I won't post the whole article but another accolade means that the back slapping can continue.

I notice that Tom Screen has Tweeted that he wants to go to Seville. Well he has the choice of Gatwick, Luton, Stansted, Manchester, Bristol and even East Midlands, sadly just not BHX :(

Makes no sense that an airport of BHX's size serving the catchment that it does has no Seville service. At Bristol easyJet and Ryanair fly there, both year-round. There is an Airbus connection at both ends but I wouldn't have thought that would make a great deal of difference.

I won't post the whole article but another accolade means that the back slapping can continue.

I notice that Tom Screen has Tweeted that he wants to go to Seville. Well he has the choice of Gatwick, Luton, Stansted, Manchester, Bristol and even East Midlands, sadly just not BHX :(

We could really do with Ryanair closing their EMA base and moving all services to BHX :ROFLMAO:

BIRMINGHAM AIRPORT REVEALED AS ONE OF THE UK'S BEST LARGE AIRPORTS

What a strange headline to lead a news story on your own website.
Has it been hidden under a the cloak that has just been whisked away?
Possibly composed by somebody the morning after the do.
If your the best shout about it.
If you are "one of the best" let it lie. You are admitting there are better.
Still some work to do the with PR dept. but they are getting better.

Makes no sense that an airport of BHX's size serving the catchment that it does has no Seville service. At Bristol easyJet and Ryanair fly there, both year-round.

Oh it doesn't stop at Seville.

Birmingham also has no regular services to Lisbon, Athens, Reykjavik, Gibraltar, Basel, Bilbao, Toulouse, Stockholm, Olbia, Brindisi, Kaunas/Vilnius and Valencia, all of which are available from BRS.

It's why so many are desperate to see an easyjet base to finally get some of these routes back :(

Oh it doesn't stop at Seville.

Birmingham also has no regular services to Lisbon, Athens, Reykjavik, Gibraltar, Basel, Bilbao, Toulouse, Stockholm, Olbia, Brindisi, Kaunas/Vilnius and Valencia, all of which are available from BRS.

It's why so many are desperate to see an easyjet base to finally get some of these routes back :(

Seeing Rays list it does make you wonder what the development team have been doing over the last few years or quite possibly they have been constrained by previous senior management policies in wanting to protect the legacy carriers to a degree hopefully the new regime can follow up on its recent progress and contacts with a certain airline.

BHX must be ripe for a proper low cost base and personally I do not see the likes of Lufthansa, KLM or Air France backing off as they want to protect their hubs and wouldn't much be effected by the destinations mentioned.

Seeing Rays list it does make you wonder what the development team have been doing over the last few years or quite possibly they have been constrained by previous senior management policies in wanting to protect the legacy carriers to a degree hopefully the new regime can follow up on its recent progress and contacts with a certain airline.

BHX must be ripe for a proper low cost base and personally I do not see the likes of Lufthansa, KLM or Air France backing off as they want to protect their hubs and wouldn't much be effected by the destinations mentioned.

I can't remember who said it but that line from an interview still sticks with me, 'we continued to back the wrong airlines' (or words to that effect).

With his extensive experience gained at LTN in dealing with low cost airlines all eyes are now on Mr Barton.

The link below is from an interview with Nick Barton. The vast majority of it is about the terminal developments and other associated works along with improvements to the overall passenger experience. The only mention of anything route wise is copied below :unsure:

One challenge will be in attracting more prestige carriers: the airport already has 50 airlines flying from its runway, including tailfins from the likes of Emirates, Turkish, Qatar and Air India. Last year British Airways made a tentative return, after a decade, by flying summer-only services. Barton thinks that more can be brought in simply by making the business case.

He says: “The Midlands has got a great case as the UK’s second-fastest growing region and that will drive traffic. It’s an incredibly successful place and home to Britain’s second biggest city.

“But there’s a limited number of aircraft and they can as easily be based in France, Spain or Italy, without any major restrictions, as here. Operators will go where the business is – if a cost base here is too high, and a carrier can operate more profitably in Poland, off they’ll go.”

I see Manchester airport was crowned as the best airport in the UK and Ireland’s at the Travel Trade Gazette awards. Interesting as Which? crowned the same airport as one of the worst UK airports (Terminal 3). For Birmingham it's still great to see some consistency with these awards. It's testament to all the hard work the airport is doing to improve it's image and customer service.

I see Manchester airport was crowned as the best airport in the UK and Ireland’s at the Travel Trade Gazette awards. Interesting as Which? crowned the same airport as one of the worst UK airports (Terminal 3). For Birmingham it's still great to see some consistency with these awards. It's testament to all the hard work the airport is doing to improve it's image and customer service.
And the problem with awards is... Let's celebrate them all. I agree, I think consistency is key and BHX seems to be there or there about near the top. And it will get better.

Birmingham's 10 biggest mistakes and number 9 is the airport.

While Birmingham Airport claims to be a success due to the growth in passenger numbers, in human terms it's like a kid who seems to be fully grown at the age of 12.

Birmingham's 10 biggest mistakes and number 9 is the airport.

While Birmingham Airport claims to be a success due to the growth in passenger numbers, in human terms it's like a kid who seems to be fully grown at the age of 12.

And every bit of that review is spot on imo

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Great article. Interesting to make a comparison with how the Aston Expressway ripped the heart out of Aston, Nechells and to a lessor extent Newtown and has made it impossible to revive those districts, and the Metro which even i was surprised is going to take NINE YEARS!! to extend from Snow Hill to Five Ways. In the meantime the construction is having the same effect on parts of the city centre that the expressway had on the suburbs.

The city's quickest gateway to foreign cities is, like the neighbouring NEC, handy for the local motorway networks and Birmingham International Railway Station.

And yet it feels more like Birmingham Airport is being run like a domestic airport with package holidays bolted on rather than as a genuine international hub.

If Birmingham had expanded in line with its city status there would be no debate about the need for another runway at Heathrow.

giphy.gif

We have a one or two changes this month, some good others not so.

Air Arabia end their 2x weekly service to Agadir on the 25th. This is due to them closing the Agadir base with only a few domestic routes remaining.

Blue Air will end Larnaca on the 26th. As we know they have Brexit concerns about flying a Romanian registered aircraft between the UK and Cyprus meaning BHX and LTN are both cut. Bucharest continues throughout winter and is back to 5x weekly next summer so lets hope that they can bring Larnaca back at some point in the future.

Flybe end Hanover and Hamburg with other routes stopping for winter. The less said about them the better at the moment.

Lauda start their 3x weekly Vienna on the 29th. With Austrian taking over from Eurowings next year and going daily from March it will be a route that will go from 4x weekly this year to 10x weekly next year. An interesting one to watch.

Pinching a bit of Nov we see Jet2 join Wizz to Budapest from the 8th when they start 2x weekly flights.

Understatement.

An investigation is needed in to the policy of bhx shareholders.

It's almost as if they are working for MAG !!

It's gone too far now not to seriously need to know what the hell is going on down there, .....

Can shareholders be separated from management? I did not choose business law when doing my studies, rather it was constitutional and other niche areas like medical and treaties etc., but from memory directors of companies have a duty to shareholders.

One would like to see the Articles and mission statement of the airport company and to see how they are being observed. Thus armed, one can come to judgement upon the performance of the board.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock