Hey, two minutes ago someone is (rightly as it happens) suggesting that I am old enough to remember the Swinging Blue Jeans, and now Bigman is disagreeing with me over a post written by Aviador. :sad:

I think the Council are mad too. What this will do is stop drivers going through the villages, to some degree maybe, but it will put more traffic on the main roads that the Council never upgraded in 50 years and which they have been stating cannot cope now. I cannot imagine why anyone would go through Rawdon to get to the airport unless they were local. I too use Scotland Lane (now also covered in speed bumps) or Bayton Lane (taking my life in my hands every time). More speed bumps is the last thing the area needs. Apart from anything else, some of them are so high up they nearly rip the front damper off my pride and joy. Leeds Council has gone speed bump mad and as Aviador says, they are obviously now going to use the Airport as the 'excuse' to do this.

Its all the airports fault!!

Tony Hallowood stated on Look North tonight that the bus service to York will be back up and running for next summer. Looks like things are finally on the up!

I noticed the traffic survey cameras along Whitehouse Lane today, is this to do with weather a road link is needed from the A65 to the Airport or is it just for monitoring general traffic to/from the Airport?.

Leeds City Council carry out an annual survey at and around the airport. I think a member of LCC was working in the pick up / drop off area last week.

Welcome to Forums4airports T67A!

Over the last couple of weeks Leeds City Council have been replacing the street lighting on Harrogate Road. The new 'white' light makes a massive difference at night compared with the old orange sodium street lighting. Has anyone else noticed that as the road approaches the airport tunnel the lighting columns get shorter?

No, but I have noticed that street lights are generally shorter close to airport runways. Makes sense. Certainly the lights at the end of the runway at Birmingham are like that. Without wishing to appear 'old' again, some may remember that in the days before the runway extension, a British Airways Viscount 800 came in too low and actually removed the top of one lamp post on the Harrogate road with its undercarriage, so apparently those lights were not short enough!!

RE whitehouse Lane the hackney trade, have been denied a rank space due to the road not wide enough.and no plans to widen it for the foreseeable future,so any road infracstucture improvements are still years away....

bart said:
RE whitehouse Lane the hackney trade, have been denied a rank space due to the road not wide enough.and no plans to widen it for the foreseeable future,so any road infracstucture improvements are still years away....

Welcome to Forums4airports 'bart'. If you have anything to do with hackney carriage don't take this the wrong way but most of the taxis that use the airport seem to park where they like and this includes all the double yellow lines on White House Lane.

Personally I don't feel any sympathy for the black and white cab drivers who had become complacent with their contract with the airport. The 'general' service they provided prior to the change of contract was horrendous. Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights were particularly bad when the black & white cabs pretty much abandoned the airport to go work in town where the could 'rip off' revellers having a night out charging them 'off the meter fares' starting at £1.50 before you even left the taxi rank.

Again, the amount of times I counted more than thirty people queuing at the airport for what appeared to be just a couple of designated cars and then the passengers complaining to us about the service. Then not to forget Ramadan and Christmas when again the service was always either limited or non existent.

Hakney Carriage treated the contract with the airport with complete discontent and so deserved to loose the contract they had with the airport.

I entirely agree Aviador.I once stood in the taxi queue also with about 30 people and in driving rain. We were all soaked through. Taxis arrived about 1 every 5 minutes. I ran to the front and collared a driver. I asked what the hell was going on. The driver said he would radio the company. I also was pleased when they lost the contract with their rip off fares and surly drivers.
I personally have been crtical about Arrow in the past but now I must admit they have really got it sorted and very well organised.
Only complaint, why don't they take euros.

Thanks for the welcome totally agree with the attitude with some elements of the hackney trade,but my company uses one hackney company because they are cheaper than arrow to where i live.and for starting at £1.50 the ones i get in are £2.20 to start so i will look into that,those 'survey' cameras seem to me a bit more than that.maybe gathering info on the regular illegal parking on whitehouse lane,which hopefully when the airport gets more busier will put a stop to all that....

[textarea]Leeds Bradford Airport told cut staff car travel or face fines

LEEDS Bradford Airport bosses could face tough financial penalties if they fail to persuade more of their staff to get to work by car sharing or on public transport.

A travel plan drawn up for the airport sets targets to limit the number of single occupancy car journeys people make to get to work.

According to the plan presented to the council's west plans panel, by the end of 2012 at least 30 per cent of staff employed by the company that runs the airport should get to work using transport other than single occupancy car.

The proportion falls to 20 per cent for workers employed by other firms at the airport.

A report to the panel said: "It is evident that airport company staff are more likely to work 9am-5pm while other business partners work shift patterns where travel in any mode other than private car is difficult."

Panel members argued that sanctions were needed should the targets be missed and a system of financial penalties – sums to be agreed but they could potentially run into tens of thousands of pounds – is to be agreed.

The travel plan is part of a range of conditions and agreements which, when signed off, will allow formal approval of planning permission for a new £28m terminal extension at the airport expected to create up to 2,000 jobs.

The panel last month gave its backing to the scheme.

As part of the planning consent, a forecourt management plan will be drawn up to show how pick up and drop off points will work outside the expanded terminal. It will also indicate how long people will be allowed to pick up and drop off passengers.

Among many planning conditions, the airport will contribute up to £1m towards improved bus services and other transport measures. The phased payments will be triggered by higher passenger numbers and increases in traffic volumes linked to the airport.

A steering group is to be established to monitor activity at the airport and its impact on roads in the area. It will recommend how the payments should be spent, although the final decision will rest with Leeds City Council's chief planning officer.

Representatives from the airport, Metro and Leeds, Bradford, York and North Yorkshire councils will sit on the steering group.

Source[/textarea]

This is an interesting article. I would say that the Leeds West Planning panel are blowing too much hot air over this because very few people work for the airport authority, probably less than 200.

As the article goes on to say, the majority of the airport workforce work shift patterns. Most of the airport workforce travel to and from the airport outside the normal working hours of 9am and 5pm. It would be completely ridiculous to expect say a check-in agent who needs to be at work for as early as 03:30 to use public transport or to car share.

JP could perhaps give SA a lift to the airport though. :D

In theory anything that cuts back on road traffic volume anywhere is usually a good thing.

However, it is nonsensical to dictate how workers reach their places of employment unless it applies to everyone in the country and even then it would be unworkable.

More and more I am coming round to the view that the inmates are running the asylum.

Road works on the A658 from the 28 September for 4 weeks

The Council have issued a warning of possible delays on the A658 Victoria Avenue in Yeadon. The majority of the work to resurface the stretch of road between the airport and the Yeadon traffic lights is expected to be carried out at night.

People travelling to the airport should allow for possible delays.

At night!!!! How about in the middle of the day on a Saturday causing total chaos!!!!! Not very well thought out that one.

That work wasn't even part of the forthcoming works. I got stuck in that jam, what a nightmare!

The roadworks outside the airport on the roundabout are a complete nightmare. I was qued up there at 2200 last night waited nearly 20 mins for our side (airport) to go green.

Thanks for that 'Type Rated B767' I finish at 22:00 tonight. Would you suggest going down Scotland Lane instead?

Aviador said:
Thanks for that 'Type Rated B767' I finish at 22:00 tonight. Would you suggest going down Scotland Lane instead?

Probably yes. At the peak times, and especially employee changeover times as we call them im thinking its going to be a nightmare. How long are they planned to be there do you know?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock