An article in the business section of Wales on Line, in relation to the CWL-Valley route, shows the Welsh Government paid out over £750,000 in 2020, for no flights being operated on the route, this information was released as a result of a FOI request. It appears that for this week, the BHD service is being operated by a Southampton aircraft, which is routing via CWL.{ according to CWL arrivals and departures boards}.

I wonder if it was some sort of contractual obligation that they had to pay it?

Yes it was apparently, the contract runs until 2023, and was valued at £8.3 million, so if they don't resume the Valley service, they will be paying out a lot more money again, without any flights.

Must be some sort of severance clause in the contract?
If it's a contract until 2023 it'll be interesting to see if the route resumes or the WG may well be happy to pay Eastern off in the name of being environmentally friendly.

It’s the same with LBA-NQY. Must seem demand isn’t there at the moment.

I doubt they will be back at CWL, if CWL-Valley doesn't restart, let's hope that FlyBE have their eyes on the route when they start.

I've been told elsewhere that the Welsh government told Eastern Airways to stop the Belfast City route. Maybe something connected as a clause in the VLY PSO.

I don’t believe many governments are keen on any airline using an idle PSO aircraft for further commercial gain between PSO flights. Presume that’s in case the a/c gets delayed on a non PSO obligation sector. Not sure if that is true but would make some sense

I don’t believe many governments are keen on any airline using an idle PSO aircraft for further commercial gain between PSO flights. Presume that’s in case the a/c gets delayed on a non PSO obligation sector. Not sure if that is true but would make some sense
The Anglesey route is not in operation at the moment and i believe it is aloud for them to operate another route in between the PSO flights.

"In 2019 Eastern Airways was awarded a Public Service Obligation (PSO) deal until February 2023. A public service obligation route links a remote part of the country to a capital city."
I wonder if the WG is just happy to pay Eastern until the contract runs out and then not put out another tender for the PSO?

The Welsh Government paid out over £800,000, last year when there were no flights at all, it seems ridiculous that they would pay this sort of money until 2023 with no flights operating. It was a big mistake putting transport into the brief of the climate change Minister, who does not seem to have any interest in the airport at all.

"In 2019 Eastern Airways was awarded a Public Service Obligation (PSO) deal until February 2023. A public service obligation route links a remote part of the country to a capital city."
I wonder if the WG is just happy to pay Eastern until the contract runs out and then not put out another tender for the PSO?
I thought the Welsh Conservatives opposed the route in the past which is what the linked report seems to suggest. Are they still against it in principle but take a current position that because the WG has already contracted Eastern to operate it until next year it might as well operate, at least until then?

The Conservatives were against the route in the past, but it now seems they would rather see it operating, rather than see the Labour Welsh Government pay out money just to honour the contract. Plaid Cymru have not stated their view on the matter which seems a bit strange, they were the biggest supporters of the route at one time, and were all for connecting the North of Wales with the South.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock