OK, bedtime reading!! My cunning plan for a fixed rail solution…Tram Trains running a route as follows:

Leeds – Airport Section - to incorporate street level running in Leeds City Centre

City Square (Terminus)
Park Row (South Parade)
Headrow (Dortmund Square)
Vicar Lane (Victoria Gate)
Boar Lane (Trinity)
New Station Street (Leeds City Station)
Wellington Street (Central Square)
City Island
Armley Road
Burley Park (interchange with Northern Rail)
Headingley (Carnegie Stadium)
Headingley (Kirkstall Lane) (interchange with Northern Rail)
Hawksworth Wood (new park-and-ride on the Ring Road)
Horsforth (interchange with LNER and Northern Rail)
Leeds Bradford Airport

Airport – Bradford Section - to incorporate street level running in Bradford City Centre

Leeds Bradford Airport
Airport West Business Park
High Royds (new park-and-ride next to the A65)
Guiseley (interchange with Northern Rail)
Esholt
Baildon (interchange with Northern Rail)
Shipley (interchange with LNER and Northern Rail)
Frizinghall (interchange with Northern Rail)
Valley Parade (for Utilita Energy Stadium)
Forster Square (interchange with LNER and Northern Rail)
Market Street
Norfolk Gardens
Bradford Interchange (interchange with Grand Central and Northern Rail)

Bradford – Leeds Section – to incorporate street level running in Leeds City Centre

Bradford Interchange (interchange with Grand Central and Northern Rail)
Wakefield Road
(Depot to be based at Hammerton Street)
Laisterdyke (for Leeds Odeon)
New Pudsey (interchange with Northern Rail)
Stanningley (for Owlcotes Centre)
Bramley (interchange with Northern Rail)
Armley Heights
Armley Moor
Copley Hill
City Island
Wellington Street (Central Square)
City Square (Terminus)

So that’s direct fixed-rail services from both Leeds and Bradford, with good interchanges at Shipley and Horsforth. This would also make use of the extensive parking available at New Pudsey, with new park-and-ride facilities also proving useful.

It would also make it a damn sight easier to get to both Headingley and Valley Parade on match days and take loads of cars off the road.

And one of the biggest benefits would be that Bradford finally gets it’s railway lines linked up.

The current single track section between Guiseley and Shipley would need to be doubled again and the redundant second platform at Baildon reinstated. As they have done at Rotherham Central, you would need to extend all existing rail platforms where there would be interchanges with new low-height platforms to provide seamless interchanges.

At the end of the day the technology is now proven and working thanks to Supertram, so let’s just get on and do it!!

Nothing will ever connect if Northern Rail (Arriva DB) are still operating the franchise if and when the Airport Parkway station eventually opens due to late running or cancelled trains which has now become the norm.
Saying that it dose look like the Transport Secretary, Grant Shapps will strip current operator Northern Rail of its franchise by the end of this month with the possibility it maybe re-nationalised.

Yesterday I got the train to Sheffield...just 36 miles. Proved to be an awful frequency, hardly any of the trains do first class or pre bookable seats, and it took 1 hr 20 mins. Sadly it says a lot about our region where it is far easier to get by train to the other side of the Pennines ( far quicker with better frequency to Manchester and Liverpool) than another city in Yorkshire. Somewhere along the line, as a region, we allowed this to happen.

At some point the Northern service from Leeds to Nottingham is going to be diverted to operate via Wakefield Westgate and the Moorthorpe route. This will vastly speed up the Nottingham service and also give a second much faster train alongside the current hourly Cross Country service. The 195's also have mice tables..but take a cushion with you...ride quality is awful!!

So the new terminal is closer to the parkway station....yes but by not by much it will still be a mile and a half away. the train needs to stop at the airport otherwise its a waste of money in my opinion.
I would love to see the new terminal built but I will believe it when I'm sat in there having a large cold beer.
Nowhere near a mile and a half away Offnt, not sure where you get that from. I live in this area and can assure you it is a lot closer than that from where the station will be built to the terminal. A mile and a half away would be virtually at Horsforth!

Nowhere near a mile and a half away Offnt, not sure where you get that from. I live in this area and can assure you it is a lot closer than that from where the station will be built to the terminal. A mile and a half away would be virtually at Horsforth!

1.3 miles door to door from the proposed parkway station site and proposed new terminal front. This assumes the new link road in the plan between teh station and Scotland Lane and assuming shortest distance between Scotland Lane across the existing car parks.

So the new terminal is closer to the parkway station....yes but by not by much it will still be a mile and a half away. the train needs to stop at the airport otherwise its a waste of money in my opinion.
I would love to see the new terminal built but I will believe it when I'm sat in there having a large cold beer.

As I suspected Offnt, you are some way off the mark with this claim. I have been on google map, and measured the distance between where the Parkway Station is planned to go, and where the new terminal is planned to be built, and the distance is 0.77 miles - so roughly half of what you are claiming. If anyone prefers metres, it is 1250m in a straight line - and as they would be building a new access road, a straight line is more than likely what they will build.

0.43 miles from station site to Scotland Lane based on what was proposed.
0.77 miles along Scotland Lane
0.1 mile from Scotland Lane across the car parks to the new terminal front (assuming the most direct route between the two points)

= 1.3 miles total distance

If it doesn’t go into or next to the airport WH it’s too far away in my opinion. This is a chance in a lifetime for LBA to get this 100% right (forget the runway for now fight2win)...imagine a family with kids or disabled people getting off a train with suitcases then getting onto a bus for a short journey to then take it all off again....pain in the arse it is.
So exactly how far is this Parkway Station now the terminal might be moved 800yds closer to it?

I have measured it exactly on google map and is 1250 metres - or 0.77 miles - about half of what you claimed.

From what I have seen and read, a direct train link simply cannot be built - end of. Not sure why us getting a new terminal is seen as a reason why this fact is overlooked. All parties wanted a direct train link and all parties understood that it wasn't viable - short of developing a rack and pinion railways system. Perhaps we should import some of that type of train from Switzerland just so they can run half a mile up to the airport? The terminal is still significantly higher up than the railway which is already in a deep cutting heading into Bramhope Tunnel, so climbing that distance in just over half a mile is not going to happen, even in a cutting. I hate to say it but we are talking about an airport with ambitions to have 7m passengers per year here, so whatever scheme they come up with has to be financially viable. Cost v Benefit and all that. Building a heavy rail link in a cutting which would have to be a dead end, will make no financial sense for the numbers who would use it, because it would be a rail terminus - there wouldn't/couldn't be through trains. Sorry but it just isn't viable unless they bring in the use of tram trains similar to those now in use in South Yorkshire - and somehow I think they will struggle with that too given we now have 3 Northern Trains an hour in each direction on that line with a number of LNER trains through to Kings Cross too.

Don't get me wrong - I wish we could have a direct train as much as anyone else, but the experts say can't be done, so unless some other experts come along with a cheap system that actually can be done, it isn't going to happen. For me, the big hope would be that since there is a general agreement with regard to building the employment hub at LBA, that, together with the airport, might be seen as an attractive destination for any next generation transport system that Leeds might get. Who knows, I might even live to see it!

I find it hard to imagine that getting off a train and onto a bus even with a family and suitcases is a "pain in the arse". People do it all the time when travelling, you take the car to the Long Stay car park and jump on a bus to get to the terminal, you may well do it at the other end when picking up the hire car. The buses themselves are equipped to allow easy movement of cases and bags and then you are dropped off right outside the terminal... what could be easier? And it is free! Ideally a train that goes right into the terminal, eg Stansted, is preferable but we have to live in the real world.

1.3 miles door to door from the proposed parkway station site and proposed new terminal front. This assumes the new link road in the plan between teh station and Scotland Lane and assuming shortest distance between Scotland Lane across the existing car parks.
Where do you get that from KARFA?? It is nowhere near. As I just posted it is 0.77 miles in a straight line, as per google maps. (or 1250 metres). The Parkway Station is proposed to go at the entrance to the Bramhope Tunnel, not in Horsforth! As the airport own the land to the NW of Scotland Lane, they can just build an access road to the terminal so that transfer buses can more or less travel in a straight line to the terminal. They shouldn't need to go all the way down Scotland Lane and then double back to go to the terminal.

Last edited:
Where is the proposed Parkway section of the Bramhope tunnel please? Where the chimney is ? I'm struggling to picture where it is.

Just to answer you question @Heathrowflyer here is the distance between the new planned £150 million Terminal Building and the Proposed Airport Parkway Rail station shown on a map for you to prove @White Heather is correct with he map readings..

_20200115_192707.png

Last edited:
If this was Switzerland there would be a funicular DLR type arrangement which you get onto and are delivered directly to the terminal building - electrically powered and sitting comfortably with the footprint aim - surely at less than smile this needs costing as some of the DLR includes look more like roller coaster rides!

If this was Switzerland there would be a funicular DLR type arrangement which you get onto and are delivered directly to the terminal building - electrically powered and sitting comfortably with the footprint aim - surely at less than smile this needs costing as some of the DLR includes look more like roller coaster rides!

The optics of having, possibly one of the most modern and greenest terminals in the UK.....to only have rail passengers ferried by busses seem contradicting!! Electrical seems logical. As Count Carter said last week...we need an "ambitious” solutions "

The optics of having, possibly one of the most modern and greenest terminals in the UK.....to only have rail passengers ferried by busses seem contradicting!! Electrical seems logical. As Count Carter said last week...we need an "ambitious” solutions "
We do - and in the short term it may turn out to be electric shuttle buses - but we cannot wait for this ambitious solution. We need to get the terminal built first and then sort out something more ambitious, because you can be sure that such a scheme won't be ready in 3 years time!

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock