I think the key to this is that trains run cross-country stopping at LBA like MAN where they originate in, say, Hull, Scarborough or Middlesborough and end in Liverpool, picking up and dropping off at points in-between. Purely local trains are not the answer.

I think the key to this is that trains run cross-country stopping at LBA like MAN where they originate in, say, Hull, Scarborough or Middlesborough and end in Liverpool, picking up and dropping off at points in-between. Purely local trains are not the answer.

Plan is to have to the 6x daily Harrogate - London direct LNER services calling at the airport which will allow for cross city service to Wakefield - Doncaster and beyond, along with the Northern operated Leeds - Harrogate - York trains.

The key is to get the thing built and up and running. You can then put on whatever schedules you like. There is nothing to stop Northern from extending the current Leeds-Harrogate-York to Scarborough or through to Hull via Selby (albeit this one would be a bit convoluted). Similarly, trains going into Leeds do not necessary have to terminate/reverse there. I can actually see an hourly through service to the new station at Thorpe Park, which is going to act as a parkway station in it's own right. Like lbaspotter says, there are the planned LNER services which put Wakefield and Doncaster well within the radar. Lots of possibilities once it gets built. Manchester Airport did not have all it's current services from the day it first opened. It took years to get to the current service pattern.

Yes, we know, but the distance is only just over half a mile - 0.7 to be precise, to the new terminal, and the airport will provide free, electric shuttle buses to meet inbound trains and ferry passengers direct to the terminal door, which is better than nothing - because that is all we will get if this doesn't happen. Taking into account this also provides North West Leeds with its only Park and Ride, which is badly needed, and it also provides another rail station for the Moseley Wood part of Cookridge (taking pressure off Horsforth, again much needed), then this is a scheme that needs to go ahead. If it doesn't, after so much planning, and with the money available, then we may as well just give up.
The new rail station is far better in the planned location away from the airport for a number of reasons, like previously stated if its also going to be a park and ride station then it will require a very large car park which means it has to be located slightly away from the airport as around the airfield space for car parks for flying passengers and staff need to be there, also the plans for the new terminal actually extends out more towards scotland lane. also to note LBA is aiming in the future to take 7million passengers a year which is pretty much double what it takes now so in the future more land around the airport may well be required so the location of this new railway station is ideal.
noticed on good old moaning ***Links to other Social Media platforms are not permitted***- the station is getting negative views but as per usual most dont look at the in depth details of it first!

The parkway will only be attractive if passengers can alight at their local station and arrive at LBA without a change- in the same way as they do when travelling to/from MAN. We are already requiring them to compromise by accepting a bus link at LBA parkway. For example, if I wanted to travel from Dewsbury to an airport it would be easier to get the train to MAN than to LBA where a change would be required in Leeds. A very quick google suggests there are up to 40 trains a day from Dewsbury to MAN (sounds a lot so I may be wrong) The Parkway concept is not as good as a direct airport link so its important that the trains serving it come direct from as many places as possible and the opportunity the Parkway presents is maximised.

Surely the airport would gift some of its long term car park space over to P&R in return for a direct rail link... Afterall it could always deck some of its existing expansive surface parking.

That would vastly reduce land assembly and earthwork costs.

Interestingly the consultation now puts the cost of a direct rail link at £350m to £400m according to a "study". Wonder if they'll release said study.

Clearly the cost benefit wouldn't work out if that's the true cost but given they previously estimated up to £100m then not sure if they know what they're doing.

Posted on another forum by Leeds City Councillor, Johnathan Taylor:-

Consultation opening on Monday for the proposed Parkway Station

The LBA Parkway is a West Yorkshire Combined Authority led scheme to provide a new rail station on the existing Harrogate Line, between Horsforth Station and the southern end of the Bramhope tunnel.

The objective of the Parkway Station is to ease current congestion and associated air quality issues by improving access by public transport and by encouraging fewer people to drive to the airport.

Further information on the scheme including details of how to get involved in the engagement will be available on the below webpage from Monday 18 January until 21 February.

https://www.yourvoice.westyorks-ca.gov.uk/login
Just completed the latest survey. This amount of investment, even though it links some of the benefits for the NW Business Hub, clearly is targeting the airport. I cannot conceive that all this investment is to support an effectively out of date airport and not the new terminal. Environmental pressure or not this would be economic suicide without the new scheme. Thoughts please.

There have been discussions at the committee around having direct trains to Harrogate in the future that originates other than Leeds, such as a Bradford -Leeds- Harrogate train which stops at LBA.

The parkway will only be attractive if passengers can alight at their local station and arrive at LBA without a change- in the same way as they do when travelling to/from MAN. We are already requiring them to compromise by accepting a bus link at LBA parkway. For example, if I wanted to travel from Dewsbury to an airport it would be easier to get the train to MAN than to LBA where a change would be required in Leeds. A very quick google suggests there are up to 40 trains a day from Dewsbury to MAN (sounds a lot so I may be wrong) The Parkway concept is not as good as a direct airport link so its important that the trains serving it come direct from as many places as possible and the opportunity the Parkway presents is maximised.
Just the same as from Scarborough and Malton. A direct link would be a clincher for LBA if MAN wasn't a more convenient option! It won't happen though I fear even if TPS could find enough passengers from our part of the world for early morning and late evening connections. So the car it is then.

Just completed the latest survey. This amount of investment, even though it links some of the benefits for the NW Business Hub, clearly is targeting the airport. I cannot conceive that all this investment is to support an effectively out of date airport and not the new terminal. Environmental pressure or not this would be economic suicide without the new scheme. Thoughts please.
I agree, to me its looking like one complete package, new terminal and rail station! Maybe lcc have seen sense!

There have been discussions at the committee around having direct trains to Harrogate in the future that originates other than Leeds, such as a Bradford -Leeds- Harrogate train which stops at LBA.
But the airport serves more than just West Yorkshire and Harrogate. At very least it should be serving the whole of the Yorkshire region.

I tend to agree. I see it as a potentially positive sign for the proposed terminal. I sincerely hope our hunch proves correct.
It maybe a positive sign, but I wouldn’t count our chickens yet, especially with a certain climate driven member of the plans panel liking anti airport tweets by a prominent protestor. This shows the thinking of some on the panel regardless of the arguments LBA put forward.

Sorry. Yes it does have capacity issues I assume because of the section of single track. Theres been serious discussion about doubling this section and also electrification. Given all the new housing going up along the route and planned to go up in the future I think both these things will happen.
Even as things stand there's no reason why trains can't start say in Middlesborough and end in Liverpool, this would still incorporate the York-Leeds sector whilst increasing the airports appeal to many more in its catchment.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock