Good to hear the most important escalator was working, where are the doom sayers when you want them?
Where are all the complainers congratulating LBA for using it (getting it fixed?).
I am fortunate that, although in my 70's, I am very mobile, so I can walk up the steps quicker.
There is obviously some truth in the saying that people are quick to moan but slow to congratulate.

Where are all the complainers congratulating LBA for using it (getting it fixed?).
I am fortunate that, although in my 70's, I am very mobile, so I can walk up the steps quicker.
There is obviously some truth in the saying that people are quick to moan but slow to congratulate.
It's never been broken though. Just switched off if it's busy. They are not allowed to turn it on if there's any risk of a queue at the top of the escalator and stairs. HSE directive. So any congratulations are purely for remembering where the on/off switch is!

It's nice to know that it was working this time though. Sadly it won't be working much once we get into the summer...but I agree, some are quick to complain when it's off and say nowt when it's on. Thankfully, by next year it wont even be needed any more.

Utter Nanny State stupidity..How did we manage life before the HSE...I know...answers on a postcards please...
Many thanks for the update though Heather
Not really. The problem is that the top of the escalator is adjacent to the top of the stairs and potentially, the end of the queue for Border Force. In the past, situations have arisen where people reaching the top of the escalator couldn't get off it because of people reaching the top of the stairs and/or queuing. So people were piling up at the top of a moving escalator which is dangerous. There has to be a clear exit from the escalator and no risk of a queue developing.

Flying out today at 16:40. Got to airport, security queue seemed long but screens stated less than 20 mins to wait- so we queued. To getting our tray was 41 minutes! Airport arent doing themselves any favours, I think more people would have paid for fastrack if they had known. 2 scanners only in operation- both the new type.
Can't see any connection between my post about the arrivals escalator and the time queuing to depart so not sure why you are quoting me?

Not really. The problem is that the top of the escalator is adjacent to the top of the stairs and potentially, the end of the queue for Border Force. In the past, situations have arisen where people reaching the top of the escalator couldn't get off it because of people reaching the top of the stairs and/or queuing. So people were piling up at the top of a moving escalator which is dangerous. There has to be a clear exit from the escalator and no risk of a queue developing.
Surely it's not beyond man's wit to devise a system with support staff in place, maybe, to manage this situation. The escalator is a God send for many people, my wife included and waiting ages to be crammed into a small lift doesn't appeal either..
But I suppose it's easier to just turn it off and ignore the problem... happens most of the time these days

Surely it's not beyond man's wit to devise a system with support staff in place, maybe, to manage this situation. The escalator is a God send for many people, my wife included and waiting ages to be crammed into a small lift doesn't appeal either..
But I suppose it's easier to just turn it off and ignore the problem... happens most of the time these days
No, the airport did that initially to keep it running. The decision it must be turned off was taken by the HSE. Believe me, LBA are heartily sick of the criticism they get over this but they have no way of overcoming it without major works to the terminal which would require planning consent and significant costs that make such works non viable. The availability of a lift means the airport are still ticking the boxes for how they manage people with disabilities. It's all about 'reasonable adjustments' and the lift covers that.

A year from now it won't be a problem.

Flew to BTS yesterday afternoon at 16:40 right at the tail end of the afternoon rush. Free drop off area was absolutely rammed- almost gridlocked. Ryanair self service bag labelling was easy to use and no queue at the bag drop.Queue for security was long but as monitors stated 'less than 20 mins' we queued. In fact it took just over 40 mins to get to the scanner. There were 2 lanes open, both new scanners. They were having issues with items not being scanned properly and the person responsible for manual checks was rushed off his feet sending bags back for re-scanning. By the time we got into departures there were plenty of seats, bit of a walk to gate 9 but overall a good experience apart from the mis information regarding the queueing time.

Just arrived at LBA for our Fue adventure,again, to be met by a mega queue for security stretching back to Hall B, almost..The screen was showing 25mins delay...hmmm...We had paid for fast track, my wife has arthritis in her knee so this is essential spending for us...We were through in 10 mins and it's great not having to take anything out of the bags...The staff were relaxed, pleasant and very helpful...a lot less stress on them shows as well...

Well done LBA...great improvement...airport busy but not manic presently enjoying coffee and a bap in the Camden but so far all good

Just arrived at LBA for our Fue adventure,again, to be met by a mega queue for security stretching back to Hall B, almost..The screen was showing 25mins delay...hmmm...We had paid for fast track, my wife has arthritis in her knee so this is essential spending for us...We were through in 10 mins and it's great not having to take anything out of the bags...The staff were relaxed, pleasant and very helpful...a lot less stress on them shows as well...

Well done LBA...great improvement...airport busy but not manic presently enjoying coffee and a bap in the Camden but so far all good
Should be much improved again in a couple of weeks time when all four lanes are open with new scanners in place.
Enjoy your flight and holiday.

Return from BTS yesterday was a breeze. 10 mins to wait for bus to arrive, escalator working*, fast moving immigration queue, bags on carousel when we got into baggage hall. Only negative was landside downstairs toilets.

*I understood escalator required a staff member at top for safety reasons but no member of staff at top or bottom.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock