But looks like TUI have filled some of the gaps.
The gap on Thursday has been filled by an extra Gran Canaria.
The gap on Monday by a 3rd Tenerife.
Antalya is now 2 weekly with the addition of a non based Sunday flight.
Dalaman goes to 3 weekly with the addition of a non based Tuesday flight.

Last edited:
But looks like TUI have filled some of the gaps.
The gap on Thursday has been filled by an extra Gran Canaria.
The gap on Monday by a 3rd Tenerife.
Antalya is now 2 weekly with the addition of a non based Sunday flight.
Dalaman goes to 3 weekly with the addition of a non based Tuesday flight.
These will lead to 47 weekly departures for Summer 2020 a 2 weekly increase on Summer 2019. Hopefully a few more flights will be added as it would be nice to get to 50 weekly departures.

That's good news! Nothing on sale for these or on the timetable page though?
You have to do a dummy booking then it comes up in the timetable.
The extra flights are good news but still nowhere near replacing the lost capacity but maybe it needs to be a case of just be grateful for what you get!

Good news. I’d imagine PMI will get an additional non based flight. Air Europa did it a few years ago. Wonder if VY can be persuaded to add flights and TUI take a bigger allocation.

It looks like that on Thursday the Faro aircraft will now operate a W pattern to East midlands instead of Exeter.

It looks like that on Thursday the Faro aircraft will now operate a W pattern to East midlands instead of Exeter.
Shame It’s still a W pattern. Great to use the slot for a Rhodes or Zakynthos been as TCX flew there and nothing has replaced the capacity lost in Greece.

Shame It’s still a W pattern. Great to use the slot for a Rhodes or Zakynthos been as TCX flew there and nothing has replaced the capacity lost in Greece.
I know people will probably say be grateful for what you get and that TUI has bigger fish to fry but considering the expansion elsewhere if I was CWL management I would be bitterly disappointed that TUI didn't base a 4th aircraft and maybe less disappointed that the Orlando flight they added on Monday at Bristol didn't come to Cardiff. 2 flights a week extra is nice but I kind of feel it could've been more.
Will be good to see some different carriers at CWL again.

Last edited:
........ and maybe less disappointed that the Orlando flight they added on Monday at Bristol didn't come to Cardiff.

At the moment a 787 is due to be based at BRS all next summer and is still shown as having two short-haul routes to operate on Mondays. If that is not altered TUI will need to position in a second 787 on Mondays to operate to Orlando.

Although Orlando is in reach of BRS non-stop on the 787-8 (Cancun sometimes isn't) it would still have been an opportunity to have re-started a service that Thomson used to operate regularly from CWL. TUI's press release might provide the clue as to why they haven't done so - they want to offer 10/11 night holidays to the most popular destinations.

(Jerry - I know that you are aware of the contents of my post, but other readers might not be which is why I have responded)

TUI's press release might provide the clue as to why they haven't done so - they want to offer 10/11 night holidays to the most popular destinations.
It is understandable but from a Cardiff point of view it's just extremely frustrating knowing that s big part of the customers for that flight will consist of people from it's area. In fact looking at what TUI has added it's incredibly frustrating to see the Thomas Cook capacity not being replaced where they have done so at other airports. Unless CWL can pull a rabbit out of the hat with another airline it looks like more customers will be lost from the airport and will head over the bridge.
It does make me wonder as well if TUI won't add a 4th aircraft now then the chances of them doing it in the future may well be extremely slim.

It is understandable but from a Cardiff point of view it's just extremely frustrating knowing that s big part of the customers for that flight will consist of people from it's area. In fact looking at what TUI has added it's incredibly frustrating to see the Thomas Cook capacity not being replaced where they have done so at other airports. Unless CWL can pull a rabbit out of the hat with another airline it looks like more customers will be lost from the airport and will head over the bridge.
It does make me wonder as well if TUI won't add a 4th aircraft now then the chances of them doing it in the future may well be extremely slim.
TUI say they have added 30,000 seats at CWL for summer 2020. They have added 42,000 seats at EXT which didn't even have any Thomas Cook void to replace.

So that does seem very odd and difficult to understand. EXT will still have a considerably smaller TUI presence than CWL next summer with one and one part-based aircraft against three based at CWL, but I was expecting a bigger TUI response at CWL.

TUI say they have added 30,000 seats at CWL for summer 2020. They have added 42,000 seats at EXT which didn't even have any Thomas Cook void to replace.

So that does seem very odd and difficult to understand. EXT will still have a considerably smaller TUI presence than CWL next summer with one and one part-based aircraft against three based at CWL, but I was expecting a bigger TUI response at CWL.
It appears that Cardiff will be the only Thomas Cook base that won't have most of that capacity replaced.

This being the confirmed expansion by TUI, it leaves a quite a gap that could be filled by other operators through JET2, Ryanair etc..

If I remember correctly that is only an extra 15,000 seats on their 2019 schedule as I believe the original 2020 was 2 weekly flights less than 2019.
You might have a point. Two flights per week would add up to 756 seats (189 outbound + 189 inbound ) x 2, then it's a case of how long the two deleted flights operated in summer 2019.

I can't comment in detail because I don't know the precise programme for summer 2019 nor the one for summer 2020.

This is a strange move by TUI. I would have thought that a large proportion of the gap would have been filled by this expansion and it hasn’t.

Precarious situation for CWL now which faces losing those passengers to extra capacity at BRS. There’s a gap left for someone to manoeuvre into, it’s just whether there’s enough of a gap for any other operators to take it seriously.

You might have a point. Two flights per week would add up to 756 seats (189 outbound + 189 inbound ) x 2, then it's a case of how long the two deleted flights operated in summer 2019.
If i rememeber correctly the 2 mentioned flights were the night flights to PMI and IBZ which operated all season. Looking at 2020 they only operate July and August. The extra seats don't really compensated for what is lost with Ryanair and Vueling really let alone Thomas Cook on the holiday flights front.

Precarious situation for CWL now which faces losing those passengers to extra capacity at BRS. There’s a gap left for someone to manoeuvre into, it’s just whether there’s enough of a gap for any other operators to take it seriously.
Yet surely the BRS capacity should in theory at least be taken up by the Thomas Cook customers at Bristol, roughly 500,000 a year with the extras at Exeter possibly being filled up by Thomas Cook customers from that area. Of course they won't attract them all but there should be enough, which to me makes them not adding a 4th at CWL strange and disappointing.

Yet surely the BRS capacity should in theory at least be taken up by the Thomas Cook customers at Bristol, roughly 500,000 a year with the extras at Exeter possibly being filled up by Thomas Cook customers from that area. Of course they won't attract them all but there should be enough, which to me makes them not adding a 4th at CWL strange and disappointing.
TUI say they have added another 266,000 seats at BRS for summer 2020. With Exeter's additional 42,000 that's a bit over 300,000 in total. That still leaves a gap as TCX had over 500,000 seats per year at BRS.

As I said earlier, I'm with you on the lack of a 4th aircraft at CWL thinking by TUI. I still wonder though where TUI is going to get all the extra aircraft it will need to service its extra capacity around the country next summer.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock