Kevin you are indeed correct. Around 1988/9 there was a sudden expansion of dedicated freight traffic following the introduction of TNT and Fedex. This also attracted the attention of UPS who were far greater in size then. I was present at a meeting with the top brass from UPS who had set out their vision for European expansion based on BHX. Although site constraints were an issue, everyone was positive it would work. However, the Airport Committee rejected it wholesale, particularly with Solihull Council being vehemently opposed. In addition, British Airways, who had invested heavily in a loss making transit shed, also made their usual threats.The rest of course, is history and a continued reflection of the mis-management of this splendid resource.

Hi there all, the trouble with Birmingham Airport management has always been, sit on the fence and see what happens, well this is what happened when they didn't seize the opportunity with the current airport to extend the runway, thus causing reduction in flights - ie- long haul planning, which then allowed Manchester Airport to seize its opportunity and build and expand, with a futurist idea that has paid off handsomely, two runaways, capable of now handling more than its present 25 million plus, I think with Manchester Airport management vision it could easily challenge and over take Gatwick Airport at currently 35 million plus, I can see in the next ten years plus for Manchester Airport and its future expansion easily achieving 40-50 million plus. Where as Birmingham Airport will struggle to handle up to more than 15 million in the next ten to fifteen years. Because airlines will start to lose patience with Birmingham Airport and how it deals with its business deals. This is where Birmingham Airport now desparatly needs proper investment from some one like global infrastructure partners, what they have done to all the airports they control, whereas Birmingham City Council and its other six councils are holding Birmingham Airport back... Andyc

Kevin you are indeed correct. Around 1988/9 there was a sudden expansion of dedicated freight traffic following the introduction of TNT and Fedex. This also attracted the attention of UPS who were far greater in size then. I was present at a meeting with the top brass from UPS who had set out their vision for European expansion based on BHX. Although site constraints were an issue, everyone was positive it would work. However, the Airport Committee rejected it wholesale, particularly with Solihull Council being vehemently opposed. In addition, British Airways, who had invested heavily in a loss making transit shed, also made their usual threats.The rest of course, is history and a continued reflection of the mis-management of this splendid resource.

Yep it seems that the Night Flying policy precludes any serious cargo operations from any of the major parcel carriers these days.

Looking into it BHX is limited to 5% of annual movements or 877 night departures per year (whichever is lower), which is less than 2.5 departures a day.

Interestingly though, BHX is not bound by the DfT to even have a Night Flying policy, it could theoretically operate unlimited night flights, however it seems they agreed to have the policy as a S106 condition for a Planning Permission with Solihull Council ( I assume this was for the runway extension, not sure.)

I well remember TNT with their Quiet Trader 146 fleet (their sales rep was always chasing business), also remember Lufthansa using 737QC for their overnight freighter service (shared with Aer Lingus if memory serves me right). I remember Lufthansa bringing in a 74F for motor cars, Cargolux bringing in Dire Straits. Birmingham has in the past had a very healthy relationship with cargo and still could. It needs the upper management to get a grip and make a decision over priorities for BHX and then stick with it. It also needs the Airlines to support the Airport, but, Airlines have already got their business plans in place and will not change them in a hurry without incurring substantial financial costs.

also remember Lufthansa using 737QC for their overnight freighter service (shared with Aer Lingus if memory serves me right).

Now you mention it, I remember that service too. Was there not also a regular B727 cargo service? Sabre springs to mind, but I may be confusing that with a pax operator.

Kevin

I can remember the DC-9s of SAS and Alitalia operating to Copenhagen and Milan early 70s I think.

Weren't the Heralds operated by Securicor?

727 was TNT... I can remember the fairly regular Seaboard CL44 & Tradewinds. Also EI 737QC & KLM Electra with pax & freight on same flight

The history of BHX seems to be littered with missed opportunities :(

Concise and clear (off the main topic but allowable). I would not be surprised if Paul Kehoe left prior to the Masterplan IF he knew what was laid out.

Yes i agree in 2016 Corona was just a foreign beer and no one knew what was to transpire when someone either did an Ozzy (or more likely some scientist dropped a very big one), but getting back to cargo operations, we have gone from originally having British Airways, MAS, Servisair (now Swissport) along with various Hauliers operating bonded vehicles to (as of now), Swissport, Dnata, Carousel and Fedex. Obviously the last two concentrate on their own business and leave well alone on everything else. We then have Blue City and Signature also handling flights (Blue City certainly handling cargo, I am not sure about Signature). I remember BA in Hangar 3 while Servisair were in Forward House and MAS being at the side of the old terminal with Emery inside the terminal building. Agents stretched the length of Hangar Lane (apart from the Silver Wings club) with Customs Long Room upstairs in Hangar 3. Between buyouts and mergers (and British Airways deciding to pull out entirely) we are left with 2 fulltime bonded warehouses for general use (Swissport which is only partially in use from the original design) and Dnata (which started out as the Fedex facility until they left back in the 90's when it was taken over by what became Menzies Cargo until they bailed and Dnata took it on).

The proposed Cargo village has never left the drawing board, the Freeport which was supposed to be the future for forwarding opened and then became general warehousing without a fanfare. Forward House is virtually empty with 3 Forwarding Agents, the flight doctor, a taxi company and NCP in residence. Gone are the days of every office occupied by Agents or Airlines with a waiting list to get in there. BHX in my opinion have ignored cargo as an unwanted child, only now it would seem realising that there is revenue to be made (especially as the passenger numbers have been flushed away).

Most other Airports have adapted to ensure cargo is, if not encouraged, at least able to expand if required or consolidate if needed (normally after Companies being taken over). BHX dont seem to give a monkeys if cargo lives or dies.

Looking at FR24 and Ian’s blog I have noticed a large number of ad hoc flights in the last few days including West Atlantic, Jota Aviation, Businesswings, Sprintair, Nyx Air, Flightline, Air Taxi Europe and Vulkan Air (the last using an AN-26).

Fleetair and Zimex now have at least 2-3 aircraft here every day.

Looking at FR24 and Ian’s blog I have noticed a large number of ad hoc flights in the last few days including West Atlantic, Jota Aviation, Businesswings, Sprintair, Nyx Air, Flightline, Air Taxi Europe and Vulkan Air (the last using an AN-26).

Fleetair and Zimex now have at least 2-3 aircraft here every day.

My Blog ...

Just been looking at todays arrivals and appears to be about fifteen ranging in size from the Fed Express 757 downward at this rate the old Elmdon site will be busier than the main terminals this winter when you add in the private traffic as well.
I presume that some of this is traffic is down to Covid, JLR and a bit of Brexit.

Also note there's an unusual visitor of a AN74 of Motor Sich.

Info via Mr Farquharsons site.

I often wonder what is behind the increasing array of cargo carriers. Although modest sized aircraft generally, we do get the occasional 'heavy'. JLR is the most obvious user, but does anyone know of other regular reasons for these visits?. Great for BHX though and enthusiasts .

Like the great days of MAEL and the splendid variation of aircraft and airlines, the heritage terminal is interesting but until BHX management sanction an expansion of Cargo Ops, East Midlands will grab it all. Do the Chinese own anything of significance in the Birmingham area other than a ghost car maker?

The main reason for the increased number of cargo carriers is due to the reduction in the number of PAX flights (which reduces the amount of space available to Agents such as myself to use). Certain Companies who operate on "just in time" principle will insist on uplift for a pallet of goods to be moved just to ensure the line does not stop running. This is not just the big operations like JLR (although they are the most likely culprit) but a lot of smaller operations also run under the same principle. As for the "heavies" most of those movements are pre-planned or one-off charters. You will never find out who these operate for unless you are directly involved with the process (either handling or processing documentation) for the shipments. Whilst the industry is in the doldrums at the moment there are the occasional bright spots which show things are still happening. Freight forwarding is in for a tough couple of months (along with most other industries) but this will certainly not be helped by Brexit from January 1st.

I thought the following might be of interest - cargo tonnage for 2019/2020

Jan-19​
Feb-19​
Mar-19​
Apr-19​
May-19​
Jun-19​
Jul-19​
Aug-19​
Sep-19​
Oct-19​
Nov-19​
Dec-19​
2462.288​
2145.088​
2530.26​
2286.721​
2667.838​
2557.033​
3104.533​
2451.691​
2467.288​
2870.115​
2226.329​
2096.46​
Jan-20​
Feb-20​
Mar-20​
Apr-20​
May-20​
Jun-20​
Jul-20​
Aug-20​
Sep-20​
2193.399​
2374.885​
1949.205​
268.473​
489.341​
925.643​
1406.322​
1106.88​
1763.84​

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock