Nostalgia at BHX

rollo

Aug 26, 2014
Brilliant work Elmdon74. The 1971 list really took me back to my youth. Amazing how many of the registrations are etched in the memory.

Yes great work by Elmdon 74, talking of registrations the one that sticks in my mind is G-ASSM the HS125 owned and based at Elmdon by BSR Ltd in the 1960s it looked really cool in venacular of the time when is entering my somewhat poor attempt of being a hippy, presently going through the miserable old git phase by all accounts.

Superb memories Elmdon 74, thank you.

HPsauce

Feb 11, 2020
Birmingham B36
G-ASSM was a fab little plane in the early days of the 'biz-jet' as they became known. An early series 1 aircraft but quite a looker. BSR Ltd were a Birmingham Company ( Birmingham Sound Reproduction i believe) and made turntables for vinyl record players. GKN had 4 very different aircraft based, including a small helicopter. Tube Investments had a DH Heron based .

rollo

Aug 26, 2014
Yes I remember the GKN mini fleet (was there a King Air) and Tube Investments Heron also retain a soft spot for Midland Air School with their little Tri-Pacers.

HPsauce

Feb 11, 2020
Birmingham B36
Yes, GKN had a King Air, BN Islander, Bolkow helicopter and if i remember correctly, a HS125 G-ATWH. I do recall Midland Air School Piper Tri-Pacers, and Warwickshire Aero Club Cessna C150's and a single C172.

EZYA319

Jun 22, 2020
Liverpool
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to pick people brains, if possible, about the 'Eurohub' terminal at Birmingham.

So I know when it opened and the reasons behind this - BA's attempt at a hub-and-spoke system back in the 90's.

However I'm trying to gather some information regarding the terminals operation after BA's departure.....

- When was the 'Eurohub' name dropped? Was this after BA's departure or before this?
- The terminal then became known as Terminal 2 before the two terminals were integrated in May 2011. What is the terminal now known as? Just a pier?
- When did BA operate from BHX to JFK?
- When did AA operate from BHX to ORD?
- When did BA sell their shares in Eurohub?
- Other airlines that have used the terminal/pier over the years - I know Air France and KLM were there for a while. Flybe, Jet2 and Ryanair. Any others?
- Any other information regarding the terminal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
I will have a go at some of them but I am not exactly known for having a great memory so I am more than happy to be corrected.

- The terminal then became known as Terminal 2 before the two terminals were integrated in May 2011. What is the terminal now known as? Just a pier?

I believe that it is now known as the 'South Terminal'.

- When did BA operate from BHX to JFK?

Continental started around 1997 and I seem to think BA ended JFK around a similar time? No idea what year it started though?

- When did AA operate from BHX to ORD?

I seem to remember this route ending after 9/11, I have a feeling that it started around 94/95ish?

- Other airlines that have used the terminal/pier over the years - I know Air France and KLM were there for a while. Flybe, Jet2 and Ryanair. Any others?

I think Sabena may have used it and possibly Eastern Airways back in the day?

thunderchild

Aug 29, 2013
Lichfield
I think BA started JFK in 1993 but to quote Ken Bruce I could be one year out.

There is a photo somewhere of a Norwegian 737-800 parked at the old Eurohub and they were rumoured to be moving over to that side at one point but it never happened. Air Blue were supposedly planning to use it too.

Might Aurigny/Blue Islands/Loganair use it now?

EZYA319

Jun 22, 2020
Liverpool
Thanks for the responses everyone. Does anyone know when the 'Eurohub' name was dropped and also when BA sold its shares in the terminal back to BHX?

Ray Finkle

Staff member
Apr 22, 2012
Birmingham
Does anyone know when the 'Eurohub' name was dropped

A quick look through Solihull MBC planning history shows an application in July 2000 using the description 'Main Terminal' and one in May 2003 using the description 'Terminal 1' so that's narrowed it a little, sorry I can't be more specific.

No idea when BA sold it's Eurohub shares.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.