I see the Bristol Post has been up to their usual tricks of slating the airport at every opportunity over the last week or so.

Passengers on Ireland flight grounded at Bristol Airport

Flights from Bristol Airport at risk of cancellation or delays

Potholes so deep on the road around Bristol Airport

Bristol Airport travellers' holidays ruined as jet fuel is sprayed

Every airport has it's fair share of drama but it's generally not flaunted around the internet so freely as the Bristol post does. Clearly the majority of this is click bate rather than providing a decent news service.

If anybody would like to create a positive news story about Bristol airport and place it on the Bristol Airport - General thread, I'll place it on the forum homepage with a positive headline and I'll promote it on twitter with hashtags of your desire.

Bristol Post and Bristol Airport

There have been ongoing comments about the negativity towards Bristol Airport often portrayed in the Trinity Mirror-owned Bristol Post. This newspaper doesn’t seem to have a business correspondent or business editor who is prepared to proactively research and discuss the airport, especially its position as both a driver and mirror of the local economy.

Instead it relies on airport press releases which it invariably publishes verbatim but with one of its reporters as the apparent author. These are the only occasions when the airport might be shown in some sort of positive light. Another method is to set their (mainly young) reporters surfing the Internet, both social media and the airport’s own web site, to try to dig out what are invariably matters that are not to the airport’s credit. Typical of this are the days when weather or other circumstances conspire to divert aircraft to other airports, yet the Bristol Post never reports those occasions when other airports are closed and Bristol receives inbound diversions.

In 2009, the last time that Bristol Airport saw a reduction in passenger numbers, the Post would report monthly on yet another fall in passenger numbers, and this was under the previous newspaper ownership. Since then Bristol has been the only UK top ten airport to see annual passenger number rises every year from 2010 onwards yet the Post remains blissfully silent on each monthly gain year after year. I’m just waiting for the first month to show a decrease and can almost guarantee that the Post’s intrepid Internet explorers will discover this juicy titbit through the airport facts and figures website section and highlight the drop.

The third way the Post writes about the airport is in publishing complaints made directly to it from aggrieved passengers about some subject or other.

Unfortunately, the local tv and radio news people do very little proactively regarding the airport either, although they don’t seem as uniformly negative as the Post.

So is Bristol Airport as bad as the local paper often seems to suggest? I’ve been using it as a passenger for over 40 years from the days it was a tiny airfield with very few flights. It’s not perfect - nowhere near - and anyway perfection is subjective and in the eyes of the beholder. I’ve yet to find the perfect airport and I doubt that I ever will.

Bristol Airport was dealt a poor hand by the city council in the 1950s, moving one problem at Whitchurch to another at Lulsgate. The Lulsgate site is constricted with too short a runway; is set amongst the Green Belt; it suffers from poor weather and inadequate surface connectivity.

Yet its growth of the past 20 years almost defies belief and gives Topsy a run for her money, albeit the airport’s growth is more controlled. From 500,000 passengers a year 30 years ago, from two million at the beginning of the century to the current 8.2 million which will likely be well over 8.5 million by the end of this year, with management now looking at 15-20 million a year by the 2040s, the only barrier will be the airport itself.

Because of its runway limitations and management’s reluctance extend it Bristol will almost certainly remain primarily a short-haul airport, unless future technology brings about VTOL or STOL airliners. Even as a short-haul airport it will need expansion into the surrounding Green Belt to enable room to be found for 15-20 million passengers a year, yet that would mean some form of dilution of the Green Belt. The airport recognises this dichotomy in its master plan consultation document, the first responses to which are now being collated and studied.

There is no doubt whatever that Bristol punches well above its weight, particularly having regard to its physical limitations. Its success is due in part to the quality of its senior management in the past, and the hard work of those further down the pecking order. I sense a subtle switch in recent years to bringing in more ‘corporate’ people in the higher levels of management. I am sure they are very capable in their own fields and I hope they have aviation in their blood a characteristic that has served the airport so well for so long.

Bristol Airport is very fortunate in serving one of the most economically vibrant city regions in the UK and also has many often older leisure travellers within its catchment with the means, time and desire to travel. It also sits conveniently near a national motorway and rail ‘crossroads’ (although not so near as to make surface connectivity simple) and is able to attract substantial numbers of passengers from other sub-regions. Bristol Airport’s critical mass has led to the economy of scale that has attracted airlines. Barbara Cassani, CEO of GoFly, made that very point and Bristol Airport was fortunate that GoFly became part of easyJet, the airline that carries over 50% of Bristol’s passenger traffic. There is an ever present risk though of relying too heavily on one customer.

An incontrovertible fact is that Bristol Airport has a much bigger route network than some airports that serve considerably larger populations, although it's served by relatively few airlines. It has had first-class senior management and supportive owners (who are rewarded by owning an extremely profitable airport) for many years and in some aviation quarters is looked upon almost as a model of what a small airport can be.

It cannot stand on its laurels so let us hope that the new master plan when published in final form will turn out to be as accurate as the current one which is now over a decade old. It showed remarkable prescience in many of its projections especially (at the time) a jaw-dropping forecast as to how far passenger numbers would rise but, as with stocks and shares, past success is no guide to the future.

My conclusion is that the Bristol Post does not serve its local airport well and in a sense it undermines it. Too often its negative stance leads local people, most of whom have no general interest in aviation, to really believe that their airport is no more than a fogbound airstrip in a field deep in the countryside with few flights. This perception is regularly reflected in public comments when the airport features in one of the Post's 'articles'.

Let’s have informed and reasoned criticism by all means, but let it be balanced and in context. I’d love to read well-researched articles about the airport in the local press and local tv/radio, but unfortunately the local news media seems unable or unwilling to provide such debate.

#BristolPostandBristolAirport #bristolairport #bristolpost #positivelybristol

I do wonder if it's because of the success of the airport? It does seem to me that people don't like to acknowledge success and would rather criticise than be fair.

I do wonder if it's because of the success of the airport? It does seem to me that people don't like to acknowledge success and would rather criticise than be fair.
It is a characteristic of the human race that bad news is often considered more interesting than good. Newspaper editors and executives have been known to say that bad news sells newspapers more readily than good.

Media Wales Ltd which includes WalesOnline is also owned by Trinity Mirror, yet it manages to produce discussion and debate about Cardiff Airport on a regular basis, and its business editor seems very supportive of that airport.

There is also the saying, and it has more than a grain of truth, that if we experience a good experience as a consumer we might tell someone about it but if the experience is bad we'll tell ten people. In aviation circles Skytrax is a good example of this where complaints easily outnumber praise.

Quick report.
Having just returned from a weeks hols to ACE and not having used the airport for about 18mts now I must say it was a very easy and trouble free dep and return, We did spoil ourselves a bit on the outward part with prem parking, a fast track and the service lounge. On the return we touched down at 6.10pm (after a quick 3hrs 20min flight) and were out and setting off home by 6.55pm and that was waiting for luggage as well. In all it seemed a quick and easy process, going and returning. Marks out of 10 I would have to give it 9.5 so well done Bristol Airport.

Quick report.
Having just returned from a weeks hols to ACE and not having used the airport for about 18mts now I must say it was a very easy and trouble free dep and return, We did spoil ourselves a bit on the outward part with prem parking, a fast track and the service lounge. On the return we touched down at 6.10pm (after a quick 3hrs 20min flight) and were out and setting off home by 6.55pm and that was waiting for luggage as well. In all it seemed a quick and easy process, going and returning. Marks out of 10 I would have to give it 9.5 so well done Bristol Airport.
I'm glad you had a good experience. My next anticipated use of the airport is June this year with a short hop to Dublin with Ryanair. I last used BRS in September 2017 to Glasgow and back, and the experience was good, albeit outbound was mid afternoon which is a bit quieter than the peak times of course.

Which airline did you use for ACE?

Tui on the trusty old 757, it will be a shame when they take them out of service, always seemed a good fit for pax numbers off the compact runway.

Tui on the trusty old 757, it will be a shame when they take them out of service, always seemed a good fit for pax numbers off the compact runway.
I like the 757. Have certainly had a fair number of trips in them down the years: Thomson/TUI and Monarch from BRS and BA from LHR; did one on the old Northwest in the USA between Phoenix and Minneapolis once too. I know it's always a subjective view but I think the 757 is one of the better looking airliners.

BRS press release today.

https://www.bristolairport.co.uk/ab...018/4/world-route-development-conference-2018

The press release confirms that over 8.6 million passengers are expected through the airport this year which will be 8.7 million in CAA-speak because of the different ways the stats are published.

Bristol Airport attends global aviation conference
Created: 19th Apr 2018

A team from Bristol Airport is promoting the South West at the World Route Development Conference in Bilbao this week (22 -24 April). The conference provides an annual opportunity for the world’s top airlines and airports to explore potential new route opportunities.

Key criteria when considering new services is the economic strength of the region an airport serves, as well as its potential to attract inbound tourists. Over thirty meetings with airlines from around the world is arranged over the course of the two-day event. A presentation highlighting the South West’s iconic tourist attractions from across the region, and the benefits of using a regional airport will be shown.

The Airport is already well progressed with plans for further growth in 2019 and beyond. Building on the success of a range of new services in 2018 will see the Airport deliver over 8.6 million passengers and become one of the UK’s fastest growing airports.

Nigel Scott, Business Development Director, Bristol Airport, said:

“This conference gives us the chance to showcase Bristol Airport and the region to airlines from across the world. It is an important opportunity to develop long-term relationships with potential airline partners. By bringing the South West to life in our presentation we hope to create a lasting impression which will encourage airlines to consider Bristol Airport in the future.

“We will also be meeting airlines which already operate at Bristol Airport to discuss additional frequencies on existing services, with a view to increasing flexibility for business passengers.”

They have not mentioned about these route conferences for a while have they since a big fuss over in Chicago if I recall. Is there cause for optimism this time or some media fill time ?

They have not mentioned about these route conferences for a while have they since a big fuss over in Chicago if I recall. Is there cause for optimism this time or some media fill time ?
As you know the airport used to make a point of telling everyone they were going to these conferences and shortly after their return optimistic noises would be made. I don't know whether the likes of WOW or Wizz came from the conferences. I do know that after one about three years ago the airport said they were in advanced talks with an airline to restore the NYC link with the impression clearly given that it was just a matter of signing on the dotted line , or whatever they do with such contracts.

We know it didn't happen. Whether that has provoked more circumspection with such things I don't know. I would prefer actual announcements rather than speculative ones. If there is nothing specifc to report why not keep the powder dry untll there is?

So your guess is as good as mine as to whether anything can be read into today's announcement. My gut feeling is that it's merely an announcement telling people the airport is out there pushing the cause of the South West's economy and will be talking to airlines. I do note the comment about talking to existing airlines to improve frequency and thus greater flexibility for business travellers. Some of us on F4A have been pushing that line.

Yes we certainly have been talking about frequency increases haven't we. Let's hope for some positive news

Schedule for Summer 2019

This is a summary of all flights from BRS this summer showing the number of rotations per airline to each destination every week. Where there is more than one rotation in a day on any route I’ve indicated the maximum number per airline.

Some routes don’t operate all summer and not all airlines operate the indicated maximum daily number of rotations for the entire season.

I’ve not attempted to differentiate between scheduled and charter carriers - the distinction is not always clear on some routes anyway - and I’ve shown the carrier rather than any tour company where this applies. I hope I haven't missed out anything. Please let me know if I have.

I will copy this to the BRS Overview thread as a reference point.

Austria

Vienna: easyJet (2 x weekly);

Innsbruck: Flybe (1 x weekly)

Balearic Islands

Ibiza: easyJet (4 x weekly); TUI Air (4 x weekly); Ryanair (3 x weekly); Thomas Cook Air (1 x weekly); British Airways CityFlyer (1 x weekly)

Mahon: easyJet (4 x weekly); TUI Air (2 x weekly); Thomas Cook Air (2 x weekly)

Palma: easyJet (17 x weekly, up to 3 x daily); Ryanair (10 x weekly, up to 2 x daily); TUI Air (5 x weekly, up to 2 x daily); Thomas Cook Air (3 x weekly); British Airways CityFlyer (1 x weekly)

Belgium

Brussels: bmi regional (17 x weekly, up to 3 x daily)

Bulgaria

Burgas: TUI Air (2 x weekly); Thomas Cook Air (1 x weekly); BH Air (1 x weekly)

Canary Islands

Fuerteventura: easyJet (2 x weekly); Thomas Cook Air (2 x weekly); TUI Air (1 x weekly)

Gran Canaria: Ryanair (2 x weekly); TUI Air (2 x weekly); Thomas Cook Air (1 x weekly)

Lanzarote: Ryanair (3 x weekly); easyJet (2 x weekly); TUI Air (2 x weekly); Thomas Cook Air (2 x weekly)

Tenerife: easyJet (4 x weekly); Ryanair (3 x weekly); TUI Air (2 x weekly); Thomas Cook Air (2 x weekly)

Cape Verde

Sal: TUI Air (1 x weekly)

Croatia

Dubrovnik: easyJet (2 x weekly); TUI Air (2 x weekly)

Pula: easyJet (2 x weekly); TUI Air (2 x weekly)

Split: easyJet (5 x weekly)

Cyprus

Larnaca: TUI Air (2 x weekly); Thomas Cook Air (2 x weekly)

Paphos: easyJet (3 x weekly); TUI Air (2 x weekly); Thomas Cook Air (1 x weekly)

Czech Republic

Prague: easyJet (6 x weekly)

Denmark

Copenhagen: easyJet (4 x weekly)

Dominican Republic

Punta Cana: TUI (1 x weekly)

Egypt

Hurghada: TUI Air (1 x weekly); Thomas Cook Air (1 x weekly)

France

Bergerac: Ryanair (2 x weekly)

Beziers: Ryanair (3 x weekly)

Bordeaux: easyJet (5 x weekly)

La Rochelle: easyJet (2x weekly)

Limoges: Ryanair (2 x weekly)

Marseille: easyJet (3 x weekly)

Nantes: easyJet (3 x weekly)

Nice: easyJet (10 x weekly, up to 2 x daily)

Paris CDG: bmi regional (14 x weekly, up to 3 x daily); easyJet (7 x weekly)

Toulouse: easyJet (7 x weekly)

Germany

Berlin Schoenfeld: easyJet (7 x weekly)

Cologne: Ryanair (4 x weekly)

Dusseldorf: bmi regional (6 x weekly)

Frankfurt: bmi regional (18 x weekly, up to 3 x daily)

Hamburg: bmi regional (6 x weekly)

Munich: bmi regional (13 x weekly, up to 2 x daily)

Greece

Athens: easyJet (2 x weekly)

Corfu: easyJet (3 x weekly); TUI Air (3 x weekly); Thomas Cook Air (2 x weekly)

Crete-Heraklion: easyJet (2 x weekly); TUI Air (2 x weekly); Thomas Cook Air (1 x weekly)

Crete-Chania: Ryanair (2 x weekly); TUI Air (1 x weekly)

Kefalonia: easyJet (2 x weekly); TUI Air (1 x weekly); Thomas Cook Air (1 x weekly)

Kos: TUI Air (2 x weekly); Thomas Cook Air (1 x weekly)

Preveza: Thomas Cook Air (1 x weekly)

Rhodes: TUI Air (3 x weekly, up to 2 x daily); Thomas Cook Air (1 x weekly)

Santorini: TUI Air (1 x weekly)

Skiathos: TUI Air (1 x weekly); Thomas Cook Air (1 x weekly)

Zakynthos: Thomas Cook Air (4 x weekly); TUI Air (3 x weekly); easyJet (1 x weekly)

Gibraltar

Gibraltar: easyJet (3 x weekly)

Hungary

Budapest: Ryanair (3 x weekly)

Italy

Bologna: Ryanair (2 x weekly)

Catania: easyJet (2 x weekly)

Florence: British Airways CityFlyer (1 x weekly)

Genoa: easyJet (2 x weekly)

Milan Bergamo: Ryanair (3 x weekly)

Milan Malpensa: bmi regional (2 x weekly)

Naples: easyJet (3 x weekly); TUI Air (2 x weekly)

Pisa: easyJet (7 x weekly)

Rome Fiumicino: easyJet (7 x weekly)

Venice Marco Polo: easyJet (7 x weekly); Ryanair (4 x weekly)

Verona: TUI Air (1 x weekly)

Lithuania

Kaunas: Ryanair (3 x weekly)

Madeira

Funchal: easyJet (2 x weekly)

Malta

Malta: Ryanair (3 x weekly); Air Malta (1 x weekly); Thomas Cook Air (1 x weekly)

Mexico

Cancun: TUI Air (1 x weekly)

Netherlands

Amsterdam: KLM Cityhopper (28 x weekly, 4 x daily); easyJet (12 x weekly, up to 2 x daily)

Poland

Gdansk: Ryanair (3 x weekly)

Katowice: Wizz Air (3 x weekly)

Krakow: easyJet (4 x weekly); Ryanair (3x weekly)

Poznan: Ryanair (2 x weekly)

Rzeszow: Ryanair (2 x weekly)

Warsaw Modlin: Ryanair (4 x weekly)

Wroclaw: Ryanair (2 x weekly)

Portugal

Faro: easyJet (16 weekly, up to 3 x daily); Ryanair (7 x weekly); TUI Air (1 x weekly)

Lisbon: easyJet (5 x weekly)

Porto: easyJet (3 x weekly)

Romania

Bucharest: Ryanair (2 x weekly)

Sardinia

Olbia: easyJet (3 x weekly); bmi regional (1 x weekly)

Spain Mainland

Alicante: easyJet (14 x weekly, 2 x daily); Ryanair (10 x weekly, up to 2 x daily); TUI Air (1 x weekly)

Almeria: Thomas Cook Air (1 x weekly)

Barcelona: easyJet (14 x weekly, 2 x daily)

Bilbao: easyJet (3 x weekly)

Girona: Ryanair (5 x weekly); TUI Air (1 x weekly); Thomas Cook Air (1 x weekly)

Madrid: easyJet (7 x weekly)

Malaga: easyJet (16 x weekly, up to 3 x daily); Ryanair (8 x weekly, up to 2 x daily); TUI Air (2 x weekly); British Airways CityFlyer (2 x weekly)

Murcia: easyJet (7 x weekly)

Reus: Ryanair (1 x weekly); TUI Air (1 x weekly)

Seville: easyJet (2 x weekly)

Valencia: Ryanair (2 x weekly)

Sweden

Gothenburg: bmi regional (2 x weekly)

Stockholm Arlanda: easyJet (2 x weekly)

Switzerland

Geneva: easyJet (10 x weekly, up to 2 x daily)

Basel: easyJet (4 x weekly)

Tunisia

Enfidha: TUI Air (1 x weekly)

Turkey

Antalya: Thomas Cook Air (5 x weekly); TUI Air (1 x weekly)

Bodrum: easyJet (3 x weekly); TUI Air (1 x weekly)

Dalaman: Thomas Cook Air (6 x weekly); easyJet (3 x weekly); TUI Air (2 x weekly)

USA

Orlando Sanford: TUI Air (1 x weekly)

UK and Republic of Ireland

Newcastle: easyJet (14 x weekly, up to 3 x daily)

Isle of Man: easyJet (2 x weekly)

Guernsey: Aurigny (7 x weekly)

Jersey: Blue Islands, as Flybe franchise partner (9 x weekly, up to 2 x daily)

Belfast International: easyJet (17 x weekly, up to 3 x daily)

Aberdeen: bmi regional (5 x weekly)

Edinburgh: easyJet (25 x weekly, up to 5 x daily)

Glasgow: easyJet (22 x weekly, up to 4 x daily)

Inverness: easyJet (7 x weekly)

Cork: Aer Lingus Regional (7 x weekly)

Dublin: Aer Lingus Regional (21 x weekly, up to 4 x daily); Ryanair (20 x weekly, up to 3 x daily)

Knock: Ryanair (3 x weekly)

Shannon: Ryanair (2 x weekly)

Further to #1058, this a broad, approximate breakdown in the percentage share of flights per week (not seats).

easyJet 48%
Ryanair 17%
bmi regional 11%
TUI 8%
Thomas Cook 6%
Aer Lingus Regional 3.5%
KLM C'hopper 3.5%
Others (Flybe, BACityFlyer, BH Air, Air Malta, Wizz Air and Aurigny) 3%

Two airlines provide two-thirds of the flights each week.

