Eastern Airways

geoff

Aug 3, 2018
Port Talbot
An article in the business section of Wales on Line, in relation to the CWL-Valley route, shows the Welsh Government paid out over £750,000 in 2020, for no flights being operated on the route, this information was released as a result of a FOI request. It appears that for this week, the BHD service is being operated by a Southampton aircraft, which is routing via CWL.{ according to CWL arrivals and departures boards}.

Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
I wonder if it was some sort of contractual obligation that they had to pay it?

geoff

Aug 3, 2018
Port Talbot
Yes it was apparently, the contract runs until 2023, and was valued at £8.3 million, so if they don't resume the Valley service, they will be paying out a lot more money again, without any flights.

Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
Must be some sort of severance clause in the contract?
If it's a contract until 2023 it'll be interesting to see if the route resumes or the WG may well be happy to pay Eastern off in the name of being environmentally friendly.

CM.

Apr 29, 2021
Leeds
It’s the same with LBA-NQY. Must seem demand isn’t there at the moment.

geoff

Aug 3, 2018
Port Talbot
I doubt they will be back at CWL, if CWL-Valley doesn't restart, let's hope that FlyBE have their eyes on the route when they start.

Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
I've been told elsewhere that the Welsh government told Eastern Airways to stop the Belfast City route. Maybe something connected as a clause in the VLY PSO.

Finger66

Aug 21, 2015
South Leeds
I don’t believe many governments are keen on any airline using an idle PSO aircraft for further commercial gain between PSO flights. Presume that’s in case the a/c gets delayed on a non PSO obligation sector. Not sure if that is true but would make some sense

Jerry

Staff member
Subscriber
Jun 1, 2016
Cardiff
I don’t believe many governments are keen on any airline using an idle PSO aircraft for further commercial gain between PSO flights. Presume that’s in case the a/c gets delayed on a non PSO obligation sector. Not sure if that is true but would make some sense
The Anglesey route is not in operation at the moment and i believe it is aloud for them to operate another route in between the PSO flights.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.