TheLocalYokel

Honorary Member Of Forums4airports
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
Updated for 2010.

Love the feature article TheLocalYokel, such an interesting read. Its very interesting to see how your passenger numbers are distrubuted across the network of routes BRS has to offer.

• Admin
Thank you very much.

It's rather a long item but I hope it will be regarded as a source document for anyone interested in the nuts and bolts of the history and services at BRS.

As I'm retired I am lucky in having the time to devote to things that interest me, and regional aviation, especially in the South West and South Wales, is one of those things.

• Admin
I've updated and edited the BRS Overview (see above) which now includes carriers and routes for 2011 (so far as is known), and 2010 passenger figures broken down route by route.

I love your route by route breakdown.

I just wouldn't have time to do that so thank you, it's much appreciated!

• Admin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1zza4TQ9t0

The above link leads to a 4-minute film that depicts the history of Bristol Airport. It's shown on a continuous loop in the landside arrivals area at BRS.

There is no commentary or sound, just sub-titles.

I like the formal dining room with waitresses in starched uniforms. Can't see that being too popular these days.

Performing routes:

Taking a quick snapshot at some of the best routes between Jan - Sep 2011 they are as follows:

ABZ - 23,015 (YTD) 2010 total: 22,668
IOS - 3,278 (YTD) 2010 total: 3,024
SZG - 20,098 (YTD) 2010 total: 15,062
CMF - 14,231 (YTD) 2010 total: 10,791
LYS - 5,925 (YTD) 2010 total: 1,174
NAP - 18,587 (YTD) 2010 total: 9,034
FAO - 176,214 (YTD) 2010 total: 170,623
IBZ - 53,129 (YTD) 2010 total: 33,558
FUE - 52,550 (YTD) 2010 total: 42,048
PUY - 9,124 (YTD) 2010 total: 8,131
BJV - 41,391 (YTD) 2010 total: 41,051
KUN - 25,645 (YTD) 2010 total: 22,877
GDN - 26,500 (YTD) 2010 total: 25,877

Figures based on CAA Stats!

There are numerous other routes that I can see will surpass their 2010 totals, but some positive figures to look at here with another 3 months of figures to come! Well done BRS!!! :smile:

alphagolf

Great figures alphagolf does this period still take into account the Volcano eruption chaos when comparing them with last year?

I've carried out my latest update of the Overview at the beginning of this thead to take account of recent events at the airport and the winter 2011-2012 programme.

A very comprehensive review of operations excellent presented. I like the overhead picture of the airport, never seen that before. :hatsoff:

Thank you.

I can't claim the credit for the picture though. Aviador found it.

The picture does give a flavour of the rural nature of the place though, sometimes rather unkindly described by local critics as an airstrip in a field.

TheLocalYokel said:
Thank you.

I can't claim the credit for the picture though. Aviador found it.

The picture does give a flavour of the rural nature of the place though, sometimes rather unkindly described by local critics as an airstrip in a field.

I've only been near the airport once and that was one winter morning about 12 years ago as I was on my way to see a client. It was freezing and, if I recall correctly, was foggy too and it did give me the impression of being an 'airstrip in the middle of a field'. A remote field to boot! I distinctly remember thinking "who in their right mind would want to fly from here?"

From you excellent report earlier the owners/management took the bull by the horns and decided to do something about it. And well done to them.

They wouldn't care to export some of that get up and go to LBA would they? Just a thought.

They wouldn't care to export some of that get up and go to LBA would they? Just a thought.

It's funny you should say that.

John Parkin was CEO and Tony Hallwood was Aviation Director at BRS during some of the frenetic growth there. JP was at the helm when they attracted Go in the face of great competition and receives favourable mentions in Barbara Cassani's book about that airline.

I've just read your comment in an LBA thread and I ought to say that BRS is not universally praised by local passengers, far from it at times. It comes in for a fair amount of criticism from correspondents in the local press with such things as drop-off charges, retail outlets taking over former passenger seating areas, long walks to aircraft and the awkward surface connectivity frequent topics for complaint.

Has anyone mentioned the new arrivals terminal at Bristol Airport. Its on the ground floor (the older one is in the basement or lower ground) and quite large and light. Not many flights go through there, maybe 5-6 a day in busy periods. About 5 immigration desks. Closed down in the winter. The passengers come back down for the baggage belts.

Has anyone mentioned the new arrivals terminal at Bristol Airport. Its on the ground floor (the older one is in the basement or lower ground) and quite large and light. Not many flights go through there, maybe 5-6 a day in busy periods. About 5 immigration desks. Closed down in the winter. The passengers come back down for the baggage belts.

It's not been mentioned. I wasn't aware of it.

Thank you for the information.

kraktoa said:

It opened last year and has little use, it also has access back in to the terminal and could be used for transiting passengers, but yet to be used for that purpose.

I've just completed the annual update of the BRS Overview (see previous post to this), with route details, airlines, passenger numbers on all routes in 2013 and airport developments in 2013.

Thanks for the comprehensive update, even with it's limitations I think BRS can be considered a real success story. One can't help but wonder just where BRS might be today had they moved to Filton.

It's something that is often commented on by the public in the local press. The only caveat I would draw is that Lulsgate was/still is wholly owned by the airport operator (originally Bristol City Council) whereas Filton was mainly a works aerodrome and any airport operator would have had to consider how much of the huge investment it would have needed to turn the place into a decent airport, and whether it would have been viable. Probably some sort of arrangement with the owners re investment would have been needed but it might have been a problem.

BAE tried to turn Filton into a city airport in the mid 1990s but, after a public enquiry, the relevant government minister rejected the application. Needless to say, the BRS owners didn't want it and were amongst the objectors.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock