Ryanair

Advertisement

airforced

May 5, 2010
North Yorkshire
If we have a 2nd or 3rd wave there will be very little travel industry left. It's decimated enough after 1 wave. The recovery doesn't then bear thinking about
I think that is right and I fear that may well happen.

The opening of air corridors has nothing to do with public health. It is all driven by an economic imperative and the reports in the press suggest that there has been a rush by Brits to book flights and holidays for what is left of this summer. I may be being my usual cautious self but it worries me. I think there will be consequences.

fight2win

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2018
baildon
www.easydrive-yorkshire.co.uk
From what im seeing on the Facebook Groups Benidorm room people are just desperate to get out to spain with a massive surge in sept/oct and the winter period. Don't blame them, anything to get out of this country! its that fine line though between having an economy left and peoples lives! Saying that if we had no economy left it would affect peoples health anyway!

airforced

May 5, 2010
North Yorkshire
I think it would be prudent to consider if there were further covid-19 spikes and lockdown was reintroduced where that would leave the airline industry. I appreciate the need, where feasible, to get things going again but worry about the pace of it and whether the timing has been rushed for the sake of the economy.

White Heather

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
I think it would be prudent to consider if there were further covid-19 spikes and lockdown was reintroduced where that would leave the airline industry. I appreciate the need, where feasible, to get things going again but worry about the pace of it and whether the timing has been rushed for the sake of the economy.
It's not just the economy though. It's thousands of businesses and people's ability to live, pay bills etc. and if lockdown had gone on longer it would have become much worse than it already is. That would create it's own health problems mainly mental.
Ultimately it's a risk assessment. If we stayed locked down longer, some lives might be saved but the impact across the country could become far worse with a much longer recovery period. It still wouldn't prevent a second wave if one comes.
Personally I think the Government are damned if they do and damned if they don't. I think they have done the right thing but sadly there are many people without enough brain cells to realise that crowding on to Bournemouth beach or having rave ups is likely to make things worse. Not sure we can blame the Government for people acting like idiots.

Sherburnflyer92

Premium Member+
Subscriber
May 7, 2011
37,000FT - soon!
It's not just the economy though. It's thousands of businesses and people's ability to live, pay bills etc. and if lockdown had gone on longer it would have become much worse than it already is. That would create it's own health problems mainly mental.
I've been saying this for a number of months/weeks. And what point does the lockdown have a greater effect on the UK than COVID does its self?

Rob c DSA

Premium Member+
Subscriber
May 27, 2017
worksop
Any second wave (likely to some extent) will be localised and like they are talking about with Leicester will shut down specific area's not the whole country.

The government can't win however I have no sympathy or respect for them seeing as they let the Cheltenham Festival go ahead and certainly made things worse by doing it.

lbaspotter

Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
www.lbaspotters.net
So finally we have confirmation Ryanair's LBA base was/is at threat of closure.

Ryanair pilots have agreed to accept a 20% pay cut to save 260 jobs. Negotiations continue to save further 70 at risk jobs at 4 UK airports Leeds/Bradford, Bournemouth, London Southend & Glasgow Prestwick which all faced closure.

Last edited:

Severn

Premium Member
Subscriber
Mar 24, 2012
Bristol, UK
Taken from the article:

In May Ryanair had announced that 330 pilot jobs were at risk in the UK including 70 from four potential base closures (Leeds Bradford, Prestwick, Bournemouth and Southend).

Following intensive negotiations between BALPA and Ryanair a package of cost savings was put together. Pilots have agreed to accept a 20% pay reduction in order to save 260 of the jobs that were at risk, with most of the rest linked to the possible base closures which is still to be resolved. We will remain in negotiations with the airline about those jobs and aim to protect those too.

If I’ve read the article correctly, the 330 pilots have taken a 20% paycut but the fate of the 70 pilots who were from the four bases at risk of closure is still yet to be decided. Hopefully all four bases remain open but if I’m not mistaken, all are stillat risk of closure? Fingers crossed to all involved.

White Heather

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
That explains the absence of a summer 2021 programme yet then. More folder for GALBA to gloat over. No doubt they will help the pilots and crews find sustainable jobs if the axe does eventually fall on LBA.

White Heather

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2009
Leeds
I feel sure they would, using aircraft based in Spain, Poland, Malta etc. but let's hope it doesn't happen. Why is LBA always a victim though? Why base at two NW airports and not one in the NE? No doubt our crap terminal might have something to do with it, but Ryanair are no strangers to crap terminals. They should feel right at home at LBA! Their loads were always good.
Maybe all a way to negotiate wages down and landing fees down too. LBA management effectively have one hand tied behind their backs when negotiating with airlines and Ryanair are ruthless negotiators.

LBAYORKIE

Dec 30, 2009
I suspect ecomomies of scale have something to do with it. Really need a min of three aircraft at each base.

Top Bottom