Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
Concorde on the move

CONCORDE has moved to a temporary stand at Manchester Airport while her new £1m home is built.

The iconic 96-tonne aircraft was pulled 17 metres by ground crews at the airport's aviation viewing park so construction work on the super hangar and visitor centre can begin.

The supersonic passenger plane - call sign G-BOAC - made her last flight to Manchester in October 2003 to go on display. More than 250,000 people a year visit the viewing park.

Work is due to start on the hangar, which will protect the jet and increase visitor numbers, in spring after several delays. It is due to open to the public by the end of July.

The development will include a corporate hospitality suite for up to 75 delegates, an education centre for school tours and an aviation exhibition. There will also be a glass-walled restaurant with extensive views of the busy runways.

Andrew Holl, airport director of operations, said: "I am delighted that plans are getting underway to re-home this important piece of aviation history.

"Concorde is very close to our hearts here at Manchester Airport and the thousands of visitors feel passionately about her care for the future, which this new hangar will offer.

"Concorde's new home will not only protect her for future generations to enjoy her beauty, but will also provide a great day out for young and old. It is also great to know that this development will offer visitors the chance to visit the viewing park in all weathers, knowing that they can see our exhibits and runways without being exposed to the Manchester weather."

Swissport volunteered its ground crew to move the plane.

Work on the £1.1m hangar was halted after routine surveys of the site found dozens of protected great crested newts.

The newts were found in August and have now been re-homed at a cost of £5,000 in a pond away from the development.

In February, the M.E.N revealed how the airport has spent more than £1m re-homing the species in the past five years. Newt-proof plastic fencing has now been put around the zone to prevent more of the animals migrating to the area

The contract for the work has been awarded to The Hurst Group and the hangar is being supplied by De Boer.

Source

• Admin
As of about last week, Concorde is now in position in it's new hanger situated on the site of the Airport Visitor Centre.

• Admin
We visited the visitor centre in the autumn last year. Although it was good to see Concorde again I still think it should be flying today. I suppose I will get over it eventually. I wonder if anybody will ever raise money to get the aircraft up to airworthy standards again like they've done with the Vulcan?

Here's some pictures of the aircraft on display.

The British Airways Concorde G-BOAC.
Man-018.png

Man-019.png

Man-020.png

Man-021.png

Man-032.png

The Legendary Trident.
Man-001.png

Man-002.png

I didn't manage to get a picture of the front end of the Monarch A300. Out of interest, does anyone know which aircraft it used to belong to? I've been wondering if it's the one I flew on to Rhodes about 5 years since. It was a right old rust bucket.

In the remote chance that anybody would actually like to use any of my pictures by the way, you are more than welcome but please leave the credit to this forum on the bottom, cheers! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum. I know that the last post regarding the Monarch ac at Manchester's AVP was posted a long time ago but I thought I would give a bit of info regarding this Monarch ac. The ac is actually a DC-10-30. Last reg used was G-DMCA. Chances are you did fly on this ac Aviador to Rhodes as I flew on this ac in July 2000 to Rhodes. Hope this helps.

Post approved by Aviador @ 19:56 on 2.1.2010

• Admin
Thanks for the snippet of information 'runway 14'.

Unfortunately I've lost the reg of the aircraft that I flew on.

Here are some videos from Manchester Airport:

The view from Terminal 3 (feat some wide bodies and big boys!), Dec 09

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWsuAU1fUHM[/video]

The view from Terminal 1 (Jan 09)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK-sgY83HQ4[/video]

Aviation Viewing Park (May 09)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLTI9UTO9wo[/video]

There are plenty more Manchester Airport videos, as well as videos of other airports on my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/stuartmoss

• Admin
Thanks for posting those. They're really good. (don't forget to mention Forums4airports.com when you visit other airports! ;) )

Aviador said:
Thanks for posting those. They're really good. (don't forget to mention Forums4airports.com when you visit other airports! ;) )

Funny you should say that, I was up at the Cemetery view point for LBIA on Saturday and told a chap (with LOTS of stickers on his car) about this website, he said he was going to check it out.

How much is it these days to go to the visitor centre? Plus does anyone know if the area near runway 2 is still accessible?

Aviador said:
How much is it these days to go to the visitor centre? Plus does anyone know if the area near runway 2 is still accessible?

As far as im aware, they have just recently increased the price. Before it was i think £3 per car plus £1 per every additional person. I believe they have now changed the pricing and charge by the hour, if i remember correctly i think its about £4 per hour now, i shall try find out for definite.

The AVP were doing an offer wherby a visit would be a significant discount on days England play in the World Cup. I think we can forget about that now anyway.

With regard to the "viewing area" adjacent to the threshold for runway 24L, i believe it is still accessible, i was there perhaps a month ago. In fact, it was rather busy, its free with great views especially when runway 24L in use. On a warm day, its a great area to be.

Thanks for that 'Type Rated B767' All I need now is a baby sitter and a sunny day. :LOL:

iu think if ur staying for a long preiof park your car near the pub and walk to the veing park coz iis it the car or the people they charge for

rhinoscrazy said:
iu think if ur staying for a long preiof park your car near the pub and walk to the veing park coz iis it the car or the people they charge for

rhinoscrazy, please try to look at your post before posting, as some spelling errors cannot be clearly made out.

Thankyou.

Moderators.

If you want to get great views of landing/departing planes go to the land opposite The Airport pub. To get there follow the road past the pub over the railway bridge then turn right and go down the long road then turn right at the traffic lights, over the other railway bridge and turn into the road leading to the big car park, then keep walking 'till you reach the mounds of earth and just plonk yourself atop one. It's much better than the pub grounds 'cos you don't have the fences spoiling the view. And there's only ever a handful of people around, if any at all. It's my fave viewing spot at MAN, much better than the pub or the AVP.

It's just some waste ground and some overgrown grassland I have seen a car there before and there's no no-parking signs anywhere so you should be ok.

Used this waste land area many times in the past and yes it does provide excellent view over the runway and aircraft landing from the east. Was there yesterday to see my son coming in on the A380 flight from Dubai. A number of contractors were on site and talking to one of the guys was informed that the area will be closed to the public from Monday as conxtrucyion work is due to begin. One of the best free viewing areas now lost forever.

viewing A380 take off Manchester

Where is the best place to view the take off of the A380 at Manchester tommorow 29/03/2011 please.?
Will I be able to view from the Airport pub?
Thank you,
Billy

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock