Looks like we might end up with 2x Petrol Stations up at LBA,

As 2nd planning application has being submitted to build a filling station just of Whitehouse Lane on the airports own land. It looks like one of the old cargo sheds is to be demolished to make room for it as it sits right next to the old airport fuel farm and Alpha's inflight catering shed.

Souce: https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/o...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=PEGU2LJBIXT00

Reference 18/05583/FU
Application Validated Sun 16 Sep 2018
Address Land At Leeds And Bradford Airport Whitehouse Lane Yeadon Leeds LS19 7UA
Proposal Demolition of existing warehouse unit and construction of a new filling station with six double sided pump islands , canopy, air and jet wash facilities, associated ancillary sales block, landscape, access and other associated works
Status Current
Appeal Status Unknown

petrol station 1.JPGpetrol station 2.JPG

Meanwhile the planning application for the proposed BP filling station just up the road off the (A658) Harrogate Road at Coney Parl is still live on the Leeds City Council planning portal here.

https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/o....do?caseType=Application&keyVal=PAO9KFJBJPN00

Reference 18/03964/FU
Application Validated Fri 13 Jul 2018
Address Coney Park Harrogate Road Bramhope Leeds
Proposal Erection of a petrol filling station comprising ancillary convenience store, fuel pump canopy and associated works and services, including access road
Status Current
Appeal Status Unknown

Last edited:
The Coney Park petrol station plans hold a lot more merit with its dedicated junction and traffic calming measures. The airport plans on the otherhand are just going to add to the congestion on Whitehouse Lane, the access road to the terminal.

I half expect the Coney Park plans will be withdrawn now and then the airport will probably change it's mind as well. It's the Leeds way of doing things, or rather not doing anything!

"3rd largest city, 25th airport re passenger numbers"

I think that is incorrect. I don't know about being 3rd largest city but according to my figures they are the 15th largest airport in passenger numbers.

Yes, Leeds is the 2nd largest city outside London. Last time I checked the population was about 720,000. The first is Birmingham

Yes, Leeds is the UK's 3rd largest city, having overtaken Glasgow a few years back. According to Population UK, Leeds had a population of 801,600 in 2017 and the estimated population for 2018 based on the expected growth was 810,000. Taking that into account and the overall population of West Yorkshire and this end of North Yorkshire, our airport should be handling very many more than the current 4m passengers per year. If only it hadn't been starved of investment, starved of support in its early years, and if only our leaders hadn't stood back and watched MAN expand constantly and very much at LBA's expense.

Manchester has a population of 541,300, but claims 2.55 million which is the population for the greater Manchester conurbation. That is claimed as the 2nd largest outside London. I don't thing west Yorkshire is far behind

I wonder what the stats would be for number of people within an hour of each airport though?

Pointless having lots of population around if getting to MAN is quicker than getting to LBA.

Manchester has a population of 541,300, but claims 2.55 million which is the population for the greater Manchester conurbation. That is claimed as the 2nd largest outside London. I don't thing west Yorkshire is far behind
It is a shame that West Yorkshire wasn't called Greater Leeds! We might have got more funding and more progress had it been. Ask most people about Manchester and they think it is a huge city. It isn't. It is a good deal smaller than Leeds, and Glasgow, and Sheffield too. People tend to think that Salford (people such as the BBC for instance), Bury, Bolton, Rochdale, Altrincham etc are all suburbs of Manchester rather than cities and towns in their own right. A 'Greater Leeds' would never have been allowed here - Bradford is too big and important a city to be absorbed into a Greater Leeds and lose much of its identity. I often wonder what the places in Lancashire and Cheshire thought about losing their identities and becoming just a part of Greater Manchester?

As a Lancastrian (don't all snort at the same time please) who left the Red Rose County many years ago I can tell you that they didn't lose their identities but just ignored the GM label and saw the whole thing as just another political manipulation which would benefit no-one except those directly involved who had whatever ulteria motives that were appropriate to themselves. I suspect you would get the same sort of reaction if something similar were to happen this side of the Pennines.

As a Lancastrian (don't all snort at the same time please) who left the Red Rose County many years ago I can tell you that they didn't lose their identities but just ignored the GM label and saw the whole thing as just another political manipulation which would benefit no-one except those directly involved who had whatever ulteria motives that were appropriate to themselves. I suspect you would get the same sort of reaction if something similar were to happen this side of the Pennines.
I think in a roundabout way we are saying the same thing airforced. Had they tried to make West Yorkshire 'Greater Leeds' there would have been a real outcry here. Imagine places like Halifax, or Harrogate just becoming part of Greater Leeds? Although I am sure that the local people in the Lancashire towns haven't lost their identities, I am referring mainly to the fact that people elsewhere in the UK now think that places such as Rochdale and Bury are just parts of a big city called Manchester, which they are not.

That's quite right WH other than the towns you mentioned are in fact local authorities in their own right ,(there are 10 such authoritys), but seem to be satisfied to live under the name of Greater Manchester, an authority abolished in 1986

I think a far better option is devolved powers to Yorkshire rather than a Greater Leeds. Our area is poly centric and each centre should retain its own character. That said, central and devolved powers IMO would give focus to schemes such as LBA and associated transport links.

The refurbishment of both airbridges will commence later this month and will take until about the first week of December to complete. All that shall remain of the current structures are the shells of glass and metal. The electrics, circuits, motors, wheels and so on of both bridges will be entirely replaced. A Dutch firm called Anton is doing the works.

It's just nice to hear they are keeping them. I know we are frequently told about the cost implications of air bridges but they are popular with passenger.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock