing over of departing and arriving passengers.
One last thing I didn't mention yesterday is that the terminal extension also includes a covered pier on the airside, which will replace the existing walkway. This can also be extended later along the entire length of the apron. The new pier will be climate controlled and be split level - arrivals on the ground floor and departures above, as is the case at many other airports.

It was mentioned that they were both non operative - and one is due to some airport based employee leaving the door open after the aircraft departed in heavy rain which got inside and fried the electronics. LBA are in the process of getting them repaired but certainly in the case of the fried electronics it sounds complex and expensive. Incidentally, they are NOT planning any further air bridges when the terminal expansion is built because the airlines are not keen on using them, BA and KLM apart. However they did say that if they were successful in attracting a legacy carrier or one which prefers to use air bridges, another could be added to the terminal extension retrospectively. I would imagine though they would need to be sure that this carrier was going to be here for the long term before committing a 7 figure sum to an airbridge.

The ability to extend Stand 1 back to accommodate bigger aircraft, plus hey presto we get Stands 2 and 4 back at long last

Not so fast @Bigman as I understand aircraft parking on those stands interfere with the ILS. I'm not sure to what extent so I guess it's a case of watch this space.

That’s poor if correct that stands cannot be used due toILS issues. I presume due to their proximity to ILS?

That’s poor if correct that stands cannot be used due toILS issues. I presume due to their proximity to ILS?

It's okay to park Embrear's 135/145, Dash 8-400's, ATR42/72's, Saab 2000 and so on in any conditions. In good conditions B737-300 or Embraer 190 can be parked down there as well.

But when we are in CATIII conditions it's a big no no, seen as I understand it interferes with either the 32 Glidescope or the ILS. Not 100% which though.

As I've seen it this summer, if there is an aircraft on final (ILS) approach to runway 14, any aircraft taxiing to stand 1 must wait until said aircraft has landed before parking. In practice, this has meant holding on taxiway Alpha abeam stand 3.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock