Bristol Airport Parking

Advertisement

superking

Platinum Member
Feb 14, 2013
Chaos around airport yesterday with the drop off zone. There was protests about the price of parking for the drop off zone,and cars could not get out of park which resulted in some drivers charged £20 to get out . there was a lot of bad feeling and tempers. Looks like the airport will have to sort out this problem.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes
Chaos around airport yesterday with the drop off zone. There was protests about the price of parking for the drop off zone,and cars could not get out of park which resulted in some drivers charged £20 to get out . there was a lot of bad feeling and tempers. Looks like the airport will have to sort out this problem.
I heard the item on BBC Radio Bristol yesterday morning. One motorist was interviewed who described the chaos. Unfortunately, the interviewer clearly had no idea where the Drop and Go Park is located at the airport and the interviewee had to explain.

There was no suggestion in the interview that I could glean that the barriers were faulty. The motorist kept saying that people were so frustrated at being charged more than the ten-minute £3 fee that queues built up as a result with, according to him, some people facing a £20 charge which is the fee for 40 minutes or more. He also said there were over a hundred cars waiting to get out and this was preventing other cars entering the park.

The motorist said there were no staff members present so he rang the airport from his car. According to him the switchboard operator said they would contact security. By then there was a cacophony of car horns sounded by the frustrated motorists in an attempt to attract airport attention.

Eventually, a staff member did attend and the barriers were raised to allow everyone out (free of charge I presume).

Funnily enough, when asked by the interviewer what he thought of the base fee of £3 that was recently raised from £1, the motorist didn't seem too bothered about that. The BBC interviewer said she objected to having to pay to drop people off.

The airport declined to put up anyone for interview but issued a written statement to the BBC saying they were aware that for a period on Sunday there was heavy traffic in the Drop and Go park and they apologised to anyone if inconvenience was caused. By the sound of it a lot of inconvenience was caused to a lot of people.

I think it's poor PR to refuse to face up and resort to hiding behind a written statement. Organisations often do this but frequently there are legal reasons for their action. I can't see that applies this time.

There are several exit barriers or there were in the summer when I dropped someone off at the park but clearly they are insufficient at busy times. The airport claimed a staff member was present. If that was the case why didn't they act sooner?

They also made the usual expected comment that they are looking at ways to improve the experience. Should not all that have been sorted out beforehand? One way is to have a clearly identified staff member present at all times with the authority to raise the barriers if people are trapped beyond the initial ten-minute £3 fee through no fault of their own.

kraktoa

Jun 16, 2013
Wait till people start to get their £100 fine for a 10 sec stop to let a friend out on the road in front of the terminal. Or a quick pick up by the zebra crossing. The van with a mounted camera circles that route all day. But some people get lucky and others dont. Wont be long before static cameras appear all along that road and fines are imposed.

TheLocalYokel

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 14, 2009
Wurzel Country
IMPORTANT!! To reduce spam, we request that you make a post soon after completing your registration. We request you keep your account active by posting regularly. Inactive accounts risk being deleted.
Yes

Another c*ck-up at BRS with the car parks. A man who dropped off his son yesterday and was out of the drop-off area within three or four minutes was charged £490 instead of the expected £3. He didn't check the amount when he left the car park (which was rather silly) but was later contacted by his credit card company who reported 'suspicious activity' on the card.

The man contacted the airport and it seems that he visited the airport a couple of weeks ago with the same vehicle when the number plate recognition technology recorded his arrival but not his departure, hence he was charged for two weeks stay in the drop-off area. It appears he was there when the chaotic scenes described in #82 occurred and people were eventually let out by a member of staff opening the barriers to ease the huge queues that had built up.

According to this man queues are still a feature at the drop-off area at busy times with drivers, through no fault of their own, being unable to get out until the next payment band.

The airport's technology is dire. On another topic I've still been unable to send a message to them using their Internet contact form. I've been trying for days and each time I receive a message saying, We experienced a technical difficulty while processing your request. Your data may not have been correctly saved.

Top Bottom