BRS press release. https://www.bristolairport.co.uk/ab...18/5/bristol-airport-bath-city-fc-sponsorship

Not exactly Manchester City but Bristol Airport won a draw to become Bath City FC's main shirt sponsor for next season.

I have a feeling that bmi regional has some sort of partnership with Bath Rugby Club and Somerset County Cricket Club.

Bristol Airport is the new Bath City FC shirt sponsor for season 2018-2019

Created: 17th May 2018

Following the Bath City FC shirt sponsorship draw, in the TR Hayes Premier Lounge at Twerton Park on 16th May, Bath City Football Club are delighted to announce the winner of the draw was Bristol Airport.

180518-bath-city-sponsorship.ashx

Nigel Scott, Business Development Director, Bristol Airport said:

‘We are delighted to have been selected as Bath City’s Football Club shirt sponsor for the coming season. We know we were up against strong, local competition for this highly prized draw. We look forward to developing the partnership with Bath City Football Club over the next year.’

The photograph shows Bristol Airport’s Nigel Scott (right) with Dan Mills, Business Development and Relationship Manager.

Bristol Airport’s logo will be display be on the front of Bath City’s first team home and away shirts for the coming season.

Second prize was won by Solicitors Own Software, whose managing director is ex-City player Graham Colbourne, who will have their name on the back of the shirts for next season. Third prize was won by Bath Chef de Party who will have their company name on the shorts. Bath Chef de Party is owned by Dave Mott who used to own Tilleys Bistro.

Other prize winners were Media Clash, TBKS and St Michael’s Chiropractic Clinic
The club would like to thank the 70 entrants in the draw and look forward to their further involvement in the coming season. All entrants will be part of the new Bath City FC Sponsors Club for season 2018-2019.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/loads-police-bristol-airport-1610542

Why there are loads of police at Bristol Airport

There was a large police presence in the BRS departure lounge today in connection with Operation Servator which is designed to combat all types of crime including smuggling and terrorism. The operation involved a range of police resources, including uniform and plain clothes officers as well as dogs.

Today's exercise was part of a nationwide operation that involves heavy police presences at transport hubs to deter and detect criminals, as well as providing a reassurance to the public.

Bristol Airport Welcomes Government Support for Making Best Use of Existing Runway Capacity

Bristol Airport has welcomed the Government’s confirmation of its support for airports throughout the UK making best use of their existing runways.

Simon Earles, Planning & Sustainability Director at Bristol Airport, said:
“The Government recognises that aviation matters more than ever in providing the connectivity the country needs. By providing clear policy support for airports with plans for sustainable growth, the Government has given lift-off to regions like the South West where demand for air travel is forecast to increase.

“The next challenge is to deliver better connections to the road and rail network, making it easier for passengers across the UK to access their local airport. Air travel should be part of an integrated transport network, and enhancing surface links is key to unlocking the full economic potential of regional airports by making best use of existing capacity.”

Bristol Airport is currently preparing a new Master Plan which will set out potential development required to handle up to 20 million passengers per annum from the existing runway by the mid-2040s. The first phase of this growth will be facilitated through the submission of a planning application to our local authority later this year. Currently the ninth busiest airport in the UK, and the fifth largest outside London, Bristol Airport handled 8.1 million passengers in 2017. Existing planning permission is already in place for facilities to handle up to ten million passengers a year, but this capacity is expected to be reached early in the next decade as demand for air travel to and from the South West of the UK continues to rise.

Bristol Airport

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock